Beginners and Beyond

Penguins' April Weight Loss Challenge (Read 45 times)

Google doc with current standing

Over in the penguin thread, there are quite a few of us who would like to take off some pounds before serious spring training gets underway.  Although it started in the igloo, as usual everyone who would like to participate is welcome.

How it works:  Weigh yourself on the weekend, and post how you did.  It doesn't matter which day, but try to be consistent.  The one who is down the most by 4/1 wins (or take the previous weekend's weight if you're happy with it).  Your prize?  Bragging rights, plus being that much closer to your goals for your next training cycle.  You don't have to post the actual number if you don't want to, just call your starting weight "X" and your subsequent weights "X-2.4" or whatever.  I'll keep this first post edited with current standings.

May the best penguin (or honorary penguin) win!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITKnO7DfeIuBtg2cP02ov-WOl0gPxvyFPvSq7_EoghA/edit?usp=sharing

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Hi Pens,

Ain't it grand when you can figure something out? I'm a wiz with Excel but never played in Google docs before. Would someone give a test to the link in the post above to verify I haven't patted myself on the back too soon?

I've updated our "Penguins' Weight Loss Challenge" spreadsheet with those folks that said they wanted in for April with their last given weight. Those who cried "Uncle" or met their goal (Woohoo! Lilly!!) have been removed. For the rest of the crew, I added March's last weight.

AFM - 151.5

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job in figuring it out, hopefully I can happily report another lb lost this Sunday.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

tracilynn

Looks great Kathleen! thanks so much.

I am hoping to check in in the "120s" next weigh in. (129.9 or less hopefully) I'm getting close.  Fingers crossed.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Now you are now a Google Docs expert, Kathleen.  I'll have to figure it out sometime.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Only If I can count only my losses and not my gains!

(to be fair - I'm where I need to be - just add or delete a lb or 2 per week)

Good luck all!

Amazonian Princess

First, thank you guys for the hugs and support last time I posted. Didn't mean to overshare but vision problems are just pretty damn effed up.

And since then, Mr. Bacon and I kinda threw the diet out the window. Last week he took me to Monterey so I could run while he rode his bike on the recreational trail. Ran my fastest mile outside a race, but I think it was a combination of my hair in a lilyknot (it's what I call the high twisted and tucked ponytail since it was inspired by happylily ) and the steep downhill of Morituri dune (it's what we call this MONSTER part of the path near Seaside beach). We exercised, but we also ate a lot of deep fried badness and salt water taffy.

We've tried to be better this week, and hopefully weekly weigh-ins will keep us on track. Thank you, Zel for initiating this and thank you, Kathleen for taking over April!

I can. I will. I am. 

happylily

(((Baconista))), It sounds like you needed some way to unload your stress and I'm glad that you and your DH enjoyed some fun time together in Monterey. I've never been anywhere in California, but I imagine it like some kind of paradise. I hope that your medical problems soon become a thing of the past for you. And bravo on that fast mile! It means your legs are still strong despite everything that's happened to you recently.  Oh and... lilyknot... lol

You know, guys, lately, I've had more stress at work than usual. I know that for most people here my stress is nothing like the stress that comes with the more important responsibilities that most of you have with your jobs. I only work with children. But the dynamic in the group of six pre-schoolers I have this year is really bad. I've never had a group like this one. There is a lot of screaming (from them, not me), running around when it's not permitted, biting and poking eyes between 3 of the boys, endless whining and negotiating from one of the girls, etc.. Plus, I seriously think that one of the children has a mental handicap (I can't explain it. It doesn't seem like a disorder, just a very low IQ...). I do not know how to tell the parents (or if there is anything to tell, really...) and I feel unqualified to help the child. It makes me really sad and at the same time, handling that child sucks my energy. I try to deal with it in a calm manner, and I somewhat succeed most of the time, but I find that when things get really bad and I feel exhausted and on the verge of screaming at the children, I reach for something sugary to put in my mouth. It doesn't really help the situation, but for 5 minutes, it allows me to calm down and my brain feels rewarded for putting up with all the non-sense around me. Without the running, I'd have gained maybe 25 lbs since September of last year. Why I tell you all of this is just to explain that this has opened my eyes on one of the reasons why people become overweight. I'm sorry if I have ever thought that losing weight was a simple thing. It is far from simple and it's not just about cutting food... I admire you all for doing what you're doing here. And I pray to God that I'm never forced to stop running, because it won't be pretty, I tell you...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

I seriously need to get my azz back on the ball. I missed the last weigh in for March, I think.....been out to Savannah with Robert, Angie, and TJ and eating way too much.

I weighed this morning at 164. This is up 2 from the March 28 weigh-in. I still have my goal of getting under 160, and I know that things will get better. Just like everyone else, I too, have a bunch of stress going on in life. It sure makes it hard to focus with so much going on.

Bacon, sorry to hear that about your vision, I sure hope it's not permanent.

Lily, my hat goes off to you for being so strong. I know this one child is testing you, but it takes a great person with a big heart and a ton of patience to do what you do on a daily basis.

LRB

You know, guys, lately, I've had more stress at work than usual. I know that for most people here my stress is nothing like the stress that comes with the more important responsibilities that most of you have with your jobs. I only work with children.

Stress is stress. It does not matter if your job is picking up discarded cigarette butts at the park or removing brain aneurysms...okay, maybe a little. lol

You know what I mean though, regardless of what we do it all needs to get done.

LRB

First, thank you guys for the hugs and support last time I posted. Didn't mean to overshare but vision problems are just pretty damn effed up.

We are nothing if not a caring and compassionate group.

Good luck with dealing with that!

What a great place to vent and share. After all, isn't that what e-friends are for?

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Thank, you, Kathleen, for jumping in for April!

I am also swamped at work, and the work stress is piling up.  This has been my hardest year at work in quite some time, and I am just barely hanging on.  Not just with the food thing, but in general.  Things have improved since everything went all to hell in early March, but I'm realizing that I'm under enough stress that I'm about one straw away from a broken camel's back at all times.

Still, I'm hanging in there.  This morning's weight was not a happy number, but there's always tomorrow, right? 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Whoohoo! 144.4 lbs!!!! Oh I am so close to my first goal of 140 lbs Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

139. Won't be a good week with with a runcation starting Wednesday.