Beginners and Beyond

Training Plans and Finish Times (Read 153 times)

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Lara lives near where I live, and while it's not Miami stinkin' hot and humid, it's still stinkin' hot and humid.

True.  But at least it never snows.

flarunner

For which we are extremely grateful. Big grin

SheCan

She's contempating another marathon next month.  Cause it was so much fun.

&@##*%  Its not fair!

Smile

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

On my first visit to Florida back in Jan. 1966, snow chased me at far south as Gainesville.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Trail Monster

Before you completely give up on coaching look around. I got my coach for half the price of the other ones I talked to because she is newer to coaching and didn't have a lot of clients yet. However, my coach is a pretty great ultramarathoner with two 135 milers under her belt, including Badwater. She also won one of her hundreds and has a pretty high completion rate. Being that ultras are my focus I decided she had the right stuff for me and we've made a good team so far. And Damaris is right that reporting to someone else makes it really hard to cut a workout short or skip it unless you're dying. I cut my run short for the first time in 10 or 11 weeks tonight and that's only because my treadmill needs work and was making my already messed up knee hurt. The consistency and motivation alone have made it worth the price.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Re: coaching, you might want to look into your local running clubs, if you haven't already. In my area i'm part of a new club that just formed and part of our club is free coaching from the board members, three of whom are collegiate coaches (not to mention group runs twice per week where you can touch base with the coaches). They'll sit down with you and ask you about your current training and give you a plan, and help you along. I know in a neighboring city the running club is headed by a guy who runs a LRS and has won many marathons and other races and he is very personally involved. Something to look into that could get you the benefit of private coaching for a fraction of the cost.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

StepbyStep-SH

It might not work for this time, Lara, but on MothAudio's recommendation, I got the book Run Faster by Brad Hudson, which is focused on teaching runners how to be their own coaches - analyze your strengths and weaknesses and develop your own training plan based on those, in addition to adapting your training as you go, based on how your body responds. He does also have some "canned" plans in the book as examples. I used one of the examples as a base to craft a plan for Fargo in May - until then, I really won't know how it worked, and I will need to reread the book as I go through this training cycle. The biggest benefit may be in analyzing this cycle to prepare for the next.

You might look into the book; if nothing else, it does provide insight into examining what areas you need to improve on. He also talks about injury prevention (and swears by weekly or twice-weekly hill sprints).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Just B.S.

It might not work for this time, Lara, but on MothAudio's recommendation, I got the book Run Faster by Brad Hudson, which is focused on teaching runners how to be their own coaches - analyze your strengths and weaknesses and develop your own training plan based on those, in addition to adapting your training as you go, based on how your body responds. He does also have some "canned" plans in the book as examples. I used one of the examples as a base to craft a plan for Fargo in May - until then, I really won't know how it worked, and I will need to reread the book as I go through this training cycle. The biggest benefit may be in analyzing this cycle to prepare for the next.

You might look into the book; if nothing else, it does provide insight into examining what areas you need to improve on. He also talks about injury prevention (and swears by weekly or twice-weekly hill sprints).

I totally concur. I have been using his book to design my own training plans based on my needs and how

my body responds to the training. I especially connected with his theories because I have been doing the

whole "adapative" running thing on my own for a few years and hill sprints have been part of my self-designed

training for years.  I also change my plan for the day often depending on how I feel that day.

His book his common sense, easy to read and I highly recommend it.

Love the Half

I will concede that if you are training for sprints, then you'll be running fairly low mileage.  But, even for relatively short races such as the 1,500, the majority of your energy will come from aerobic pathways.  To run well at that distance, you need a strong aerobic engine and the only way you get that is by doing a lot of aerobic activity and that means running a lot of miles.  "A lot" is a matter of perspective.  2,500 miles per year is only 48 miles per week.  You will have a very, very hard time convincing me that the vast majority of people will run their peak in a primarly aerobic event event on less than 48 miles per week.

Hudson lists the following as appropriate weekly mileage for "Highly Competitive" runners depending on the goal race distance.

5K - 50-60

10K - 60-70

Half Marathon - 70-80

Marathon - 80-90

I will also concede that the 800 is a completely different beast.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Trail Monster

LTH you make a good point and I don't think anyone here is training for less than 5k except for maybe WC.

The CP pathway provides about 25 seconds of energy. Pretty much just gets you started. Anaerobic glycolysis provides about 30-90 seconds of energy which keeps you moving while your aerobic metabolism warms up (takes about 4 minutes to reach full production). After that you're running on mostly aerobic with a small contribution from anaerobic. Basically, unless you're running for less than 4 minutes there's not much use to maximal or sprint training.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Chairman

I will concede that if you are training for sprints, then you'll be running fairly low mileage.  But, even for relatively short races such as the 1,500, the majority of your energy will come from aerobic pathways.  To run well at that distance, you need a strong aerobic engine and the only way you get that is by doing a lot of aerobic activity and that means running a lot of miles.  "A lot" is a matter of perspective.  2,500 miles per year is only 48 miles per week.  You will have a very, very hard time convincing me that the vast majority of people will run their peak in a primarly aerobic event event on less than 48 miles per week.

Hudson lists the following as appropriate weekly mileage for "Highly Competitive" runners depending on the goal race distance.

5K - 50-60

10K - 60-70

Half Marathon - 70-80

Marathon - 80-90

For the 1500, the training can vary pretty wildly even among the top runners. Some reportedly run fairly low mileage, as in under 50 mpw, while others run a lot more. The difference between the base building period and the sharpening and racing period will often vary considerably as well. A 1500 runner might put in some pretty formidable mileage over the winter, but it comes down considerably during the track racing season, and could be considered "low" even by BF standards, especially among runners that like to do a lot of weight training and plyometrics.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5K - 50-60

10K - 60-70

Half Marathon - 70-80

Marathon - 80-90

Brad, you're looking at a full year and assuming a consistent mileage using what are probably totals for base mileage weeks.  When you look at weekly mileage during different phases of training as well as "down time" after a heavy competitive season, you may get a very different perspective because of the distribution of mileage. One could easily hit 50-60 mpw or more at peak during a base phase but may only be running 30-35 during a sharpening phase and competitve season for the middle distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

But you've been running in 40F lately.  I hate you!

Lara lives near where I live, and while it's not Miami stinkin' hot and humid, it's still stinkin' hot and humid.

Lara, if you input your latest marathon into the calculator and put your goal marathon, it will give you paces that won't kill you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

48.  We hit 48 once.  And naturally, it's warming up again.  But I don't stress too much about the weather.  I love Florida.

My marathon times from last year are so out of line with any of my other times that I hadn't thought to look at it that way.  I was mostly comparing what races I'd done recently to the ones I did early last year to get a sense of how much work it would be to get back to where I was.  I've only run a 5k and a 5 mile so I can't imagine I'll have a true indicator until after I've run a half.  But my 5 miler was very similar pace wise to the 10k I ran before Cleveland which I think is hopeful.

But as I've mused before, it's possible that the marathon isn't my distance.  Objectively, I've had far more success in the 5k.  But I don't like 5ks.  Leaving me to wonder if I'm not trying hard enough or if I'm just a 4:30 marathoner and whether or not I'm ok with that.  Cause I just like marathons better.

Yes, I am babbling.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

I just plugged in my Cleveland time (4:28) and my goal (4:10) and it spit out slower times than I've been running in races or training (although I've not done any tempo runs yet.)  I didn't count Towpath since I was pretty badly injured during that race.

Must go read a book or something before my head explodes.