Beginners and Beyond

Is it Humid Tuesdailies? (Read 37 times)

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!  And, yes it is.

I slow-jogged 3 miles.  My legs are still toasted, and I knew after a mile that intervals were an LOL.  My left knee has been a little whiny the last few runs, so a cutback week might be in order.  I have been hammering pretty hard, so it's all good.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

It’s so stinkin humid out there! Yesterday kicked my ass working in it. Easy 7mi this am 8:11avg. I think the extra RD helped my shin. It felt better this am and seems to be improving. So glad I backed out  of this mile race tonight. Can’t imagine racing in this crap.

Is running in the humidity/heat about the same as altitude training? Less oxygen with both? Difference?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Less oxygen in what way?  I find that running in high dewpoint feels like breathing through a straw (sort of like asthma in a way).  I find there is no acclimatization to dewpoint no matter how many years/months/weeks you run in it (your body will never get better at regulating itself in high dewpoints).  Versus altitude, where you acclimate.

This chart is pretty good about explaining it.  The dewpoints will always feel this way no matter how much you run in these numbers:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

HK2 - I can understand why some would prefer repeats to long runs in humid weather.  For me, though, being out there for an hour+, I'd rather be running easy.  With the repeats I'm still moving the whole time and my average pace is faster, so the work is harder.

ROS - Good luck with your track work today.

I got up early and was out the door a little before 5:00, headed for the track.  Temp of 75 was nice, dew point of 72 was not.  I ran 12 x 400m run / 400m jog.  At first I had trouble locking into the run pace, which is between my 5k and 10k paces, running too fast then too slow, etc.  By the end, too fast wasn't a problem.  I was quite soaked and it will probably take me all day to re-hydrate.  At least by getting there early I had the track to myself and could run clockwise for the first six sets without having to worry about other runners.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Less oxygen in what way?  I find that running in high dewpoint feels like breathing through a straw (sort of like asthma in a way).  I find there is no acclimatization to dewpoint no matter how many years/months/weeks you run in it (your body will never get better at regulating itself in high dewpoints).  Versus altitude, where you acclimate.

This chart is pretty good about explaining it.  The dewpoints will always feel this way no matter how much you run in these numbers:

I quite agree that one can only acclimate to a certain level with dew points.  It's simple physics that when there's so much moisture in the air, your ability to cool by perspiring is limited and you wind up with the risk of dehydration and/or overheating.  Yes, someone from a cool dry climate will acclimate, but not to the point of being able to run the same in high humidity as in low.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Is running in the humidity/heat about the same as altitude training? Less oxygen with both? Difference?

IMO - It's similar, but different.  Your heart and blood circulation system works harder in both types of environments.  From what I've read, your body prioritizes keeping the body cooler first, so in hot and humid conditions, the heart works harder to make you sweat more as a priority before moving oxygen to your muscles to keep you going.  At altitude, you are typically not in a humid environment, but it can be hot, but the heart still works harder to get the less available oxygen to your muscles.  From my experience, it's harder to breathe, but it doesn't make you feel as bogged down as in hot and humid conditions at sea level.  In a nutshell, personally I'd rather be at altitude than this muggy mess. .

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

delicate flower

'Morning.  Speaking of humidity, the marathon I am running Saturday will be in PR conditions, but it's too bad I am not in PR shape.  Last night's run though was in some awfulness...95 and humid.  50 and low dew point Saturday will make me feel like I am shot out of a cannon.

I swam 2000 yards before work.  I cut it 500 yards short because I was just not in the mood, and since it was an optional workout, I figured screw it.  Bike workout tonight.

The last day of work before a long vacation is always such a PITA.  Everyone knows I am leaving, so I am getting bombarded with stuff because the WORLD WILL END if I don't get people the items they are asking for.

<3

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all.

I ran a 4ish mile recovery run yesterday. All I can say is HOLY DOMS. I really don't understand the phenomenon at all, but I surely felt it. My little two mile recovery run Sunday felt great...very little soreness at all. On last night's run, my quads and calves were so sore it wasn't even funny.

I'm hoping it will all flush by Sunday - I have a road half marathon called Hill Yeah on Sunday (like 600 something feet of gain, so not huge, but enough to notice), and I'm hoping to be able to give a hard effort.

Pleasant...sounds like a smart choice to take an easy week.

Jay..good to hear your shin is doing better.

Fred...I'm not sure I could get my body to run clockwise on a track...seems so unnatural to think about turning that way haha. Nice job getting through the workout.

Baboon...I wouldn't be surprised if you still and up with a pretty darn good marathon time! And yes, it's terrible when leaving work is just about as bad as being there.

Hope the rest of you all have some great runs today.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Baboon...I wouldn't be surprised if you still and up with a pretty darn good marathon time! And yes, it's terrible when leaving work is just about as bad as being there.

3:25 is the goal just so I can say I BQ'd again.  I'll go out running 7:30's and see how I feel at the halfway point.  14 miles up, then 12 miles down.

<3

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I ran a 4ish mile recovery run yesterday. All I can say is HOLY DOMS. I really don't understand the phenomenon at all, but I surely felt it. My little two mile recovery run Sunday felt great...very little soreness at all. On last night's run, my quads and calves were so sore it wasn't even funny.

There is a little bit of a difference between running 2 miles at 11x pace vs 4 miles at 8x pace.   I'm sure you'll recover fine by the weekend.

Re: Your race and HR.  I had to imagine where the hills were at your avg HR splits, but all in all, I think you did an excellent job at keeping your aerobic system in check for most of the race until you decided to turn it up a notch.  Of course, by then you knew you had it in you.  On paper, a 14 min/mi for 100 seems simple, but the tactic to get there is like a complex puzzle that changes as you try to solve it (this is how I think of it).  My attempt at 85 in 24 hours earlier this year was squashed to bits due to heavy rain and cold and a mud pit of a trail.  I bailed out after 17 hours and 58 miles since I knew I wouldn't make the goal, but I was surprised that I still came in 22nd of 62 OA even bailing 7 hours early.  I may take a shot at 100 in 24 at the end of the month, but the summer heat and humidity will be my kryptonite this time.  Haven't decided yet.

3/17 - NYC Half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good morning all.

I'm hoping it will all flush by Sunday - I have a road half marathon called Hill Yeah on Sunday (like 600 something feet of gain, so not huge, but enough to notice), and I'm hoping to be able to give a hard effort.

Pleasant...sounds like a smart choice to take an easy week.

Jay..good to hear your shin is doing better.

Fred...I'm not sure I could get my body to run clockwise on a track...seems so unnatural to think about turning that way haha.   Nice job getting through the workout.

Hope the rest of you all have some great runs today.

"600 something feet of gain, so not huge" - well, that would be a lot in NJ.  Hills, at least, are something one can acclimate to.  Good luck with the race.

"I'm not sure I could get my body to run clockwise on a track" - that's funny.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

"I'm not sure I could get my body to run clockwise on a track" - that's funny.

Fold your arms.  See which hand is on top.  Then fold your arms again with the opposite hand on top.

Running clockwise on a track takes years of practice. 

3/17 - NYC Half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Running clockwise on a track takes years of practice. 

Either that or no years of practice, meaning if you've rarely run on a track (like me), then one way is not much different than the other.  Perhaps it helps that I'm not particularly dominant with either side.  Some say I'm ambidextrous.  I think it's more of being clumsy with both hands.

Cyberic

I ran. Beautiful temp. Lungs still congested, but far less. Coolish-dryish temp helped, too. Man, I feel good. Before I caught my cold, running had become a f'ing chore. Some time off did a lot for my mojo.

I'll see how I feel after my commute back: it will be warmer, and my second run of the day is always tougher, even in the best of conditions.

But right now, I'm high on running.