Beginners and Beyond

Hey yo, Penguin Mondailies!! (Read 23 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Seriously, I'm starting the Penguin thread at 11:40?  What, are you all asleep or lounging by the pool with fruity drinks or something?  I pulled in to work about 11:00 today because of my sixth PT appointment.  Thankfully she didn't give me any new exercises, although she modified my "monster walks" to make them harder.  So that's all good -- I had a couple of days last week where my knee actually didn't hurt, so hopefully I'm still making progress.  I went for a walk yesterday with Dusty and DH, and it fussed for a bit after that, so I'm still taking it sort of easy.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LRB

Hey, yo. 

You ever try monster walks on a treadmill?

Zelanie

Hi there, HsM!  Getting harder exercises means you are getting stronger. Smile

I meant to get up and run this AM, but I slept in instead.  Probably a RD today as we have touristy stuff to do around Vancouver.  But we will see.

From the Internet.

HsM - no pain for a couple days is great! Hope the PT keeps doing good things for you Smile

Rest day here though I kind of want to run, at work for a couple hours (speaking of which I should probably stop screwing around on the internet and actually do the 3 things I have to do today   ), stopping at the LRS to scope out socks and restock my GU supply, and then heading home early to work on data analysis/writing and maybe vacuum a little. Slowly returning to normal after my grieving period, trying to keep my house semi-clean again.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, yo. 

You ever try monster walks on a treadmill?

As a complete and utter klutz, I'm not so sure that's a good idea!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Rest day for me.  Today is my last day of work for the school year =D  Then it is summer chilling time.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Rest day for me.  Today is my last day of work for the school year =D  Then it is summer chilling time.

Woohoo!  You guys go late in the year!

LRB

As a complete and utter klutz, I'm not so sure that's a good idea!!

Stop, just stop. lol

For PT it probably is not a good idea but I use it for strengthening so it works great, especially at home where space limitations hamper me.

There is a getting used to it aspect so when I started at 1 to 1.5 MPH but eventually worked my way up to 3.5 MPH, which has a slight cardio benefit as well.

But no, you stay doing them how you are doing them as things are obviously working for you (knock on wood!), which is great news!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

31st race done on Saturday.  Report and photos on the front page somewhere.  This 5K included tubing into a river.

Sunday went out to do an easy 3 miles, ended up with 4.5 miles, with a couple of small hills thrown in.

Rest day today.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Stop, just stop. lol

For PT it probably is not a good idea but I use it for strengthening so it works great, especially at home where space limitations hamper me.

There is a getting used to it aspect so when I started at 1 to 1.5 MPH but eventually worked my way up to 3.5 MPH, which has a slight cardio benefit as well.

But no, you stay doing them how you are doing them as things are obviously working for you (knock on wood!), which is great news!

LRB, do you use a stretchy band with your monster walks?  I'm currently doing mine with a black stretchy band tied around my knees, but my PT wants me to change to tying it around my ankles.  I think with a TM I'd get it caught in the belt!  Though if I won that Funny Home Video contest ...

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, you were going to skip the tubing and just run.  Did you end up tubing?

LRB

LRB, do you use a stretchy band with your monster walks?  I'm currently doing mine with a black stretchy band tied around my knees, but my PT wants me to change to tying it around my ankles.  I think with a TM I'd get it caught in the belt!  Though if I won that Funny Home Video contest ...

Of the colored resistance bands; yellow, green, blue, red & black. I use the blue or red one on the treadmill.

The black one has too much resistance for the fluidity needed trying to keep up with the belt.

That you are on the black belt is great though.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, half my exercises are blue belt, half are black.  Then there's the "stand on one leg and throw a tennis ball into a rebounder".  Which sounds so easy until you miss the rebounder completely and the ball goes bouncing down the stairs ...

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys!  Fly by post.  Just got into SC for work and I am just having lunch.  Some miles later, after a nap.  Haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page