Beginners and Beyond

Where are the Wednesday Penguins? (Read 10 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Today I have 5 miles easy.  I'm sort of (not really) tapering for this half on Sunday.  Normally I'd do 7 or 8 on a Wednesday but I figured I'd try to keep myself a little fresh while still meeting my weekly goal for the miles game.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have Pilates or Pilates and 6 miles.  I'll decide tonight.

Jill, enjoy the 5 and good luck this weekend.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My allergies have exploded into full-blown ickiness.  Sore throat, sniffling, blech.  I think I'm going to try the total immersion theory this year -- the more I'm in it, hopefully the more my body will calm down and quit overreacting.  Hey, it might work, you never know!!  So I have a walk this afternoon, and quartet practice this evening.

Jill -- enjoy your fresh 5!!

Docket -- have a good time, whichever you decide!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning!  Good luck this weekend, Jill!

Hi, D!

HsM- Hope you feel better soon!

I have 1 mile later tonight.

Amazonian Princess

Good luck, Jill, and thank you for starting the morning thread  How was Iceland? I was waiting for an appointment yesterday and started reading old threads to catch up. Any pics?

'Morning Docket, I love the new 'do! My hair has reached mid back so I think I'm going to color the bottom 4 inches red or purple before hacking it off and going short for summer, too.

Hi, Zel! What was your impression of Fresno? I'm from there but you can't offend me - my 5k PR was in Downtown Fresno had to get outta there sooner! Clovis has an awesome trail, though.

I'm home fron work today to take care of my left knee. Last month, a few hours after an easy 4 miles, my knee stiffened up and swelled. It didn't go away so I emailed my doc and she figured it was an arthritis flare up. I ran/walked the 408k and it got ever so much worse. Went in for an exam and she referred me to Ortho; saw them yesterday and I have a torn meniscus. Got a cortisone shot and I go back in 2 weeks for MRI if it's not better. 3/14 was my runniversary for graduating from Couch to 5k and now I'm just Couch 

Sorry to be a whiny pants. I'm grateful Mr Bacon did great after his knee replacement and at least no one has said I won't be able to run again but it seems I may have a new C25k anniversary after I rehab the crap out of this thing!

I can. I will. I am. 

Amazonian Princess

Hi, HsM! Sorry to hear about the allergies. What does total immersion involve for treating allergies? More time outdoors exposing yourself? Wait, that sounded a little exhibitionist...

I can. I will. I am. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, basically in involves getting outside instead of hiding inside.  I doubt there's any science backing up my theory, but at least it gets me outside in the sunshine!  Exposing myself, ha! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Baconista - I hope the shot helps your knee.  If not, meniscus surgery isn't that bad.  Healing is pretty quick (especially as compared to a TKR).

Jill - good luck with the race this weekend.

Z - are you streaking?  How long has it been?

HopesMom - do you know what you're allergic to?  Tis definitely the season.  DH and I were affected when we were down south, but spring is barely beginning up here so it's not so bad yet.

D - enjoy your Pilates plus.

I'll probably do 5 or 6 later.  I did yoga a couple of hours before my run yesterday and was surprised at how much less sore I was afterwards than I have been the past few runs. My legs felt normal!

Zelanie

Ginny, today will be day 110. Glad the yoga is working so well! I always feel like I don't have time, but we know it's worth it!

Bacon, that is such a bummer! Hope the cortisone does its thing.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi.

Yesterday I had my weekly butt kicking run and it was sort of a fail. It was a 9 mile tempo run with a one mile warm up and 38 minutes @ 7:00 pace.  The last three minutes were tough but I did it, however, I was so HOT. I needed about 2.5 miles of cool down for my 9 miles but I stopped at 7 (I was on the TM at the gym). I was done. Then I noticed that I would not stop sweating. It was literally pouring out of my and my shirt and shorts were drenched.  I went to the bathroom and my face was a deep dark red and it was not good. My buddy who works at the front desk said "Dude, you don't look so good," so I just sat down for about twenty minutes. I always weigh myself before and after a tough or long run and I usually lose about two pounds. I dropped FOUR pounds after this one.  Not good. I think I was just completely overheated and now I'm fine. I was sad to not get my 9 miles but was happy I hit the tempo part of it. Training is going well. Today I will be back. I am supposed to run 10 easy but I may settle for 8.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry about the allergies, HopesMom. Our allergens are too high all year long and it's killing me.

Z, forgot to ask, how long has your streak been?  I am always amazed as those that do that; life gets in the way too much for me to do it consistently.

Baconista, thanks!  I would love dyeing it that way!  Cut it off!

Ginny, glad you liked the yoga workout and nice run.

Jack, you just like your butt kicked, don't you?

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Sorry about the allergies, HopesMom. Our allergens are too high all year long and it's killing me.

Z, forgot to ask, how long has your streak been?  I am always amazed as those that do that; life gets in the way too much for me to do it consistently.

Baconista, thanks!  I would love dyeing it that way!  Cut it off!

Ginny, glad you liked the yoga workout and nice run.

Jack, you just like your butt kicked, don't you?

Well, a little bit, I guess...

Singer who runs a smidge

Pollen saturation accomplished! 

Brilliant

Hello Penguins,

I've had aches & pains, and home improvement, that have prevented me from running much lately.  I guess I'm in a periodic "funk".

I ran 6.4 this morning and it felt good.

Hope to catch up with you all.