Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 20 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I felt like I was on the mend but yesterday I spiked a fever and napped for like 5 hours in the middle of the day.  Needless to say I didn't get my run done.  My 15k race starts at 8:30.. it should be.. interesting.  I might be too sick to race, but the weather is mild.  Kristin and another friend are both running it, so worst case scenario I take a stroll around central park and then get some brunch.  I'd skip it, but my friend needs encouragement to get out there.  She's been in a running rut since she ran her first half in May and has run maybe 5-10 times since then?  Also... brunch =P

The group that I run with is having a holiday party tonight, which I'm almost certainly skipping.  I have a strict no alcohol when sick policy.  Though it has been 10 days now, so bah humbug.  Also, I don't think that the running club would be happy if I got them all sick right before Christmas.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning sapf and Pens.

Feel better, Sapf.  Enjoy the Central Park stroll and brunch.

Sometimes I think the best part of a LR is the great nights sleep after.  So, SRD for us.  Probably taking a stroll as well, unfortunately not in Central Park.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Lots and lots of rain here still.  Heading out to WW in a bit.

Ginny, you were right that WW was introducing a new program, and that accounted for some of the extra hours I've been doing this fall.  I just couldn't talk about it until this week. Smile  Today will be the last meeting of the "introduce your new program" week, so it will be nice to relax a bit after that!

sapf- Hope that you have fun and feel well enough to enjoy it!

Jerry- Have a nice SRD!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I wound up running the whole thing with Kristin. I was too sick to race it. It was a nice day and I'm glad I got out there.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 6 miles tonight.  Still coughing and sneezing and it appears that whatever junk is left is taking their sweet time to GTFO.  Hot day here so the marathon I was hoping to run tomorrow is a no go.  Hell no.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Absolute perfect long run weather today! Ran in shorts and a t-shirt and was perfectly comfortable. ESU mode has been activated and naptime will happen shortly - can't sleep all day, holiday party for H's work later, but a 20 or 30-minute power nap would be super right about now!

GinnyinPA

Jill - I'm glad you were able to get out and run it, even if you didn't race it.  How was brunch?

Damaris - I hope you're feeling better after today's run.

Jerry - I hope you had a nice walk on your rest day.

Z - did you get in your streak run?  Stay warm if you can't stay dry.

Lauren - I hope you got a pre-party nap, though I know that's hard when you have kids.

I did my long run today so I can go for a hike with DH tomorrow.  Today was the last day of deer rifle season, and we've been waiting to get out to the mountains until it was over.  My run wasn't a great one since I had very little energy, but my pace didn't slip too badly and the last two miles were faster so I guess I did better than it felt. I keep reminding myself, "Running on tired legs is good training."  But sometimes it just sucks.

Zelanie

Ginny, I think you're right,  this part of training is supposed to feel like that. Glad you got it done and that the hunters will be heading back home.

I still haven't run today.  But I will, never fear.

PADRunner

Coffee Check

Cliff Bar Check

Umbrella Check

It's showtime!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Coffee Check

Cliff Bar Check

Umbrella Check

It's showtime!

Good luck!!

From the Internet.

Coffee Check

Cliff Bar Check

Umbrella Check

It's showtime!

Go PAD! Show that thing who's boss!!

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, PAD!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Go PAD!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

GO PAD!

13 miles for me.

Have fun shopping.