Beginners and Beyond

Thankful it's Thursday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." Wink It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

I have PT again today. Again, I never know what they are going to do at group PT until I get there.

We PT as a group every Monday afternoon, Wednesday morning, Thursday afternoon and every other Friday.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Rach and other Penguins soon to follow!

Yesterday got my run in as well as abs and legs at the gym. My legs feel kind of fried this morning - I thinks it's because I've been walking up and down 4 flights of stairs at work for the past two days.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Rach - have fun at PT

Gustav - sounds like a good day for rest?

AFM - kids are home on another snow day.  I'm about to head out to the door for work.  That pretty much sums it up.  LOL  RD for me.  Have a great day!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Rach, Gustav, Vance and all Penguins.  TM today for some repeats/hills.

Have a great day !!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles tonight.  I am glad I am working from home because I have a headache, I had some issues at work not caused by me, and I am not in the mood to deal with certain people's BS.  So, the laptop better work properly or I'll flip.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

My legs finally feel back to normal -- turns out I really trashed them on Sunday's run.  I ran one of my hilly routes, the one I call the "Big Bertha" route.  (Big Bertha is a 165 ft climb in 0.6 miles.)  I've done Big Bertha many times, but this time what really taxed my legs was that the road was hard-packed snow with loose snow on top and it was almost like running in sand.  I didn't feel bad on Sunday, but Monday my calves and hammies were very tight and sore.  I've been stretching / rolling all week and my runs haven't been pretty, but I think things finally loosened up towards the end of yesterday's run.

~5 miles planned for tonight.

Zelanie

Morning!  10x100s went well last night.  The real trainer peeps who were there said I ran them too fast, and my recoveries WAY too fast, and they're right.  OTOH, I am still happy that my entire run was faster than my goal HMP.  Although I shouldn't do that again I suppose.  She gave me some tips about form, too.

Headed out to the gym with DD in a few.  Check back later!

From the Internet.

Hi penguins Smile SRD for me, I need it after cramming all my workouts in yesterday - at the dealer right now for an oil change, lab meeting after that, bringing my too-small (edit: too BIG! Still not used to saying that, haha) jeans to the consignment store later, seminar at 4. Legs feel stiff and tired, spending some time stretching at some point. Trying 2.5 miles tomorrow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gee, Rach, that sounds like a lot of PT, so you don't get to do anything on your own?

Congrats on getting your run in and your abs and legs, Gustav.  Why are you walking up and down flights of stairs at work?  Are you the office stairs inspector? Wink

Enjoy the rest day, Vance!   Do the kids have to make up all these snow days? They're going to be in school until July!

Good luck with the hill repeats, Jerry!  No running outside anymore?  Is it too cold in Chicago now?

Sorry about the headache, Damaris?  What's his/her name?  Joking   Good luck with the 5 miles tonite.

Sounds like you had  a case of DOMS, Margo.  Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.  Good luck with your 5 tonite, hope your legs behave!

Congrats on your run, Zelanie.  Personally, I think your form is great! Big grin

Flippin' cold this morning in San Antonio - 33 degrees!  Won't last long though.  Lots of sunshine today and we will be going up to 68 degrees.  Plan on running after work somewhere for about 4 miles.   Haven't decided yet which of my many available running locations I want to do.  Maybe the Riverwalk.  Maybe the San Antonio Zoo area.  Maybe around the campus...with nice weather all the Great Legs come out, including the university women's running team, I encountered a few of them on my run on Tuesday.  Can't keep up with them at all, lol, they are very speedy, but I had a few seconds of "chase."  Smile

Sounds like you need a rest day, Kristin!  Enjoy.

Sounds like a very busy day for you, Lauren.  Hope everything goes smoothly.

Sorry about the crazy days, Dave. Enjoy the shoe testing!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Last couple of days have been URDs for me, been a lil crazy.

Looking forward to this evening tho, Saucony test run at my LRS, gonna get to try out the new zero drop Virrata. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD for me. Got home really late from the Nets game, and I'm still sore from the crazy spin class yesterday! May do some hip exercises, and of course foam rolling, after work.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Rachel- What kind of work do you do that you have group PT sessions?

Gustav- Sounds like you're getting a workout in at work too!

Jerry- Good luck on the hill repeats!  I still haven't tried them.  Maybe next week?

D- Hope your day has improved so far.

Margo- Glad the legs are feeling better.  Big Bertha sounds like quite the hill!

Lauren- Yay for too-big jeans!  Hope you buy some fabulous new ones!

Scotty- Hope you have a great run, whatever route you choose!

D2- Enjoy the shoe test!  Sounds fun. Smile

kristin- Enjoy the easy day today!

Bin Running

Rach, Thanks for starting.. That's look like a lot of PT for a photographer.. Do you carry your gearing and run? Tongue

Gustav, Looks like your road to recovery is gong well..

Vance, Enjoy the snowy rest day..

Jerry, Good morning..

Damaris, Enjoy the 5M and hope your headache goes away.. Together with other BS.. Smile

Margo, Enjoy the 5M... and hurray for your legs feeling better..

Mel, Looks like you are getting some good guidance.. as I said, I fear the 10 x 100 strides

Lauren, loosing jean size is good news..

Scotty, 1 vote for campus run..

Dave, sorry abt the URD.. Just noticed your 10K PR today.. Holy smoke!

Kristin, Enjoy the RD.. Did your team win?

AFM, 11.5M MLR done. 1st time I did a LR in midweek.. Hope the legs will hold.. Month PR of 168 but I was shooting for 175 but had to miss a few runs.. Friday for me today.. Smile Will be doing some spring cleaning in preparation of coming Lunar new year..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good morning, Pens.  I did six last night and am getting back in the swing of it after another little setback. I think my "problem" is that I push it a bit too much when I am feeling good and I tend to overdo it. I plan on six tonight, a long run this weekend, and HM training starts on Monday. Let's hope for an injury free few months.

Bin: Great job on the miles. I am looking forward to your HM.