Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins, what's on the race schedule? (Read 31 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Gooooood Morning penguins! I think I have pulled 2 more into the flock, my sister and cousin (12 and 16) are going to start running. My cousin has been very interested for a while now and she is going to go to our race with us Saturday and see what it's all about.

Ran 5 miles last night 9:07m/m pace but I did have a 20lb stroller with a 35lb kid, made me remember how hard running was when I was fat, the only upside though is I'm still faster now with the extra weight then I was then Smile hahaha

Sitting at 63.5 miles for the month, I have to run roughly 3.65 miles per day until the end of the month and I will be in the triple digits! I"m so excited... I will admit though I bitched and moaned and groaned about running lastnight but as always I felt much better afterwards. Oh! and my leg didn't hurt any, its been giving me trouble for something like a month and a half now :/ probably should have went to a orthopedic but then he would tell me something like "you need to rest for a week or two" and then I couldn't run! THE HORROR!

Doing a small race tomorrow, I looked at the race report last year and only 33 people ran it and according to that race report I could easily snag a AG award this year, I'm shooting for sub 25 which would have gotten me like 2nd place last year. We will see what happens Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Feeling better but not sure if I'll run.  We'll see.  No more stomach issues, yay, but I'm barely eating still.

jblack, yay for pulling more to the flock!

Damaris

Dad on the run.

Docket - Sorry your not feeling well, hope you get to feeling better soon!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Docket and jblack!

jblackjr- nice job recruiting more runners! Take care of that leg, even if someone says you need to take a week off, a week off may be better than more time off down the road if it doesn't get better!

Docket- glad you are finally feeling better!!

Race schedule? For me I have a 5K this weekend. It is the NY Giants 5K that I am running with my dad. It is at MetLife Stadium and finishes in the endzone! My dad has trained really hard for this race, I am excited for the race and for him to run his first 5K ever!

I decided to do my run after work today. Fridays I get done at 3:30, so I could sleep in a little this morning, and still have daylight and energy after work to do it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday !!!  RD #2 for me.  Hip feels pretty good.  On my way to the health club and lift some weights.  Good luck to you and your dad with the 5K, Kristin.

Have a great weekend !!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - Exciting stuff!  Not to mention 3 races weekends in a row.  WOW

Docket - It's good to hear that you're feeling better.  I know that if my stomach gives me problems, its tough when it gets better because my stomach still won't feel like taking in food.  Ugh.

JBlack - Keep it up man.  You guys are inspiring a lot of people, and that's awesome.

AFM - I somehow upset the top of my foot last night.  I was able to finish my 7.5 mile run, and run another 4.15 this morning.  I'm going to shut it down for the rest of the day today, and see how it feels in the morning.  It was one of those stupid things.  I felt something in my shoes early in the run, and didn't stop to do anything about it.  About 4 miles in, it got under my heal.  So, like an idiot, I tried to shake the pebble into a more comfortable spot while still running.  I felt it in the top of my foot, and front of the ankle.  The ankle is fine this morning.  The top of my foot just feels like my shoe is laced too tight, but it's not.  I think it's going to be fine, but of course it makes me nervous.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Jimmy, morning..Good work with starting to influence your family with the positive attitude.. Go rock that race!

Damaris, glad you are feeling better..

Kristin, Enjoy the race with dad.. That's gonna be special..

Jerry, Enjoy the RD and glad the hip is better..

Awood, Hope the pain on the foot was nothing that the RD can't fix..

Still no running with the haze at hazardous level.. Maybe not even a good idea to run indoor as I can smell the burning in the air even in office.. Will see if it drop to "unhealthy" level..

BTW, Bali RR is up..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Happy Friday!

Jimmy -- that's great that you are inspiring family members to start running.  I bet they see your transformation and think "I want some of whatever he's taking!"  Maybe racing will become a family activity?

DR -- I vote for another rest day for you.  Give your body a chance to recover (and join in the celebration for the Heat).

Kristin -- good luck to you and your dad.  You should be proud of him.

Jerry -- enjoy the day.  Did you develop any ideas as to why your hip is sore?

I did a nice slow and easy 5 miles last night and my hammies feel better today.  It's an SRD but I'll make sure I do some stretching.  I'm also going to get a foam roller to help work out the kinks regularly.

Tomorrow DH and I will be helping the volunteer fire dept. at our mountain house (we are "social members", which means we don't fight fires we just help at their fundraisers).  The FD got the contract to serve beer at a "Dirty Girl" run being held in the area.  I checked the website -- it looks like a much shorter / much easier version of a Tough Mudder.  My plan is to get up early and get my LR done before we have to be at the event site.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awood you're right that is 4 in a row! And I have a 10K July 4th. That is the only one of the 4 races though that will be an all-out effort. Sunday I will be running my dad's pace, which should be about 30-40 seconds per mile slower than my 5K PR pace

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Hallo, Penguins!  I am so glad it's Friday, I can't even tell you.  And it's such a pretty day, though I think instead of sneaking out early maybe I'll go for a swim.  It's been a while since I've been in the pool, and I'm feeling guilty for paying for a gym membership that I so rarely use.  

jblack -- I don't think I've covered 63 miles this YEAR!  In fact, I don't think I've hit 30 yet.  Man, that's just sad!  Luckily I'm a singer who doesn't run ...

Docket -- glad you're feeling better!  That must've been some nasty virus.

kristin -- good luck to you and your dad on the 5k!!

jerryb -- glad your hip is feeling better!!

awood -- if only we had takesies-backsies!!

Bin -- sorry you don't have fresh air!!

Phillie -- enjoy the volunteering!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Yea, I would love to see the whole family get involved. Mom says once she heals up from her surgery she is going to start running but I have heard that more than once.. here is to hoping this time she means it. I would love, love, love to see my Dad get out there and start running as well. He had lost a ton of weight from his bout with cancer and said that he was going to make sure he kept it off... he has already put over half of it back on Sad. I hate seeing my parents overweight and unhealthy, but I've been there too and they have been there a lot longer than I was so I can understand how hard it is to get out of that rut.

Anyways... hope everyone is having a great Friday, my work day is half way over already Smile

Awood - Sorry about the foot, we all do hard headed crap like that Wink

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - congrats on getting the ladies involved in running.  Nothing you can do about your parents, except perhaps encourage them to walk more.  After that, it's up to them.

Damaris - I'm glad you're feeling better, even if you're not quite up to par.

Kristin - have fun at the race with your dad tomorrow.

HopesMom - a swim sounds really good.  The heat is back here.

Bin - I saw some pictures of the smoke/smog on the MSN page yesterday.  You're smart to take a break right now, especially since you run in a facility that's open to the sky.  It might be worth the half hour drive though to get to an indoor gym.

Jerry - I 'm glad the hip feels better.  Do some good stretches while you're at the gym.

Awood - I've done the same thing while hiking.  You think "I'll take care of it when I find a good place to stop" but that good place never seems to come, or if it does, it's too late and there's already a hole or blister.

Margo - are you going to run the Dirty Girl?  Have fun with the firemen.

AFM:  short run later since we have company coming this weekend and I probably won't get a chance to run.  I don't usually do six days in a row, but then last Sunday's barely counts (my 2 mile trail run in the rain).

Philliefan33

Margo - are you going to run the Dirty Girl?  Have fun with the firemen.

Nope, just serve them beverages.

Bin Running

Ginny, not sure if running indoor is safe too as the smog is everywhere. Going to give it a try tmr for maybe 30-45 mins and see how it goes.

Margo, dirty girl race with fireman? Sound like fun even as a volunteer.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar