Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins , carpe diem - seize the day! (Read 218 times)

tracilynn

I am a chemistry minor and also took P chem.  It  was my last chemistry and I think I just squeaked through it with a C-  haha. I loved Organic Chemistry and also loved Quantitative Chemistry.  

Robert! that reminds me, I saw on this thread or maybe the job thread that you are a waste water operator.  My last job was working for an Environmental testing lab.  Waste water people were my favorite clients.  I know all about BODs, CODs, Fecal coliforms, Nitrates, nitrites, sludge fields, toxicity fish kills, etc. LOVED IT and waste water people are THEE ABSOLUTE BEST, laid back coolest  people ever.  Me and you would get along Cool

I posted late last night too but i ran a 5k last night and have a new PR of 31:39. I also had a 9:38 mile fastest mile I have ever ran and really didnt think I would ever in my life run a 9mm.  It was at night through Christmas lights with christmas music playing.  Very festive.  My 14 yr old also ran it with me in a 31:46 but she hates running.  Ha.  Im inching closer to a sub 30.  i will get it ONE DAY.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Bleh, HATED chemistry.  I think because my mom was a chemist.  Oddly, I also hated anesthesia and my brother is an anesthesiologist.   I guess I like being unique.  Wink  You guys who excel in those fields are very impressive to me!

Yesterday was a SRD.  I was literally working from Saturday am until I got home Monday at 7pm.  Holy hell, I was wrecked.  Exhausted and stressed and barely putting one foot in front of the other.  So yesterday was an SRD.

Today is my day off from being on call for the weekend and I had planned 10 today on the roads.  It's HOT out, like upper 50s.  This was part of my downfall today.

The second part of my downfall today was that I just got a pair of superfancy running tights from C2x - the compression tights.  They were a gift for the holidays and I asked for them because I can't justify paying lots of money for tights but, hey, if someone else wants too.... lol!

I put them on and a long sleeve tech shirt.  I have no idea what I was thinking, I was in denial that it was a million degrees out.  The tights are horrible.  I now haz the white hot hate for compression tights.  They look cool but that's it.  The bands kept shifting and trying to pop my patella out of place, the place where it presses on your ITB was completely uncomfortable and I was overheating like a mofo. 

Two miles down the road, I was sweating like it's my job and was so miserable and achey that I aborted.  Turned around and came home 2 miles and was never so happy to walk.  I was hot and exhausted and uncomfortable and sad that I hate my gift tights.  Sounds like a recipe for a lovely run, yes?   I got home, showered and now I'm going to take a nap and try to catch up.  I'll go back out tonight for more miles before the sun goes down. 

I promise to be much more cheerful when I wake up .  Smile

Have a great day everyone!

Liz

Singer who runs a smidge

Overdressing for a run is the WORST!!  It just makes everything miserable.  It was in the 60's when DH and I went out yesterday, I had capris and a short sleeve shirt and was quite comfy, but I've done the overdressing thing before too.  Hopefully you will like your tights more when it's 30 degrees outside!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tomas, I sent a PM (email) to you via this forum.   Hey, good luck to your team, maybe you will end up State champs, how cool would that be for your faculty,  students and parents?

Scotty - we have been pretty good in football for some time here in lil ol Refugio. This is my 3rd year in town, and I have been lucky enough to be part of the ride. Our head coach has been here for 6 years. I think his record including this season is 79-4. When we won state last year we got to play at the cowboys stadium and even got to have one of our freshman students sing the national anthem before the game which was aired nationally. It was pretty special and we look like we may be able to repeat.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

SheCan

Ugh @ overheating because of too many clothes.  My strategy is layers and staying by the house if it's too cool at the beginning of a run.  I do a mile and 1/2 loop or 2 to see how i'm doing.  If I'm too warm at that point, I take my jacket & ear mufffs, and  I throw them in my mailbox and go on from there. 

Today I didn't run.  Yesterday when I got home I looked at my pinky toe which had been annoying me the whole run, and realized it'd turned to a huge blister--- which I'd probably got from wearing a bandaid on the middle & 4th toe due to other injuries.  I popped the blister yesterday, but it was back this morning.  Popped it again, and put on a bandaid.  Seems like every toe problem causes a domino effect on the other toes.  I just hope they're all feeling better by this weekend.

Take care all!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

I hate chemistry. Super busy at work today. Traci, congrats on the PR, I have other friends that did the same run and said they hated it and will never do it again. They complained about the hills and gravel. I hope to do 6-7 tonight when I get off.
              Philliefan33

Has anyone heard from Tori (in Pittsburgh) since we migrated?  She was infrequently posting because of being busy with work and school, but I haven't seen her check in at all.  I hope we didn't leave her on an ice floe somewhere.

Has anyone heard from Tori (in Pittsburgh) since we migrated?  She was infrequently posting because of being busy with work and school, but I haven't seen her check in at all.  I hope we didn't leave her on an ice floe somewhere.

I see her on facebook some. i think school is still crazy. someone else may have better info.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I loved chemistry.  I really loved organic chemistry.  I tutored the premed students in college, even though my degree is in business administration.  I just really enjoyed it.

As for being overdressed, I never enjoyed that.

Dave - Thanks for the insight on daily running.  At least my streak is still alive, and I'm feeling pretty darn good today.  Maybe I did need a cutback day.  I'll hit the roads tonight, and see how I feel.

Shooting for 6 miles tonight, and about 2,000 more Christmas lights.  Now that the dangerous stuff is done, I don't mind working at night.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Robert31320

Team TJ

I am a chemistry minor and also took P chem.  It  was my last chemistry and I think I just squeaked through it with a C-  haha. I loved Organic Chemistry and also loved Quantitative Chemistry.  

Robert! that reminds me, I saw on this thread or maybe the job thread that you are a waste water operator.  My last job was working for an Environmental testing lab.  Waste water people were my favorite clients.  I know all about BODs, CODs, Fecal coliforms, Nitrates, nitrites, sludge fields, toxicity fish kills, etc. LOVED IT and waste water people are THEE ABSOLUTE BEST, laid back coolest  people ever.  Me and you would get along Cool

I posted late last night too but i ran a 5k last night and have a new PR of 31:39. I also had a 9:38 mile fastest mile I have ever ran and really didnt think I would ever in my life run a 9mm.  It was at night through Christmas lights with christmas music playing.  Very festive.  My 14 yr old also ran it with me in a 31:46 but she hates running.  Ha.  Im inching closer to a sub 30.  i will get it ONE DAY.  

Guilty as charged!  I do water & wastewater now days.  I do miss the operator days, a lot less stress for me then.  I think you have to be slightly demented to enjoy wastewater....Cool

Running for TJ because he can't.

Philliefan33

Question --- (I think I know the answer but just want to confirm)

The benefits of a long, slow run are not negated by a quick (< 5 min) break, are they?  I'm planning a route for my 8 - 9 mile LR this Saturday, and one option is an out-n-back that has me turning around very close to my gym.  If I elect this route, I won't bother carrying water since I'll have the option of popping into the gym to get a drink and use the bathroom if needed.  As long as I don't dawdle, that should be okay, right?

Wandering Wally

Good afternoon Penguins!  Hope this day finds you well.

Inspired by Suzie's memory I went out and ran 5.5 miles last night.  Plan for tonight is about 6-7 miles.

Phillliefan33 - No, a little break won't hurt anything.  Have fun!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

Question --- (I think I know the answer but just want to confirm)

The benefits of a long, slow run are not negated by a quick (< 5 min) break, are they?  I'm planning a route for my 8 - 9 mile LR this Saturday, and one option is an out-n-back that has me turning around very close to my gym.  If I elect this route, I won't bother carrying water since I'll have the option of popping into the gym to get a drink and use the bathroom if needed.  As long as I don't dawdle, that should be okay, right?

I've done this a number of times, and have not noticed any negative affect on my fitness.  I was still able to complete my marathons, and half marathons without stopping even though many of my long runs were interrupted by bathroom breaks.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

Traci, congrats!!!

Awood, no problem, hope you have a great run later.

PF, I don't see a problem, quick in and out should be fine. 

I'll try to come back later and get everyone else. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Brady -- I like that philosophy:  I deserve this, since I had to take P-Chem!  I might make that my new philosopy for life.  "Honey, we need to go out for dinner tonight.  I don't feel like cooking, and since I had to take P-Chem in 1985 I deserve a night out."

P-Chem was my oldest daughter's favorite chemistry course -- that's just plain wrong.  She was a chem major / math minor, so I guess she liked the math involved.  She's now in graduate school and having to learn more biochemistry because she's working with protiens.

I took P-Chem in the Air Force.  I had to P in a cup and then they did a Chem test to make sure I wasn't on drugs.  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt