Beginners and Beyond

Who has got a full heart? Maybe not Scottydog... ;) (post now updated with my heart results) (Read 74 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, got my appointment for my heart stress test. Wed, Dec 30, 1500 (that's 3 PM for you civilian folks wink emoticon ) at Brooke Army Medical Center. For those that don't know, my heart apparently beats twice then misses a beat...then beats twice, misses a beat, etc. This was found during a routine appt with my primary doc and he kinda freaked out cuz when the nurse took my pulse it was below 30, did an EKG and it showed an 'abnormality'. Well, so what? What runner IS normal? wink emoticon I feel fine. From the time I was initially seen until I was given today the date for this appointment, I did 3 races in one day on one weekend, two races on the same day the next weekend and since last Tuesday, have run 7 days in a row with no problems at all - so you can see how much I'm 'freakin out" about this, lol.     Maybe a bit of a worry at the back of my mind, but for the most part, I think it will all turn out just fine. I think my heart is doing just fine, but I'll still go ahead with the appointment, let the cardiologist do his thing and see what he has to say.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

jwhite

Praying for good results. Obviously your race results show that your heart may just be fine.

Docket_Rocket

Good luck tomorrow!  Hoping for great results.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Good luck tomorrow!  Please keep us posted when you get the results.

Philliefan33

Good luck Scotty, I'll be thinking about you. It's probably just a loose screw.  Oh wait, that would be in your head...

Zelanie

Good luck, Scotty!  And hopefully you've warned the doc about your luck with treadmills!  At least there shouldn't be any deer in the room!

Good luck, tomorrow!

From the Internet.

Good luck Scotty! I bet everything will be fine Smile

SheCan

Good luck sweet friend.  I know he'll find out you have a big heart, and hopefully its as healthy as it is happy.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

#artbydmcbride

Well, any results yet?  

Runners run

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, any results yet?  

Yes!  I saw the cardiologist on Dec 30th.

Everything is good. Blood pressure 126/76, nice, pulse normal, heart beat normal - normal for me that is. My heart does not miss EVERY time like my Primary doc said, it only does it occasionally. Using a running reference, the cardiologist said this is my heart's way of taking a 'walk break" because it knows it CAN because I am FIT - and this 'walk break' is its way of not working so hard. My primary care doc only did ONE EKG which caught the missing beat and kind of flipped out about it. The cardiologist told me if he had done more than one, the results would have been different - but then, as he said, my primary doc is not a cardiologist so he would not know to do that. The cardiologist did FIVE EKGs on me and out of the 5, 4 were completely NORMAL (no missed beat, nothing, just a normal EKG) and one 'caught' the missed beat. He said this is pretty normal for lots of runners and, as an example, told me if he brought 20 runners into the office and tested them probably 2 or 3 would have this condition. He said it just shows a nice level of 'fitness" and so the heart works less hard. There is a medical name for this non-life-threatening missed beat thing and he told me but I can't remember it now - my friend Doc Susan Rachel probably knows what it is - but the bottom line is that is is really no big deal in my case. - no blockages found, no labored breathing, heart and lungs sound great and strong, etc. So no point in doing the stress test and putting me through that too, so I did not have to do that at all. I said 'Darn, and I dressed for it too". He laughed and jokingly said "Well, that's okay cuz when we cardiologists walk into the room and see someone in running gear, it makes us very happy, cuz we know you are active. We loooove runners!" lol. So the bottom line diagnosis was basically "Go in peace, my son, and live your life, and keep on running." Yay!

Do the Happy Dance...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Great news

delicate flower

Nice to hear it, Scotty!  Soooo, eight races this weekend?

<3

PADRunner

Great news Scotty!

Docket_Rocket

Nice to hear!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page