Beginners and Beyond

Hello (Read 38 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Hello Everyone,

I feel a bit funny, as I've been lurking for a month or two but, I'm looking to participate in the forum group if that is ok. I'm a 55 (soon 55+) male who's been running most of the time since high school.  I'm the proverbial "skinny kid who's not good at ball sports" who ran because...that's what we do.  Love running and my goal in the next year is to run the Boston Marathon. I finally ran two qualifying times lats fall (marathons 3 and 4) with the help of moving up an age group. Unfortunately, after training for the first time in a Michigan winter, I came up lame in February (ITB syndrome for the first time in my life) and couldn't run Boston. So...try, try again for Boston 2021.

In the meantime, I plan on running an iconic Michigan race for the first time, the Crim 10 miler, in August. Then, hopefully, either a half or full marathon at the Holland Haven race in early September (was my Boston 2019 qualifying race) and the Detroit Free Press marathon in Oct (was my Boston 2020 qualifying race last year and am hoping maybe I can get an NYC qualifying time this year).

All that said, I'm kind of a solo runner and the group here seems very supportive and I'm hoping that participating will allow me to bore someone other than my wife and daughter with my running life and Boston goal!

I think I'm in the same geographic region as LRB and I was hoping to run Boston with DavePNW last year so I feel like I know a few of you already.  Hopefully, I can contribute something beyond just my self absorbed running self!

Thanks,

Ken (user name Wolvmar)

GinnyinPA

Welcome to the group!

onemile

Hi!

Cyberic

Hi Ken. If you bring a case of beer with your next post, it would be an appreciated gesture.

Docket_Rocket

Welcome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Hi Ken. If you bring a case of beer with your next post, it would be an appreciated gesture.

As a beer lover, I would love to be able to do that! I was enjoying a Lagunitas Willetized Coffee Stout while writing my Hello post. Definitely worth trying if you're into barrel aged stouts.

Thanks for the welcomes!

GinnyinPA

Sounds good.

LRB

and am hoping maybe I can get an NYC qualifying time this year).

Too bad Romeo 2 Richmond took a dive or you could actually attempt an NYCM qualifier while training for the marathon.

That was a great course, although barren. I'll be giving Brooksie a shot for the first time ever. Eek!

sdWhiskers

Welcome! I lurked for far too long before finally joining. Looking forward to following along with you on the road to Boston!

I'm hoping that participating will allow me to bore someone other than my wife and daughter with my running life and Boston goal!

That's pretty much why this place exists.

Good luck at the Freep! That was probably my second favorite marathon, after Boston. Solid BQ potential there as you know. Actually it was my first race with a BQ goal, but I came up a teeny bit short. Like 10 minutes, lol. Grand Rapids was a good one too, not sure if that's on your list at some point. It was in fact my first.

Dave

LRB

Welcome! I lurked for far too long before finally joining. Looking forward to following along with you on the road to Boston!

Thank you for coming out. 

As a beer lover, I would love to be able to do that! I was enjoying a Lagunitas Willetized Coffee Stout while writing my Hello post. Definitely worth trying if you're into barrel aged stouts.

Now you're talking. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the mecca for craft beers. Plenty of great stuff you can get out here, and actually the area where I work is ground zero for a bunch of outstanding tiny nano-breweries. However one brewery I do miss from my years living in MI is Founders. You cannot get it out here. Although a few months ago I was in the grocery store, and to my great surprise and delight, spotted a 4-pack of KBS. IDK if it still has the same cachet back in MI as it once did, but I remember when the annual release was accompanied by advance reservations, waiting lists, and purchase limits. Anyway I snapped it up and enjoyed it very much.

Dave

LRB

Now you're talking. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the mecca for craft beers. Plenty of great stuff you can get out here, and actually the area where I work is ground zero for a bunch of outstanding tiny nano-breweries. However one brewery I do miss from my years living in MI is Founders. You cannot get it out here. Although a few months ago I was in the grocery store, and to my great surprise and delight, spotted a 4-pack of KBS. IDK if it still has the same cachet back in MI as it once did, but I remember when the annual release was accompanied by advance reservations, waiting lists, and purchase limits. Anyway I snapped it up and enjoyed it very much.

I thought that title belonged to the midwest, did we lose it or did I have it wrong?

onemile

That was probably my second favorite marathon, after Boston.

Boston was your favorite marathon?

I think mine is still the IMM

LRB

Boston was your favorite marathon?

I think mine is still the IMM

Detroit is mine. Granted, in terms of variety, I'm pretty lame.