Beginners and Beyond

Onemile finally runs a sub-20 Race Report (Read 41 times)

onemile

So last year I made it my spring goal to run a sub-20 5k.  I had run a 1:32 half marathon, which McMillan said was equivalent but it has been years since I could run my 5k equivalent to my longer race performances.  So, I did a lot of intervals, ran a lot of 5ks and got a lot frustrated. I ended up with a PR of 20:08 and then my times started to slow and my Achilles acted up so I took a break from it.

This year, instead of running a ton of 5ks, I decided to just do two that were accurate courses, flat and fast and put on by the local running clubs.  I convinced myself in the last two weeks that I am really in shape to run a 6:15 pace  and this one happens to be for my favorite cause, to benefit the police K9s.

After checking the weather, I was debating skipping the race because the forecast was for 17mph steady winds with gusts to 30mph.  But each day it got slightly better, so that by the time it was race day, the gusts were gone and it was showing 14mph steady winds.

Got to the race about an hour before and paid my $15 entrance fee (did I mention I like this race?) and I pet k9 Brux who reminded me a lot of my own k9

Ran a 2 mile warm up and my legs felt decent but the wind felt fairly strong.  35 degrees. I wore shorts and a long sleeve shirt. I think only one other guy had shorts on.

No chip timing so I started right on the line

I felt pretty good in the first 3/4 mile, not great, it felt fast but not too fast - was around a 6:18 pace, then the course turned into the wind. It felt noticeably harder. I passed a guy around here and now I had four guys in front of me (I had passed the only other woman in front of me about a quarter mile in).  Mile 1 split: 6:22

The second mile was mostly into the wind which was coming from the northwest - I started catching up to the guy in 4th place and hoped to draft off of him a little but he was slowing down. I was breathing so hard that he asked if I was ok. I didn't answer, instead I passed him. He said ‘Good Job’. I couldn’t talk.  From this point on, I was kind of alone. The course was very well marked and there were police at the intersections but no other runners were in sight until the end.  I had developed a side stitch and trying to get my breathing under control. I slowed down but I was working harder. 6:32 split for that mile.

I had started thinking I wasn't going to make the sub-20 but I was trying not to think that way and instead was trying to think about relaxing and running fast. In mile 3, after the first bit, the course turned out of the wind again but I was breathing so hard at that point and I'm trying to get it together -with the wind at my back though I am getting back to a 6:30 pace. I was thinking at this point maybe I could still do it when I saw my watch was showing 6:25 pace.

Then the course turns back toward the finish (about a half mile to go) and it was into the wind again. I was running as hard as I could and felt so sick to my stomach. It seemed so far away. I could see the guy in front of me way ahead near the finish line. I didn’t look at my watch for mile split 3, which ended up being 6:19.  And then 6:05 for the last .13.  I hear the announcer say just under 20 as I run past.

Since this race was not chip timed (it is timed, but old school where they collect bib tabs as you cross), there was no official mat – so I kept running to the end of the cones and then it took me a few seconds to remember to stop my watch. So my watch read 20:03. I thought I had made it under 20 but had to wait for my official time. Which ended up taking a long time but finally it was posted – 19:56!  Which was a 12 second PR in harder conditions.

See, old school:

4th OA, 1st Woman and a german shepherd trophy!

I was more excited about this than running a 3:15 marathon, which I’m sure most people wouldn’t understand.  My coach sent me an email with the subject line of ‘Hell Yes!’ lol she knows this was long overdue.

Docket_Rocket

5Ks are hard, first of all.

A 12 second PR in a 5K is fucking huge.

"I was breathing so hard that he asked if I was ok. I didn't answer, instead I passed him."  Best line.  Chick'd a fast guy.

Congratulations!  You ran an awesome race and I'm so happy to see you did it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I was exhausted reading this. So awesome. We all knew it would come, just a matter of when; I suppose you were beginning to wonder.

So, you're welcome, for talking you into running this one. I honestly thought you were blowing it off, and was surprised when you posted the result. You seemed to be leaning strongly against it, and no one (else) on the forum was trying too hard to talk you into it. When did you make the decision?

Anything specific that you think made it happen this time? Yes you have been training your ass off, but you've done that before. Can't imagine what your time would've been without the wind. How far back was the 2nd woman?

Dave

Cyberic

Ouch. You just reminded me how hard 5Ks are. 

You did it! Not in ideal conditions, either. And you're right about me not really understanding how that beats a 3:15 marathon. But as long as YOU understand 

You remember to surf on that good feeling for a while, now.

LRB

I was breathing so hard that he asked if I was ok. I didn't answer, instead I passed him.

This was awesome. lol

LRB

I was more excited about this than running a 3:15 marathon, which I’m sure most people wouldn’t understand.

Actually, yes, I do. Of my greatest running achievements, nothing I have done at the marathon distance compares to them.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the sub 20. This sounded very painful.

Brux is a very handsome K9.

onemile

I was exhausted reading this. So awesome. We all knew it would come, just a matter of when; I suppose you were beginning to wonder.

So, you're welcome, for talking you into running this one. I honestly thought you were blowing it off, and was surprised when you posted the result. You seemed to be leaning strongly against it, and no one (else) on the forum was trying too hard to talk you into it. When did you make the decision?

Anything specific that you think made it happen this time? Yes you have been training your ass off, but you've done that before. Can't imagine what your time would've been without the wind. How far back was the 2nd woman?

I decided on Friday. Then the forecast was showing 14mph steady with 25mph gusts. I was going to punish myself with a really hard workout on Friday if I didn't run it so the race sounded more appealing 

As to what made it happen this time... starting last fall, my legs have felt stronger on the faster than 5k paced intervals and it has not been such a struggle to get up to speed. I first noticed this on some of my interval sessions during the early part of marathon training for CIM.  I think it was kind of a delayed effect of my training from last spring that I didn't get to use at the time? If that makes any sense. Also, I think overall, I gained some fitness training for CIM. Anyway, my intervals this winter/spring have been slightly faster than last year.

The 2nd place woman ran a 22:35. One dude came up to me after and said 'you had no competition!' and that was pretty much true

onemile

And you're right about me not really understanding how that beats a 3:15 marathon. But as long as YOU understand 

Because it was a lot harder for ME. I understand that's not the case for most people!

onemile

Brux is a very handsome K9.

He was gorgeous! And I was somewhat surprised at how ill behaved he was. This race attracts a lot of dogs (apparently dog lovers like events that support dogs) so there were quite a few runners and walkers who brought their dogs and Brux was very reactive toward other dogs - high pitched barking and crying (wanting to get by them?)  I was like... I thought k9s would be better behaved than my own dogs lol

delicate flower

Awesome stuff!  Congrats on breaking that 20 minute barrier.  I know that's been a goal of yours.  14 mph winds are not fair.

The guy that asked if you were ok and said "good job"...he needs to run harder.  At mile 2.5 of a 5K, all I can do is grunt, groan, and grimace, and I certainly wouldn't care about the well being of a person passing me.  Big grin

<3

As to what made it happen this time... starting last fall, my legs have felt stronger on the faster than 5k paced intervals and it has not been such a struggle to get up to speed. I first noticed this on some of my interval sessions during the early part of marathon training for CIM.  I think it was kind of a delayed effect of my training from last spring that I didn't get to use at the time? If that makes any sense. Also, I think overall, I gained some fitness training for CIM. Anyway, my intervals this winter/spring have been slightly faster than last year.

The 2nd place woman ran a 22:35. One dude came up to me after and said 'you had no competition!' and that was pretty much true

I obviously don't know jack about 5k training. I know roughly jack+1% about marathon training. And really all I've learned is that improvements come from not just one thing, but from accumulated miles and training cycles over time. So I'm guessing 5k's work the same way, and that's what you're seeing. And of course shit just has to come together in just the right way on race day.

Dave

onemile

The guy that asked if you were ok and said "good job"...he needs to run harder.  At mile 2.5 of a 5K, all I can do is grunt, groan, and grimace, and I certainly wouldn't care about the well being of a person passing me.  Big grin

It's not unusual to get 'good jobbed' upon passing someone in a race and I always think the same.. they need to run harder and shut up

It's not unusual to get 'good jobbed' upon passing someone in a race and I always think the same.. they need to run harder and shut up

They're just mansplaining.

Dave

onemile

They're just mansplaining.

I do wonder if they would good job a man who passed them