Beginners and Beyond

2014 Puerto Rico Half Marathon RR: With LOTS of Pics (More Pics Added) (Read 89 times)

Docket_Rocket

Yesterday, I paced hubby at the 2014 Puerto Rico Half Marathon. If you remember, I ran the inaugural marathon last year and had a blast, even though the heat index was 100F and the dewpoint was 80F.  Since they moved the race to March this year, I registered myself for the marathon and hubby for the half and we hoped for better weather.

Then, I chose my surgery date and I had to let at least three races and lost the registrations on those.  Having said that, now that I went through the surgery, I wonder why didn't I just do it in January and fuck all the races I didn't want to lose my registration on.  But, you live, you learn.

I initially requested to defer the race and we expected not to go at all.  My husband had been dealing with shin splints since his last half marathon in December and there was no way I could run a marathon five weeks post surgery.  But, since I started running earlier than expected and running has been going great, well, really, it's been fucking great, hubby said: let's go visit the family, and recommended I asked whether I could do the half marathon.  This conversation happened last weekend.  So, with only a 7 miler post surgery, I asked and they said yes.  And off we went!

We flew Friday night and JetBlue was delayed, so we arrived in San Juan at 2am on Saturday morning.  Went to bed at 3am and woke up at 8am.  Awesome sleep, not.  We had breakfast at our favorite typical Puerto Rican bakery and headed to the expo.  They switched me to the half marathon, gave me everything I needed, and I went shopping at the expo.  It's a very small expo but they always have great visors and headbands, which I use 24/7.  After the expo, we drove around Old San Juan and drove the new race route, which was harder than last year.  One positive, though: for the first time in probably forever, Puerto Rico's weather was milder than Miami, so we were only getting a high of 88F and a dewpoint of 70F with a start in 75F and a dewpoint of 75F.  Much better than last year and better than what Miami has been getting so we felt we didn't have much to worry.

After our drive, we met my inlaws for lunch at one of the typical restaurants in Old San Juan.  We had a blast.  After our goodbyes, we headed to the pool for some relaxation and later met my dad for dinner at our favorite pizza place.  We went to bed at 10am and woke up at 3:30am for the race, as the last shuttle left the parking area at 4:30am.  We barely made it with the traffic (even though we were 2 miles away--this is typical Puerto Rican traffic).

The race started late due to an activity at the Convention Center which was still ongoing (Puerto Rico does know how to party) and they couldn't close the road until those people had left the Center.  Start time was 5am, we started at 5:21am.  Not bad except the Blondie was coming out soon and we wanted to be well ahead of the Blondie by the time it became a race in the surface of the sun.  We were not successful, ha.

If it was hilly last year, it was harder now.  The route starts at El Escambron and run on a slight uphill towards Old San Juan.  We pass the Capitol which is gorgeous at night:

We go up one of the worst hills in Old San Juan (they measure it at more than 18% but this picture does not do it justice), the uphill near the Fort San Cristobal, pictured here (not my pictures).  Of course, being Mile 2 of the race, we walked this:

Then, we head to El Morro and La Puerta de San Juan (also not my pictures):

But before we headed towards El Morro, we turned left and headed towards La Puerta de San Juan.  Sad that all this was in the dark.  Although Old San Juan is also gorgeous at night, running during the day would have been great as well.

We ran on the path circling the old wall protecting San Juan from pirates and other dangers and entered back into Old San Juan to head back towards downtown San Juan:

After we headed towards Downtown San Juan, also hilly but manageable, we started remembering places we used to go out, study, work, etc.  When we reached the Calle San Diego, where our hotel was, we went on a huge downhill and I lost my husband.  He smoked me there (I was more conservative going down the huge hill).  We met at the water station and headed towards Isla Verde and Condado to return to Old San Juan for the last stretch.

This is the Convention Center at night, we ran by it during the day, but still gorgeous (my picture):

After Condado, which is one of the main tourist hotel areas in San Juan, we crossed the Puente Dos Hermanos and headed back to the Capitol area and Old San Juan. The bridge looks better today but this is the only picture I was able to find and it's probably 20 years old since there are only a bunch of hotels there instead of 100.

We crossed the bridge at around Mile 10 and started the uphill towards the back of the Capitol, when we hear the police coming in.  The marathon winners were coming to pass us.  The three elite males looked like they were going out for a nice stroll (this is an official event pictureSmile

This is them crossing the Teodoro Moscoso Bridge (it's close to 3 miles long) which is part of the marathon course but not of the half.

We applauded them and they soon disappeared from our view.  The last two miles are uphill (gradual 4%) to a downhill towards the Sixto Escobar Park where the finish line was located.  We headed there, got our names mentioned as we headed towards the finish and finished.

Here is us post race (I am wearing one of the event visors):

Hubby was afraid his shins would act up because he has been suffering from shin splints on and off for the last two months but he did the race without issue.  Me?  I didn't even feel a thing.  I have noticed that since removing what needed to be removed, I have not had issues with my leg mechanics at my husband's pace.  I should know more when I start racing at my pace.

We had a blast.  I don't think I'll do this marathon often.  After all, we saw the marathoners pass us by the hotel when it was already 90F and super sunny and humid and instead of jealousy I felt glad I was not doing it.  I will run this race every year with hubby and keep it as a family visit, with me doing the marathon when I feel I need my fix of a marathon that will make me miss Miami weather.

Today was my last surgery follow up.  I have been cleared for everything and basically my recovery has ended.  The doctor is not surprised I ran a half marathon yesterday since, as he puts it, this surgery's recovery is speedy.

I am glad to be back!

ETA:

Some additional pics from the race.  We are waiting for the final set to purchase some.  These two caught my eye:

Of course, I chicked him again:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

It looks like a gorgeous island, Damaris. The pictures are really beautiful. I'm glad that your recovery went so well and that you are back to running. And so happy that you were able to enjoy some fun time with your husband! Congratulations to both of you!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That is freakin' redonkulous, D.  5 weeks post-surgery & you run an HM.  Heck, that makes MY insides hurt & I didn't have surgery. 

I don't like hills so wouldn't enjoy mile 2 that much but the rest looks/sounds like it is totally beautiful!!

Congrats!!

Randy

outoftheblue

What a beautiful course -- and I'm sure you were able to enjoy it more this year than during last years sweltering marathon.   It's wonderful that your recovery has gone so well and you are back to racing.   Congrats to you and Mr. Docket!

Life is good.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I was surprised when I saw this. Amazing that you're healing so quickly and starting your comeback with a HM already, and a hilly one at that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Zelanie

So happy for you that you're back in action already!  That looks like a lovely route.

I'm glad that you're able to run at hubby's pace without messing up your stride too badly since the surgery.  Looking forward to hearing more about your great running year!

RSX

Great scenery. Congrats D.

#artbydmcbride

Great job!

Runners run

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wow! Old San Juan is so beautiful.  BTW, has your husband lost weight or perhaps fitter since the last time you posted photos of you guys?  You both look great!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

He has lost weight, yes!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Aside from the one big hill, it looks like a lovely place to race.  I remember your report from last year, and I can understand not wanting to run 26 miles in that kind of heat and humidity.  Nice to be able to see family and have a race that is purely for fun.  Was your husband happy with his time?

Docket_Rocket

Aside from the one big hill, it looks like a lovely place to race.  I remember your report from last year, and I can understand not wanting to run 26 miles in that kind of heat and humidity.  Nice to be able to see family and have a race that is purely for fun.  Was your husband happy with his time?

He was.  He barely had time to run 11 miles one time and the rest were 5-8 milers without consistency, so being able to finish faster than the one he did in December while in peak health made him happy.  He is still far off his PR from November but healthier is better.  Especially since he wants to do 12 half marathons in 12 months.  I wonder who gave him that idea. 

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hmmm....this race might just fit in with a cruise !!!

Docket_Rocket

Hmmm....this race might just fit in with a cruise !!!

It does. 

Damaris

Fundraising Page