Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 42: Big Red and Barbacoa 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  For this event, we had some pretty bright sunshine, and a mix of clouds and shadows so a couple of the photos are kind of dark, with that sun-and-shadow play.  My camera is not 'sophisticated" at all, lol.  However, at  least the photos are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2042%20Big%20Red%20and%20Barbacoa%205K?sort=2

Before My Start

My 42nd race of 2018 was Big Red and Barbacoa 5K on June 10, held at Comance Park in San Antonio. The event benefited the SA Eagles, a nonprofit organization designed to expose our youth to the sport of track & field and running in general. There was a kids race at 8:30 a.m. and then the main event started at 9 a..m., so pretty warm by start time, already near 80 degrees, and pretty humid.  I live pretty close to the park so did not take me long to get there.  Got my race bib and timing chip and then got a few pre-start photos.

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

Two Dons, two very speedy guys. For my friend Don on the right, this was his 48th race of the year.

Our Music Lady

Me, the unofficial photographer, and friend Ralph, with the official photographer

Apparently, the young lady got a kick outta my black-cat socks, lol.

With my longest-known running friend, Bernadette

Lining up for the start

In the start crowd

On The Course

Paved trails in Comanche Park. This park is one of the best parks for running, walking, biking in San Antonio, with lots of route options, lots of shade trees along the way and the park connects with another of the San Antonio 'greenway' parks, so walkers, runners, and bikers can really get in some miles using this park.  Fortunately on this very humid day we were only going 3.1 miles. On my way to the turn-round point I saw the overall winner coming back, really fast.  Found out later he finished in 15:19. Did my usual 8-min run/2 minute walk thing, taking photos during my walk breaks.  After my last walk break, ran the last 1.2 miles nonstop to the finish.  Ended up with 33:57 finish time. This is a popular event with 10 year age groups (30-39, 40- 49, and so forth) and there were some speedy guys in my age group, all finishing quick;  the 3rd place guy finished in 25 minutes. The first 200 finishers did get a finisher medal and I was in that category.

On the way to the turn-round point

Made the turn-round, heading back to the finish

After My Finish

Got some photos of a few people finishing and then went and sat in my car for a few minutes, sipping some post-race gatorade and cooling down with the AC.  Felt much nicer after that and so it was back to the park pavilion and surrounding area to get some more photos, happy finishers, supporters, etc.

iaap timing crew

iaap co-owner, friend Jose, taking some of his own photos of the finishers

Lady in the middle and lady on the right are friends of mine.  Don't know the lady on the left, but good job young lady, she is 'floating' here to the finish

My speedy friend, John..finished in 25-something...enjoying a post-race Big Red

Thanks for the Barbacoa!  These were the folks preparing and dishing it out

These 4 give a nice view of both the finisher medal and the race shirt

Age group placer

With friend Debbie

Age group winner

As usual for her, Bernadette won her age group

Team iaap was out in strength for this event

Did the race, now it's party time!

Epilogue

Very well organized event with course set up, timing, and results done by excellence race-and-run training local company iaapweb.  Pretty nice race shirts, finisher medals and post-race Big Red (locally based soft drink company if you are not familiar) and barbacoa - beef, lamb, or other meat that has been slowly cooked with seasonings, typically shredded as a filling in tacos, burritos, etc. Very nice race venue that has lots of facilities - pavilions, water fountains, multiple restrooms, cooking areas, etc.  . Pretty warm with a 9 a.m. but hey, even at 6 in the morning in Texas summer it is still pretty warm, lol.  You get used to it and just learn to deal with it. Have done this race in the past and will surely do it again in the future.

Mucho thanks to everyone who made this happen for we participants:  iaapweb and all the volunteers and San Antonio Running Company for packet pickup venue; all the sponsors and vendors, like Big Red, Kiolbassa Smoked Meats, Celorio Tortillas, Liz Rodriguez Photograpy, and many more;  and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

I opened this RR really just hoping to read more about the post-race barbacoa. 

I'm glad you are still racing every week.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I opened this RR really just hoping to read more about the post-race barbacoa. 

I'm glad you are still racing every week.

I actually don't even like barbacoa or Big Red, lol.  But this is a really good event on a nice course.

Yep, I  am staying pretty consistent with my doing races.  I tend to post a LOT of photos and worry about maybe I'm using too much space here with that and boring people.  Since I do probably use a lot of space here - and I can't remember the name of the guy who maintains this website, dang it - I really appreciate his patience and am so grateful for him letting me put my reports here, so am trying to be more consistent about making a few more donations over the year to help him with operating costs.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt