Beginners and Beyond

Boston Pengiuns (Read 23 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Happy Boston Monday (and Tax Filing deadline).  Does anyone have the B&B bib numbers for stalking?  My speedy friend is targeting a 2:52, which if he achieves it will be only 2 minutes slower than my half marathon PW :-P

Anyway, I'll do some running today and some errands/house cleaning.  I bought a couple new pairs of shorts and a couple more sports bras because I need to run more often without having to do laundry more often.  Amazon says they should be here tomorrow.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Good luck Boston Runners!

on my way to badass

Good luck Boston runners.  I shall be stalking some of you and watching on the interwebs.  Hopefully I'll get really inspired and have a great run later (I'm in search of some mojo).

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning, guys.  I have been MIA while in Orlando running the Star Wars Challenge.  Ran the 10K on Saturday and had an asthma attack, so any racing that day was easy.  Half Marathon on Sunday with hubby.  Not sure how many miles I have for tonight, but I assume it's 6-8.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

PAD, what's Slymoon bib?  I want to track him and forgot his name.  Waaahhh.  You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

PAD, what's Slymoon bib?  I want to track him and forgot his name.  Waaahhh.  You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

I think "Boston Penguins" is an oxymoron. Big grin  But I love the penguin graphic with the ribbon.

Jill, I hope the new duds inspire you!

8.4 done this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning Penguins!

I think "Boston Penguins" is an oxymoron. Big grin  But I love the penguin graphic with the ribbon.

Jill, I hope the new duds inspire you!

8.4 done this morning.

There are some people who hang out in the igloo who are capable of a BQ marathon :-P

It looks like my friend died out there -- he started off at his desired pace but in the 5k between 15k-20k he averaged a 11:49 pace... after averaging something like a 6:37 pace in the first 15k.  I'd guess (or I'm hoping) it is just tummy issues and not an injury.  His race report should be interesting.

Zelanie

Had time for 5.1 on the Alter G. Nothing hurt. PT thinks Iay have really altered my gait to try to run slowly and worrying about the distance and that's why everything hurt yesterday.

Zelanie

There are some people who hang out in the igloo who are capable of a BQ marathon :-P

It looks like my friend died out there -- he started off at his desired pace but in the 5k between 15k-20k he averaged a 11:49 pace... after averaging something like a 6:37 pace in the first 15k.  I'd guess (or I'm hoping) it is just tummy issues and not an injury.  His race report should be interesting.

Hopefully just a long line at the bathroom.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hopefully just a long line at the bathroom.

Yeah I'm not so sure.  He still hasn't hit the 25k marker.  Maybe he had to DNF, which would be really sad for him.

Docket_Rocket

People tend to forget to adjust for weather.  Those that started at goal pace are in for a rude awakening.  It's hot there.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

People tend to forget to adjust for weather.  Those that started at goal pace are in for a rude awakening.  It's hot there.

Yeah I'm 99% sure he DNFed since he hasn't been on the tracker in a long long time.  My friend ran a 2:56 in Chicago (which was likewise bad this year) and has been training hard since then so a 2:52 maybe didn't seem like too much of an unreasonable goal.  I'm sure I'll hear the whole story in a few days.

My husband didn't adjust for the weather at the Brooklyn Half last year and wound up in the ER, so I know how important it is to adjust for the conditions.