Beginners and Beyond

PM to LRB (Read 96 times)

hog4life

When does registration open for Detour Free Press? Any perks to register early? I'll be there for 2015.

LRB

Registration opens on New Years Day at 12:01 AM. In years past it was $65.00 for a month or so, last year it was $70.00 for a week.

The price increases over the spring and summer and peaks in August at something like $115.00 or possibly more, I am not sure because I register the first week!

Even at $70.00, you cannot beat it for the swag and the event itself.

Cyberic

Racing is expensive. I was looking at registering for 3 5Ks this spring and realize how much of a cheap bastard I am Smile I have't registered to any yet.

Yeah, a full for 70$ is a good deal.

When does registration open for Detour Free Press? Any perks to register early? I'll be there for 2015.

If only there was some interconnected computer network you could access, where you could find this kind of information.

But seriously it is an excellent event - well organized, scenic course, good crowd support, and some cool homemade aid stations in the neighborhoods. I would definitely do it again; not sure if I will yet, I can't plan that far in advance. But yes if you are sure you're doing it, you will definitely save some $$ by registering early, like any other race. I think it might have actually ended up at $125 last year, probably par for the course for a big-city-type marathon.

MTA: just so happened to run in the race shirt this morning. And passed another runner also wearing it.

Dave

LRB

Racing is expensive. I was looking at registering for 3 5Ks this spring and realize how much of a cheap bastard I am...

You are not alone. My goal 5k is $45 on race day. I could have money coming out of my wazoo and that is still absolutely ridiculous.

B-Plus

Racing is expensive. I was looking at registering for 3 5Ks this spring and realize how much of a cheap bastard I am Smile I have't registered to any yet.

Yeah, a full for 70$ is a good deal.

Have you done any of those MEC races? They're really no frills, but great value at $15 a pop. Not certified though.

Little Blue

I'm wondering if the Detour Free Press is an autofill typo, or do lots of marathoners get lost on the course?

Cyberic

Have you done any of those MEC races? They're really no frills, but great value at $15 a pop. Not certified though.

I'll have a look at them. For where I am now in my running, I couldn't care less if a course is certified or not. I just want to run a few 5Ks to diversify my racing experience and my training a bit. But at 40-45$ a race I will do a few time trials on my own and target maybe one or two races. But 15$ is nice. I ran a 10K last spring for 20$.

LRB

I'm wondering if the Detour Free Press is an autofill typo, or do lots of marathoners get lost on the course?

lol

There actually was a detour this year due to construction, which caused the closure of a major road artery down to the stupid thing.

There actually was a detour this year due to construction, which caused the closure of a major road artery down to the stupid thing.

Yeah, I don't know about you, but the portion of that race on a closed-down section of freeway was one of my more surreal running experiences.

Dave

LRB

Yeah, I don't know about you, but the portion of that race on a closed-down section of freeway was one of my more surreal running experiences.

Totally bizarre.

B-Plus

lol

A few years ago the van marathon turned out to be long and they adjusted mid race 

http://runningmagazine.ca/the-bmo-vancouver-marathon-was-382m-long/

B-Plus

I have yet to make a post on topic in this thread.

LRB

I have yet to make a post on topic in this thread.

I am heading to the movies.

Docket_Rocket

I am heading to the movies.

I saw The Hobbit yesterday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page