Beginners and Beyond

2013 Rock n Roll Savannah RR (my first HM) (Read 88 times)

Love the Half

Congrats on getting your first under your belt.  It's a good feeling.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's definitely an accomplishment to be proud of.  I think it's great that you've already evaluated the race, and made notes of the lessons learned.  I feel like that can't do anything, but help as you go forward.  It's great that you ran for TJ as well.  Awesome race report.  Rest up a little bit, and get right back at it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Congratulations, Robert.  It's good that you can be proud of the progress you've made.  Because we hang out here on the forums with runners who are fast and super fit and run half marathons with one leg tied behind their back, it's sometimes easy to forget that the general public does not  train for and complete 13.1 mile races.  Now that you set that automatic PR, it sounds like you have some good ideas to improve for the next time.

I bet you made your son very proud.  Smile

catwhoorg

Labrat

Go Team TJ.

Getting my first under my belt a few years ago was the gateway.

I love running halves, and they do get better with experience.

Almost every newer runner is undertrained for their first. Learn from that for the next one.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

GREAT job on your debut HM!

- Andrew

SheCan

Congratulations Robert!  Isn't it wonderful to find that we can do amazing things when we set our minds to it?  Love the teeshirt you had made.  You did fantastic, and best of luck in your future races.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hip Redux

That shirt is the best!  Team TJ!

Congrats on your first HM!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job Robert!!!! You are really an amazing father, Robert!! TJ could not have blessed a better family with his presence, it is inspirational that you have dedicated this running journey to him. Proud to be part of Team TJ with my green band that goes on every run with me. My boyfriend was looking at my bands after my race yesterday and for the first time noticed the green one and asked about Team TJ and I proudly told him about your son and how many people run for him all over the country. Nice finish I am sure TJ was so proud!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Robert31320

Team TJ

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate all of the comments!  This has been a heck of a journey for me and I am happy to be a part of this group.

I plan to get back to running Tuesday morning to be better prepared for my next race.  I just found this afternoon, an inaugural race in mid-February in Savannah that I just may enter. 

Running for TJ because he can't.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Awesome job on your race - you got to live your dream and run for someone who can't. My wife and I do some ministry work for our church at a local rehab facility. Truth be told the patients are all "lifers" and are either in wheel chairs or bed bound due to MS, CP, accidents, etc. I think of them often when I run.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Robert, congratulations on your first HM, i'm sure it's the first of many to come..(it's habit forming)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats on your first HM! I love that so many cheered for TJ. Enjoy all that swag and best wishes as you continue to train.

Will be thinking of the man who passed away. So sorry to hear about that.

Zelanie

Congratulations!  Sounds like this will be your first of many HMs! Smile  Very happy for you and for TJ!

Little Blue

Well done, well done!  You made me a little misty eyed with the shirt.  Please change your avatar to the shirt picture.  It shows how far you've come, and the Team TJ and thumbs up says it all.

Congratulations!

LRB

Way to hang tough Rob!  No matter the pace, completing that first half marathon is a big deal for all of us!

Regarding the back pain, core work is cool, but consistent mileage will work too.  Nothing ridiculously high, just steady and consistent.  In the five to six day a week range.