Beginners and Beyond

Thankful it's Thursday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus tonight!  We have a big performance coming up Feb 9th, so we'll be running repertoire like it's going out of style!

Rach -- have fun with PT!!

Gustav -- hope your fried legs feel better!!

N-Bug -- don't you just envy the kids sometimes?

Jerryb -- good luck on the TM!!

Docket -- hope everything around you runs smoothly!!

Phillie -- glad your legs are getting back to normal!!

Zelanie -- nice to have experts to weigh in!!

Lauren -- sounds like a busy RD!!

Scotty -- enjoy your run, wherever!!

D2 -- hope your life settles down a little!!

kristin -- hope you had fun at the game!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your MLR!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oops, missed Jack.  Glad you're back in the swing of things!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

If I do PT alone, it is on my own time. Most of the time I am sore enough after group PT, I don't do anything on my own.

Examples of things we do at group PT are ultimate Frisbee and workouts like the other day:

20 Pushups
        Run 140 yards while holding a 6 lbs medicine ball over my head
        20 Situps
        20 Squats
        20 Pullups
        10 Burpee
        **Repeat the entire workout 3 times**

When we PT we do not carry packs or anything like that. If we do it will be medicine balls.  Our goal is to keep fit so when we are deployed, we will be ready for anything. Granted I am not combat camera, but we still deploy to Afghanistan and Iraq.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

For those who asked, the Nets lost to the Heat Sad booo. But we had a great time anyway!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Rach, I see.. Hope you do not think that I am not giving credit for what you are doing becos you are a combat photographer.. I don't meant it that way.. I apologize if you are offended in any way.. In fact, I think you did a great sacrifice for serving the nation..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Jack, hope you have a successful HM training... Just signed up for a May 31 HM as the discounted fee offer ends today.. Tongue

Hope'smom, wish you all the success in your upcoming performance..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Hi, taking my lunch time now.  Been drafting a complaint all morning.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I've been drafting a complaint all morning too.  Now I'm just looking for somebody to use it on ...

Jen16226

Good afternoon all.

Quick check in.....trying to finish getting 1099's out.  Nothing like waiting until THE last day to do it, but with year end and financials, I didn't have much choice.  OY!

My runs have still been going through the hecticness, althought I swapped today's SRD with yesterday's 3 miles because I was just exhausted.

I hope every is well and hopefully my insanity will end this week!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

GinnyinPA

Cold and extremely windy outside; even bundled up, I was freezing.  We did a longer walk, but I think even Ben (our snow and cold loving dog) was glad to come inside.  SRD for me, though I may go downstairs and put on an exercise tape later. I always miss running on my non-running days, but I'm still trying to keep from doing TMTS, so yoga or pilates would be a wise alternative.

Bin - those early entry fees do make it tempting to sign up for races.  Will you be able to do more running outside soon, or will you continue your indoor track?

Gustav - stairs are always good.  When training for the AT, I would go up and down the 7 stories of our office building.  By the end of 1/2 hour, I was always dripping - but it sure helped when I was out in the mountains.

Zelanie - nice to get some impromptu coaching.  Next time you'll know.  Going slow really is harder than it seems though.

Scotty - nice you have so many alternatives.  I live outside of a small town, and there aren't that many good options, even in town.  Where I live has no sidewalks and few bike lanes.  Nearest railtrails are 45 minutes away.

Jack - good luck with your HM plan. I've enjoyed being able to just run as I feel like it, but kind of miss the structure of a real plan. But then, I wasn't that good at following my plans when I had them.  I always ended up adding a mile here and a mile there.

Hopesmom - just consider the singing helps your lungs for running, and the running helps your lungs for singing.  Too bad you can't sing while you run - or do you?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just sat down and made a racing and training schedule for the entire spring racing season going Feb 10 to my 10 miler in June that includes 2 5Ks, a 10K and a 5 mile race.   Now.....I just need to be able to be in shape to begin a training schedule Feb 10th pain free. Hoping I'm not being too ambitious. I'm just so sick of not running so I decided that looking up races and making training plans would make me feel better.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

hog4life

Hey everyone! I'll try to catch some personals later. Awesome run thi morning of 7.71 miles with 35 minutes at what was supposed to be 8:35-8:40 range but ended up running the 35 minutes at 8:10 pace. This also gives me a monthly PB of 160.37, woohoo!

Jack, I'll reply to your PM here shortly, gotta check my notes.

SheCan

Hey Penguins!

Thanks for starting our thread today, Rach^.  Your PT sounds tough enough without doing extra anyway.

Gustav-  I'm weird, I guess.  I'm jealous that you have stairs you have to walk up and down--- makes the best workouts.

Jerry good luck on your hill repeats!

Philliefan-  Glad your legs are back to normal.  I've trashed my legs on hilly runs before, and I always end up mad at myself afterwards.

Zelanie-- that's so cool that you get input from real trainers about your training.   Hopefully you'll see some really good results when you put their suggestions into action.

Lauren- yippee@ your pants being too big!  Good for you!

Scotty- I hope it does warm up for you.  33 is too cold for everyone to be showing off their legs.

Bin- Congratulations on the monthly PR!  You're really getting your mileage up there.  Enjoy your Friday!

Jack- Hopefully if you follow a HM plan it'll keep you from over doing it on days you should take it easier.

HopesMom- Have fun at chorus practice tonight!

Jen, sounds like you've been really busy.  Hopefully next week will be better, and your run schedule back to normal.

I was trying to run 9 today.  I wasn't thinking and threw some hot tamales in my mouth before I ran, and ended up with what was probably a blood sugar spike or something.  After about 15 minutes, couldn't see right, and felt disoriented, and basically terrible.  Ran the full loop, came home after 5 miles.  Got some real food in me, took some Aleve and waited until I felt better.  I went ahead & did 4 more uneventful miles.  I've done that before, and I know better then to have pure sugar right before a run, but sometimes my sweet tooth takes over my brain.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Repeats/intervals on the TM for 45 min excluding warm up and cool down. 1% and 3% inclines for  3 min running and 2 min walking.  Hour before I got there the locker room was robbed.   6 members lost money and credit cards.  Better start using the safe boxesby the front desk.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no!!! That sucks!

Repeats/intervals on the TM for 45 min excluding warm up and cool down. 1% and 3% inclines for  3 min running and 2 min walking.  Hour before I got there the locker room was robbed.   6 members lost money and credit cards.  Better start using the safe boxesby the front desk.