Beginners and Beyond

RR - Freezer "5K" (Read 62 times)

12/15, downtown Buffalo.  Unlike last year's 50 degrees, this one was true to name.

I'm going to let these videos and pictures do most of the talking for once.  Let's just say that there would have been very few PR's, even if the course had not been shortened due to certain roads being impassable to the police pace vehicle.  My Yak Trax helped immensely when there was even a hint of pavement visible.

I really like some of the photos, they capture the essence of Buffalo winter very well.

(And I am not sure what's up with the myriad Polish coat-of-arms singlets, they've been proliferating lately.  But I came up with a response Wink)

Pics

Video1

Video2

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

18 degrees... That, looks, miserable... I can see how that might be "fun," but... I don't know. Jeesh, that looks cold.

on my way to badass

Nice job in difficult conditions.  I am a fellow snowbelter (originally from Rochester).

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Hip Redux

Is that you in the Deutschland jersey?  

The video looks crazy.  You guys might as well have had on snow shoes!

Pinktastic

Oh my gosh!  That looks miserable and fun all at the same time!   Way to get out there in those conditions!  Congrats, Jay!

Thanks for the pics and the videos - I really enjoyed them!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

happylily

Geesus... you guys in Buffalo are insane! You all look like some crazy Nordic barbarians charging for battle.  Congratulations?  (no, really, congratulations. It takes some guts to do this)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That looks very cold and uncomfortable. Congrats on even getting out there!

That race looks a lot like one I did in Kentucky way back when, just on the other side of the river from Cincinnati, Ohio.  Yep, even though I am a 'warm weather' runner now in Texas, I did my share of cold-weather running in the past. This one was called the Winter Wonderland 7-Miler, and they weren't kidding, except about the Wonderland part.  It was more like "Blunder Land", it began snowing like hell when I got to around the 3 mile mark, and some of the course markers got covered up, and even though there were volunteers on the course, you could hardly see really well in front of you, and about 20 or so of us missed a course turn and then had to turn around and come back, and we ended up with about 8 miles instead of 7, and then when we did finish, we found out the race officials had been listening to the weather report and decided about halfway into the event that conditions were too unsafe to continue, so they sent this big 4-wheel vehicle out to start picking up participants and bring them back to the start/finish area....but because we missed our turn, they missed us...so we ended up doing the whole thing, some of the few of the 100 or so participants that actually did run the whole thing, lol. It was quite the little adventure!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice job.  Nice pics too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

That looks a lot like a 10K we had in our area last February.  The three of us who were in the running for the 50-59 AG award for the series (there had been a 5K in December and an 8K in January) decided it wasn't worth the risk and we'd just jog it together.  One of our good local runners decided to race it and slipped.  He tore his hamstring and was out for something like six months.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

bluerun

Super B****

There's always one in shorts, huh?

Yeah, that doesn't look like my idea of fun!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Ric-G

wow....those are some pics....they do speak for themselves...crazy stuff jay...what did they pass out at the aid stations? hot chocolate

thanks for sharing.

marathon pr - 3:16

Nevrgivup

Those conditions look rough. I would've jogged it too for fear of getting injured. I am paranoid of injury this time of year with snow and ice on the ground. Nice job getting it done and thanks for sharing the pics and videos. It got a decent turnout considering the weather.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Is that you in the Deutschland jersey?  

Ja, ein dummkopf! Tongue

LRB

There's always one in shorts, huh?

You saw me 'eh?  ;-)

Those pics are vivid.  Kudos to bib# 295 for finishing!

That's Edna.  She's in the 75-79 AG and has done 60 races this year.  Smile