Beginners and Beyond

Morning after MONDAILIES (Read 56 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Rest" day for me, but I think I'll work on some strengthening exercises for this IT band.  I'll be doing some reading later.

IN the meantime, you know it's bad when your coffee is tired.  WAKE UP!!!

Coffee Lover:

And for people who don't like coffee (like me)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sunday race was especially interesting, 1,200 people running and walking on the San Antonio Riverwalk.  QUITE crowded, but some nice views of the river from the route.

Knowing you're a magnet for Great Legs, I'll bet there were other nice views. Big grin

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Better I Leave

UGH!  Me and lunges hate each other.  I do everything weighted, too, so it's especially hateful.  My ass and lunges, however, love each other.  But not until weeks later.

Oh...Don't I know it. Deadlifts? No worries. Squats? Keep stacking those plates baby!!! Lunges....GAWDDAMN!!!! But they are a great exercise.

StepbyStep-SH

SIAR - 10 on the TM? C'mon - I did 17 there Saturday. Which was a big part of why today HAD to be outside.

Lily - Have fun!

I had a wonderful, slow, sunshine-filled 9 miles on snow this morning! No, it didn't match with what was on my schedule, but it was what my mood needed.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

4 done at lunch on the TM for me.  Probably a bit too fast (9:17) but it feels good to hit those paces again.

You can call me Anna

Mostly harmless

8 miles done with 4 decent hill climbs.  I tried to run the up hill parts as a progression, going a little faster each time.  I wound up with these:

9:49

9:32

9:26

8:48 <- I almost barfed after this one.

These aren't real hills like Beth deals with, but it was a good workout for this old guy.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

robinde

I decided to drag my butt out and do my scheduled 4 easy.  I'm glad I did.  My legs weren't as heavy as I thought they'd be and I'm feeling a mood boost.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Knowing you're a magnet for Great Legs, I'll bet there were other nice views. Big grin

Yep, there WERE quite a few of those...as you can see in the photos in my report.   Big grin

Phil:  Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

LRB

I decided to drag my butt out and do my scheduled 4 easy.  I'm glad I did.  My legs weren't as heavy as I thought they'd be and I'm feeling a mood boost.

This is awesome and the reason we do what we do!

Scott that looks like a nice challenge!  I have learned that hills were not the root cause of my hip pain as I originally thought, rather they exposed a weakness in my hip.  I actually run on rolling hills on the weekend but since my hips are getting stronger, I feel no pain.

Boon, I will be most happy your surgery is done so I can stop cringing and grabbing my knee every time I read about you and that elliptical machine lol!

Kay, I need to get to know walking lunges this year.  They are great for balance.

Sarah, that glute area pain could be your piriformis, there are some great stretches to pull that thing out.

@runjerseygirl

Kay, I need to get to know walking lunges this year.  They are great for balance.

I used to do them (weighted) all the time when I was lifting regularly.  I should really start doing them again.  I just HATE them.  Which probably means I should do them more.

Do you even run?

BruceD555

I'm late to the dailies and have no chance of doing shout-outs ... now is the first time today at work that  I got my head above water enough to take a breath.

My left shin was just a teensy bit tight this morning after yesterday's slippery snow 15, but it feels fine now. I think I'll run indoors tonight at the track to just have some solid footing. I'm planning on an easy 5 ... though it looks like I may just consider 8 if that's how things work.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Pinktastic

Sarah, that glute area pain could be your piriformis, there are some great stretches to pull that thing out.

LRB, if you've got a website or video or something which explains the steps for the stretches, I'd be mighty glad to get them and incorporate them into my routine.   I'm not a big fan of stretching, but I'm not happy with the way things are so I'm thinking I better "get happy" about stretching or go back to the couch....    ;-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

LRB, if you've got a website or video or something which explains the steps for the stretches, I'd be mighty glad to get them and incorporate them into my routine.   I'm not a big fan of stretching, but I'm not happy with the way things are so I'm thinking I better "get happy" about stretching or go back to the couch....    ;-)

Pinktastic, here is a very easy piriformis stretch you can do anywhere:  simply sit in a chair.  If the bothersome area is your left cheek but, then put your left foot on your right knee,  Hold your left knee and gently pull it back toward your chest in a controlled motion.  You will feel the 'stretch" in your butt cheek.  Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, release.  Repeat 10 times.   My PT gave me this stretch and it is pretty effective...and convenient if you happen to work in an office environment, you can do it right in your desk chair.

You can do a search on 'piriformis stretches" and find a whole lot more stretches on various websites.   Good luck~

Pinktastic

Pinktastic, here is a very easy piriformis stretch you can do anywhere:  simply sit in a chair.  If the bothersome area is your left cheek but, then put your left foot on your right knee,  Hold your left knee and gently pull it back toward your chest in a controlled motion.  You will feel the 'stretch" in your butt cheek.  Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, release.  Repeat 10 times.   My PT gave me this stretch and it is pretty effective...and convenient if you happen to work in an office environment, you can do it right in your desk chair.

You can do a search on 'piriformis stretches" and find a whole lot more stretches on various websites.   Good luck~

Scotty - I just tried it.  Amazing!!   Thanks so much for sharing!!   :-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

LRB

I am at work and cannot link videos but here is a couple of the ones that get into that ass right now!

For these, you feel the stretch as you bend.  The table or whatever it is you use has to be low enough so you are comfortable and not straining.  For instance I can do them on a desk or table, but not on say a washing machine, but the fact that I can do it with either leg literally blew my mind!  

If you do a google image or video search you will find these and a ton more.  There are a few where you lay on your back and pull your leg across your body, but those did nothing to alleviate the pain for me.