Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins, I knew I forgot something! (Read 10 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Turns out I forgot to start the Penguin thread!!  I bailed on my bike ride again this morning due to fear ... I really need to find some way to get over it and at least get out on the bike, otherwise how do I expect to ever not be afraid of it?  But it's getting darker in the mornings, which makes it a little more problematic as well.  Still pondering that one.  Maybe I'll have to shelve my project until spring and go back to running in the meantime?  Well, I set the back of my brain to work on that one, so we'll see what pops out.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  You forgot us!

I have 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, you're more afraid from falling on the bike than on running at the same hour?  Then, run and do the cycling project on the weekends when you can start later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I know.  I'm a dork sometimes.  I think if I get up early on Saturday and ride (possibly Sunday too), that would work.  I could wait until it was light (ok, not on Sunday, we leave stupid-early for church) but I wouldn't have to deal with traffic and ... you know ... people. 

GinnyinPA

HM You can always ride after church. Maybe find a rail trail someplace with no cars to worry about?

D - I hope your 5 went well. With all the miles you are doing now, plus your extra activities, I imagine you are looking forward to cutting back soon. Do you start taper next week?

AFM: Hot and humid, but the temperature dropped a bit after an afternoon thunderstorm so I headed out for a short 6 miler. The sun soon came out so it got hotter as the run went on, but I was done with the worst of the hills by then, so I kept going.

Docket_Rocket

I usually taper two weeks only but not sure what my coach will give me.  She already said she is cutting back miles next week but not by much.

Noce 6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page