Beginners and Beyond

Mystery Mileage Monday Penguins (Read 15 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Now that I've learned that logs go on lock down during mileage game playoffs, my mileages will be oh so mysterious during playoffs ;-)  Not really though because I'm in (first) marathon taper mode so I won't be contributing much.  Between that and getting LASIK tomorrow my mysterious miles will be low.

5ish? Today.  My legs are feeling okay so far today so I'll do what I can.  I'll definitely be taking of Wednesday and possibly Thursday as well depending on how I feel post LASIK.  I'm nervous and excited about too many things right now.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Well, LAST week's mileage is no longer a mystery for most of us now. Smile  I ran 61.1 miles last week.  Today, I have work and then a fancy work dinner in Portland afterwards.  Hopefully we will have something yummy- we're going to a place I would never go on my own dime!

sapf- That's exciting about the Lasik!  Sounds awesome!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates tonight.  Not sure if I'll get to run because I've been coughing like a mother since I got to the office and this is only Monday so I assume I'll be in the hospital by Friday at the pace the construction is going.  Grrrr.

Anyway, sapf, good luck with the LASIK.  I loved mine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Wow, can't believe it's miles game playoff time already!  Though it was always kind of a bummer when your team got eliminated early and you're just sitting around watching the fun.  Anyway, I didn't do much walking this weekend, because I tried another bike ride!  It's been about a month since I've been on the bike, and it was surprisingly not as nerve-wracking as it's been in the past.  I actually managed to turn, and made multiple circuits of the yard in both directions, and pretty much the only downside of the afternoon was that I have no quad muscles (clearly the squats aren't working!) and I stepped in dog poo.  I think next weekend I will graduate to the road, since our neighborhood is nice and quiet, and if that goes well, I will declare that I can ride a bike!

sapf -- Good luck with your 5ish and LASIK tomorrow!!

Zelanie -- have fun at the fancy dinner!!

Damaris -- have fun at Pilates, and good luck breathing!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jill - good luck with your surgery.  Perhaps you can do some long walks in the day or two after, or stationary bike?

Z - congratulations on the big mileage week.  I remember that you really go all out when the competition gets close to the end.

HopesMom - Way to go with the bike riding!  I think you'll find riding on the street is easier than on dirt.  I wish I could get DH to learn how to ride a bike, but he has no interest.

D - sorry the asthma is worse.  Good luck with Pilates later.

AFM:  I'll do 6 or so recovery miles later.

Philliefan33

Nice crisp 35 degree run this morning on the leaf-covered roads. I did just 2.3 miles, to ease my legs back into running on consecutive days. Later I'm going for a "hike" (really just a short walk in the woods) with my neighbor.  It's just 1.5 miles on a very forgiving trail, but the neighbor will be stretching her limits to do it.  She's in her 60's and overweight, but trying to be more active and lose weight. I do what I can to encourage her efforts. It's a nice walk and we will take artsy photos of the waterfall at the turn-around point.

sapf -- I think you will be amazed after the LASIK. My daughter had both eyes done at once a few years ago, and could see perfectly the next day

DR -  keep breathing!

Zel. -- great mileage last week!  You did more last week thank I have done in the last 30 days.

HsM - I'm late to the conversation. Are you learning to ride a bike for the first time?  It takes  guts to do that as an adult. We don't bounce as well as kids.

Go Eagles!  (Said with my heart. My head knows that the Giants will probably win).

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - I'm late to the conversation. Are you learning to ride a bike for the first time?  It takes  guts to do that as an adult. We don't bounce as well as kids.

Yep, first-timer.  I twisted my ankle on my first try, but nothing major after that.  But I've stuck to the back yard, where bouncing is a little easier than on asphalt!  But I haven't fallen over the past few times, so I think I'll be ok on the road next week.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

I felt peer pressured to lock down my log D: Not from my team, just from seeing how many of you did it! I can still see the little icon though, is that just because I have access to my own log or did I do it wrong?

Looking at the forecast I feel like a dummy for doing my track workout on the coldest day of the week - should have put it off until tomorrow morning! High 20s and pitch black when I left the house, I really need to put batteries in my headlamp when I get home. Kinda stiff anyway and the cold didn't help me out at all - 8 miles with 3x1600 in 7:34, 7:27, 7:26. Was hoping to get a little closer to 5K pace, but the effort was there so I guess it was still a good workout!

Singer who runs a smidge

I can't see your log, so I think you're ok.  I left mine open, because I know people will be so intimidated by my massive mileage!! 

PADRunner

Morning. Maybe a RD maybe not...

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning. Maybe a RD maybe not...

I vote;  RD and reset

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill - good luck with your surgery.  Perhaps you can do some long walks in the day or two after, or stationary bike?

Oh yeah I always walk a lot as a product of being an urban dweller without a car. The dog also makes me walk too Smile my husband has agreed to walk her tomorrow evening after the surgery because I'm supposed to take a sleeping pill and go to sleep immediately afterwards.

hog4life

Jill, last year in the mileage game I never moved my log to private. If someone needed to be that sneaky on my miles, so be it. It's just a game! Oh, and our teamed kicked ass and won by a landslide. This year we finished last...it's just a game! The real accountability is to yourself, although it is a little fun while being challenging.

Dang my legs are sore, especially after the long car ride back to Bama. I'll work on a RR tomorrow.