Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 20 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 outside this afternoon. 16 day streak going but not sure why  Sad

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' Jerry!  16 day streak - no shame in that.

Me - I need to get back in the habit of checking in here daily.  January was a great month - solid building the base back.  Actually started back in October just walking, etc.  This past Monday I started W3 of C25k.  Tuesday was an unplanned day off.  Yesterday 4 mile walk.  Planning W3D2 of C25k tonight.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'll try to do something outside later once it is sunny.  I've been in a real running rut because I was sick most of December and then again for the end of January.  I need to dig myself out of it and just gain some consistency.  It has even made me question whether or not to try for marathon #2 in the fall.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very nice run/walk yesterday evening in San Antonio after work.   4:30 pm., sunshine, 62 degrees - but a pretty darn good wind blowing making it feel a tad chillier.  Even so, still nice enough to just be in shorts and a running shirt with no base layer, sweet.  Ended up with 4.5 miles and 7 hills along the way.

We have crazy weather here in South Texas...one morning it's warm and then next - like this morning - we're down into the 30s, sheesh. But by this afternoon we will be back in the 60s.   That's why every 'winter' we have, there are people always walking around coughing, sniffling, etc., Mother Nature can't make up her darn mind around here from day-to-day, never stays consistent throughout the whole season.  Even so, we have pretty good winters compared to most of the country so I'll take it.   Nice easy run after work today on soft surface - probably a flat trail run - give my legs a break after all those hills last night.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates at lunch and not sure how many miles will I run before my tired lungs quit.  They sure are tired of coughing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'll try to do something outside later once it is sunny.  I've been in a real running rut because I was sick most of December and then again for the end of January.  I need to dig myself out of it and just gain some consistency.  It has even made me question whether or not to try for marathon #2 in the fall.

Don't let The  Runoriginals down, Jill Smile

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Don't let The  Runoriginals down, Jill Smile

Ahh I've been the worst captain lately.  I won't make my miles this week either and then I'll be in Iceland over the next two weeks.  I bought Yaktrax and a headlamp but I'm still nervous for running in Iceland.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I see when someone ELSE starts the thread, y'all are all chatty!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was quite good -- we have a gig on Feb 15th, but it's for an assisted living facility.  They asked for no love songs, since at that age there are more people who have lost loved ones than who are still starry-eyed with someone ... but most of our repertoire is love songs.  So we're basically going to do a "music through the ages" thing, and leave out the sappier stuff.  Chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your outside 3!!

N-Bug -- yes, you need to come here more often!!  Have fun with W3D2!!

Jill -- hope things turn around for you, runningwise!!

Scotty -- Sounds like a nice run!!  Enjoy the easy one today!!

Docket -- DH made me a mix of brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, and whiskey.  I sipped on it constantly for the month or so that I was sick.  Not enough to impair reflexes or anything, but a swallow every few hours helped with the cough.

Anybody have superbowl plans?  We usually head over to friends' house, since they have two HUMONGOUS televisions (60-inch?  72?).  They make pecan-crusted chicken, and we usually take dessert of some kind.  This year I'm going to tackle rum cream pies!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Anybody have superbowl plans?  We usually head over to friends' house, since they have two HUMONGOUS televisions (60-inch?  72?).  They make pecan-crusted chicken, and we usually take dessert of some kind.  This year I'm going to tackle rum cream pies!

I might be celebrating chinese new year on superbowl sunday =P  So no superbowl plans, but plans for that day.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, nice streaking.

Jill, don't be discouraged!  I know it sucks being sick, but you'll pick it up again.  I believe in you.

Hopesmom, your superbowl party sounds yummy and fun.  I am easy-running a HM that morning, then my hubby will take me out later to our favorite burger joint where they have TVs with the super bowl AND the puppy bowl showing. I'm going to make sure they seat me where I can watch the puppy bowl. Big grin

6.5 done this morning.

Wandering Wally

No running happened last night. I was not feeling well, so went to bed early. Much better today.

Vance - Welcome back!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Zelanie

Jill, I felt like I was really in a run through December and most of January. But I just tried to focus on being consistent and finished the month feeling pretty good. But it's not like I had the one aha moment where it all came back really.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.9 and sub 10:00 pace so we must have been really cold today.  Never happened before but the low bright sun was strobing through the trees and really getting us out of sync, almost felt faint.  So we did skip the last leg of the run on the bike path.  Anyone else have this happen ?

Philliefan33

Take your hubby with you. PR or ER needs him.

4+ for me outside. I didn't finish until 5:30, but it was still light outside. Woo Hoo!

Tomorrow I'm driving to Fredericksburg to spend the weekend with DH, who is there on business. So far our Superbowl plans are to buy some snacks and watch in the hotel, but I hope to find a party to attend. Maybe even just get all the contractors there working with DH to meet in the hotel lobby and watch together?