Beginners and Beyond

NRR: Banished Words For 2013 Released (Read 392 times)

Docket_Rocket

Me too.

Ugh, I say this all the time.  Sorry. Undecided

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Was the dreaded "my bad" ever on the list?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LRB

Me too.

Me three.  What are we ever to do?  Just askin?  Wink

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

"Kick the can down the road"?  Am I living under a rock?  I've never heard that phrase before in my life.

"kick the can down the road" is what the US government has been doing since Woodrow Wilson! Overused phrase for an overused economic philosophy!

Anyway, I digress (which probably should be on the list as well).

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

• +1

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

TxDiverMom

I hate Job Creators, etc and also the alternative Millionaires & Billionaires.  I hate those as much as I hated the symbolic Main Street/Wall Street sayings.  Fiscal cliff is pretty bad too.  IMHO, it's a made up phrase by the media so they can talk about it and make it sound even more dramatic than it is.  In fact, pretty much anything that the media uses over and over just drives me nuts.  I can live with YOLO, just sayin', epic, etc.  It's the media ones that drive me nuts.  I really don't care if anything is Trending.

I'd add this one to the list:  The fact of the matter is.....  To me, when people say that you can tell that a line of bullshit will follow.  It's almost like they are saying, "I know better, so listen to me," and it drives me nuts.  Just say the fact is or just say what you want to say rather than adding that unnecessary phrase.

sugnim

Is is.  As in, "What the problem is is that people don't start their sentences well."  To fix it, just say, "The problem is, etc."  Is is drives me crazy.

Also, these aren't words, but I could do with out the over-use of punctuation!!!!  What's the purpose of it anyway???  Well, we'll see what happens in the new year........................

Luke79

I hate Job Creators, etc and also the alternative Millionaires & Billionaires.  I hate those as much as I hated the symbolic Main Street/Wall Street sayings.  Fiscal cliff is pretty bad too.  IMHO, it's a made up phrase by the media so they can talk about it and make it sound even more dramatic than it is.  In fact, pretty much anything that the media uses over and over just drives me nuts.  I can live with YOLO, just sayin', epic, etc.  It's the media ones that drive me nuts.  I really don't care if anything is Trending.

I'd add this one to the list:  The fact of the matter is.....  To me, when people say that you can tell that a line of bullshit will follow.  It's almost like they are saying, "I know better, so listen to me," and it drives me nuts.  Just say the fact is or just say what you want to say rather than adding that unnecessary phrase.

I also dislike when people say "to be honest" or "in all honesty" and things like that.  Are they implying that sometimes they aren't honest?  I just assume someone is at least a part time liar when they use those disclaimers.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

"Kick the can down the road"?  Am I living under a rock?  I've never heard that phrase before in my life.

I think it's okay to kick the can, but don't kick the bucket.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sugnim

I thought of something else.  These aren't really words, but they're word-related.

There are trends with the naming of books that always bug me.  Lately, it has been female relatives.  The Wife of the ______.  The Girl Who Was ______.  The Something-or-other's Daughter.

A few years ago, the trend was boats & bees.

Also, the color below with a drawing of a  bird on it.

Zelanie

We all say it all the time.  Maybe it's time to come up with something else.  Just sayin.

Ultra Cowboy

YOLO - it is a way of Life.....;-D

WYBMADIITY

Save

aponi

never runs the tangents

reach out

on your plate

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Don't call me Buttercup!

I told my husband a week ago that if he uttered the words "Fiscal Cliff" one more time, I was going to punch him.  SO SICK of that one.

Other than that, say what you want. It's a free (but heavily taxed) country. =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

@runjerseygirl

No offense...

With all due respect...

If you say these to me, I'm already thinking "fuck you" before you finish your sentence.

Do you even run?