Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Like To Schedule Some "Me" Time (Read 185 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

How about some "me" time from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm?! Well that will never happen, so take what you can get.

Congrats to all our racers this weekend!

Yesterday I did 90 minutes on the bike trainer - I wanted to go for 2 hours but I ran out of "me" time LOL! Also did the myrtl, core, and other assorted body weight exercises.

Enjoy your Monday everyone!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Gustav.

One nice thing about the girls being away at college is having much more "me" time.  I like when they come home for visits, but then I am just as happy to get my time back when they leave.

I hit a couple of little milestones Saturday. I did my first-ever double-digit run (10.1 miles), which put me over 30 miles for the week (the second milestone).   Those aren't big jumps from previous mileage highs but I can call them milestones if I want to. Clown

SRD for me.  DH and I will be making decisions on paint and tile color for a kitchen mini makeover.

Jen2011

Good morning, Penguins!

Thanks for getting us started, Gustav!  Sounds like you had a great workout yesterday, despite cutting it short.

Philliefan, congrats on the double milestone weekend!!  Enjoy the SRD, and the mini-makeover in the kitchen!

AFM, today is a SRD.  Excited that my legs feel great, specifically my knee and hammy, after 10 yesterday.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

hog4life

Gustav, 90 minutes is still a long ride though, or at least in my book.

Margo, congrats on the milestones. Wanna do my kitchen when you're done with yours, lol?

Jen, enjoy the RD.

Today is ladder repeat intervals for me. I may have to do them at the gym, kind of on a time constraint after work today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday  !!!  Planning a short run on the nice warm track after work.  Congrats on the 10 miles Margo.

Take a rest day Tomas.

See you all later....Jerry

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is a rest day.

Ran Sunday in McAllister Park, my favorite park in San Antonio, and a nice bonus is that it's only 2 miles from my house.  Quite a weather change!  Yesterday 68 degrees and 100 percent humidity.  Today a low of 37 with a high of only 57.  Nutty Mother Nature!  I slept in a bit, waited for the sun to come up so it would warm up a little and headed for the park.  Run temp was 44 degrees but there was a wind of 15-20 mph making it feel like 39-40 degrees. At least the sun was out and nice blue skies.  The trails were perfect...nice and 'soft' with the recent rain we had but not too muddy so you sunk down as you ran, felt really great on the legs.

In this park, I have been knocked down on the trails several times in the past years by deer.  However, this run I saw the deer first! This fellow was watching me from the brush...

Way to go on your workout, Gustav!

Congrats on your milestones, Margo!   DH and I will be making decisions on paint and tile color for a kitchen mini makeover.  I bet your husband is THRILLED!  Wink

Enjoy the SRD, Jen.  Glad your leg/hammy is behaving!

Dang, Mitch, your gym lets you take a ladder in there?  Nice.... Joking  Good luck with the workout!

Nice, WARM track, Jerry?  So you get to run on a heated track?  That'll make your feets move quicker...kinda like running on a hot tin roof, right?  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Definitely a fan of "me" time.  Sorry you didn't get your 2 hours, but 90 minutes sounds like a good workout.

Phillie - Two running milestones, and an upcoming kitchen renovation.  That sounds like a great combination.  I love home improvement projects.

Jen - Enjoy your SRD.  I was pretty relieved that my legs felt good after this weekend too.  I went into this weekend knowing that I had a 12 and an 8 scheduled back to back, and was hoping my knee would continue it's improvement while holding up to that schedule.  Amazingly enough, it did.

Mitch - Sounds like you're going to have to run fast :-)  If it makes you feel better, it would take me longer than you.

Jerry - What?  You don't want to run outside today?  Winter is definitely back this morning.

Scotty - You should have dragged that guy home for dinner.

Congrats to T-Rod, Damaris, Scotty and anyone else who raced this weekend.  I think T-Rod should definitely rest up a bit.  How are you feeling today?

AFM - I'm just doing weights, core and stretching today.  I'm pretty excited that I took 5 pounds off since last Monday.  That's a great start toward my goal of losing another 15-20 pounds before my next half.  This weeks mileage will be down from last week, but has some faster running.  It should be fun.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

His Slowness

Happy Monday Penguins!

Gustav - Great job on the bike.  I've tried to ride our stationary bike from time to time but can't make anything like that.  A half hour is pushing it for me.

Margo - You're quite right to claim them as milestones.  I sure would.  I'm happy just getting to double digits for the week.

Jen - Enjoy the rest.

Mitch - Enjoy the ladders.  Still praying.

Jerry - Enjoy the short run.

Scotty - Enjoy the rest.  What is it with you and the deer?

I got in my 3 this morning in a window between rains.  The temp has dropped about 30 degrees since yesterday.  It is supposed to rain another 2.5 inches over the next couple of days.

Bill

His Slowness

Awood - you slipped in on me.  Enjoy the weights and the weight loss.  I haven't hit the scales yet today but I hope to be down a few pound over last week.  The holidays were a killer.  I put on 7 or 8 pounds.

Bill

Mmmmm...beer

All week is gonna be "me" time Smile Enjoying some quality time with the world's finest Navy onboard the USS Truman. Gonna be dreadmilling it all week. Internet is usually sketchy at best, so my posting might be limited, but I'll try. Congrats Tomas! And congrats to anyone else who raced this past weekend too! (sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everyone lately).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

It begins already with a lovely double post lol But hey, at least we have internet, I remember back when we first got email on the ships, and everyone had to type up their emails and save them to a disk (floppy, remember those? lol) and we all shared one address. Incoming emails were downloaded and printed out (and read I'm sure) by the admin department. Fun stuff. Now they have email, internet, starbucks (not kidding), all kinds of good stuff. Granted, it still sucks to be stuck on a ship for six months (or longer in most case these days).

-Dave

My running blog

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bill - Way to sneak one by mother nature.  I always feel like I've accomplished something special when I do that.

D - I love and respect my friends that serve in the military, but being on a aircraft carrier and running on a treadmill doesn't seem like it would be all that easy.  Then again, I'm sure it beats sitting around during your down time.  I wonder if they'd let you do laps around the deck.  That would be cool.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Bill - Way to sneak one by mother nature.  I always feel like I've accomplished something special when I do that.

D - I love and respect my friends that serve in the military, but being on a aircraft carrier and running on a treadmill doesn't seem like it would be all that easy.  Then again, I'm sure it beats sitting around during your down time.  I wonder if they'd let you do laps around the deck.  That would be cool.

It can definitely be interesting when the ship starts rocking. Smile They do let you run on the flight deck or in the hangar bay occasionally, but I doubt I'll get the chance on this short trip.

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

Ok, this is going to get really annoying if everything I post gets double posted!

-Dave

My running blog