Beginners and Beyond

Jim's Last Group Run Article (Read 98 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This is a really amazing article about a runner who died when after being struck by a car while running, and how his beloved running group honored him at his funeral....get your tissues ready

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/jims-last-group-run?page=single

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

That was a pretty neat idea.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

+1.   Sad about Jim, how he went.    Sounds like his fellow runners in his area lost a truly good person and good friend. What a wonderful way to honor his memory.   I will have to tell Gail about this,  I might borrow that idea for when my time comes.      Thanks for sharing, Kristin.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Love the Half

That is great.  I plan to steal that idea.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

+1!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Being a motorcyclist, cyclist and runner, I am always interested to learn what happened when an accident occurs involving any of them.  Mostly because you want to avoid doing the same thing, but also there's that feeling that it could have been you.

I was informed of this tragedy by someone who knew Jim a week ago, here is a (link) to the story that covered the accident.

Paved trails are very common here where you must cross a main road to continue onto the trail.  Unfortunately, it remains unclear why Jim did not see the vehicle before he crossed into the road, or maybe he did and tried to outrun it.  We will likely never know.

51 is so young, and yes, that could have been any of us.

Walk-Jogger

Being a motorcyclist, cyclist and runner, I am always interested to learn what happened when an accident occurs involving any of them.  Mostly because you want to avoid doing the same thing, but also there's that feeling that it could have been you.

I was informed of this tragedy by someone who knew Jim a week ago, here is a (link) to the story that covered the accident.

Paved trails are very common here where you must cross a main road to continue onto the trail.  Unfortunately, it remains unclear why Jim did not see the vehicle before he crossed into the road, or maybe he did and tried to outrun it.  We will likely never know.

51 is so young, and yes, that could have been any of us.

A sad thing for sure, and I have no particular knowledge of what happened or why he didn't see the car. One possibility that I can imagine, because I've done it a couple of times in my life is that he looked one way for traffic and simply forgot to look the other way. I've crossed a major arterial road on my bicycle twice in  the distant past, looking intently in one direction and for whatever reason, totally forgot to look the other way. Possibly from confusion caused by living in a town with lots of one-way streets. I was fortunate that there was not a car coming. I was much younger when these things happened, so can' t blame it on age . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Love the Half

I have, on more than one occasion, been caught up in my running and not come to a full stop when crossing a road.  I think I'll change that practice and make it a point to come to a complete stop and look carefully before heading on across.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).