Beginners and Beyond

Running with GERD (Read 53 times)

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

So, this is my first post on here since around March of 2013.  I haven't been able to run or exercise since that same timeframe due to an unfortunate series of events.  Whilst in the middle of an intense training cycle I came down with what was thought to be sinusitis; commence anti-bio's, commence rest, etc.  I took about an week off and then tried to get back at it as I was gearing up for events.

And then something weird and scary happened.  I came home from work and started experiencing intense chest pains that stretched from the stomach to my throat.  I'd never felt anything like it.  My wife rushed me to the ER and they quickly ruled out heart problems.  They said that I was suffering from Pleurisy (later confirmed by my doctor and tests that I wasn't) and was put on an intense steroid regimen.

Long story short, after undergoing multiple tests I was diagnosed with GERD and a mild hiatal hernia.  The pain I suffer on a daily basis is annoying and dehabiliating at times.  I went from running 50 miles per week to nothing; struggling to get through a shift at work and straight to the couch I went.  Every drug regimen I've been on has failed to produce results and I am one step away from being sent to UW to join a study if I don't show improvement.  I've sought out homeopathic therapy with mild success, however my body is doing what it wants, when it wants.

I've altered my diet significantly which has helped some, and I've just been able to start walking in the last few months.  While walking, I was burping up bile but it wan't enough to make me stop.  Over the past few weeks I tried a run/walk program (1 minute jog/3 minute walk) and have started to feel better.  Yesterday, I went on an 2.5 mile jog without stopping and I didn't keel over.  I felt like I ran a marathon as my legs are completely gone.

I never thought I would be in a situation like this...50 plus miles per week, peaking with times aligning for a serious shot at Boston, to being relegated to a couch and suffering with intense pain.  This has been a humbling experience for sure.  I am so happy that I am able to get out there.  If I can someday run/walk a Half again I will feel as if I qualified for Boston.

Don't ever take this precious thing we do for granted.  I know I never will again.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

Love the Half

That really sucks.  I do try to remind myself on occasion that I have been remarkably lucky when it comes to this pursuit. Here's hoping the doctors figure out some way to get you back out there consistently.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Thanks!  I was amazed at how incredibly frustrating it is to be at the mercy of tests and drug therapy.

Docket_Rocket

I am sorry. I have GERD and at times it gets that bad. Are you on medication?  Which ones?  Sounds like yours is pretty advanced. Hope you can make it work

somehow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

I'm not currently on any medication.  But as it relates to GERD, you name it and I was on it.  Nothing stuck.  I've altered my diet and have learned to deal with it.  Sorry to hear that you have GERD as well.  Has it affected your training?

I am sorry. I have GERD and at times it gets that bad. Are you on medication?  Which ones?  Sounds like yours is pretty advanced. Hope you can make it work

somehow.

LRB

Never even heard of it and did not know anything about it until I googled it, hope things work out for you!

RSX

I possibly have or had it. 10 years ago I used to get terrible heartburn on runs among other things so went through a # of tests. My diagnosis is Achalacia which means narrowing of the esophagus which still happens but not as bad. I had 10-15 procedures for it until the last one took for a # of years. My advice is to see a gastro who may narrow down the learning timeframe. It took me maybe a year to have a correct diagnosis. I did change my diet (no eating after dinner, and careful on what I consume) before a run. While I was trying to figure it out, I ran with heartburn pills. Heartburn during a run when you are miles from water is awful. There are days I might be nervous about getting heartburn so run with a water bottle even just for 6. I take OTC stuff before any long run, but rarely any other time.

obiebyke

Terrible. FWIW, my girlfriend has GERD but had surgery and it barely bothers her at all, and she works out a LOT, including a lot of inversion yoga.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

The gastro is all I've been seeing for the past year or so.  He is about ready to send me to UW if I don't show marked improvement.  None of the pills that were prescribed worked.  I wish they did. 

I possibly have or had it. 10 years ago I used to get terrible heartburn on runs among other things so went through a # of tests. My diagnosis is Achalacia which means narrowing of the esophagus which still happens but not as bad. I had 10-15 procedures for it until the last one took for a # of years. My advice is to see a gastro who may narrow down the learning timeframe. It took me maybe a year to have a correct diagnosis. I did change my diet (no eating after dinner, and careful on what I consume) before a run. While I was trying to figure it out, I ran with heartburn pills. Heartburn during a run when you are miles from water is awful. There are days I might be nervous about getting heartburn so run with a water bottle even just for 6. I take OTC stuff before any long run, but rarely any other time.

Docket_Rocket

I'm not currently on any medication.  But as it relates to GERD, you name it and I was on it.  Nothing stuck.  I've altered my diet and have learned to deal with it.  Sorry to hear that you have GERD as well.  Has it affected your training?

Yes. I have marathons when I cannot stop throwing up. It is the main reason why I run marathons on an

empty stomach. But the worse is that it makes My asthma go haywire.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am sorry to hear about everyone's issues with GERD and hope y'all find something that works for you.

I have it somewhat, but thankfully and luckily only to a very small degree and it usually only occurs for me after I go to bed.  As retired military, thankfully I have a whole slew of some of the best docs in the world for treatment.  As for what I do, this may sound "simplistic" but this is what one of my docs told me to do and so far it has worked great for me:  about a couple hours before bedtime simply eat 5 or 6 non-salted tops crackers. He told me crackers do a great job of 'absorbing' excess stomach acid.  Since I have started doing this it is amazing how my incidences of this have reduced.  I've also done this a couple of hours before a run or race and found it helps with that too.

As said, mine is pretty minimal  (knock on wood); I don't know if the 'cracker method' would help with the degree of GERD y'all have described, that you folks are experiencing.  But maybe it can't hurt, either...maybe experiment with it and see if it helps y'all in any way.

Good luck to everyone, I really hope all of you find a solution for your individual situations!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, hubby didn't know that. We are going to try that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

RSX

The gastro is all I've been seeing for the past year or so.  He is about ready to send me to UW if I don't show marked improvement.  None of the pills that were prescribed worked.  I wish they did. 

Prescriptions never prevented anything. Perhaps it cut down my instances of it. My diet did it more than anything else. My diagnosis was determined during an emptying test. if the doctor isn't helping definitely time to go elsewhere.

onemile

Wow, this sounds really rough. I hope you can get some answers.

Cyberic

I know nothing about GERD, but I'll take your advice about being grateful to be healthy enough to run regularly like I do.

I wish you the best.