Beginners and Beyond

Weirdest Track Championship Results I've Ever Seen (Read 45 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From the IAAF website coverage of the NACAC meet in Costa Rica:

In a modest and rather bizarre men’s pole vault final, El Salvador’s 17-year-old Natan Rivera was the only one of the six competitors to clear a height and emerged as the unheralded winner.

Rivera, who his country sadly didn’t even send to last month’s IAAF World Youth Championships, was the lowest ranked vaulter in the field and arrived in San Jose with a best set earlier this season of 4.67m. The teenager presumably was expecting just to witness a masterclass from the likes of USA’s 2007 world champion Brad Walker, a man who holds the area record with 6.04m, and Cuba’s Lazaro Borges, the 2011 world championships silver medallist, and had no realistic medal ambitions.

Rivera entered at the competition’s opening height of 4.55m and went over first time before clearing a personal best of 4.70m on his second attempt.

His competition came to an end after three failures at 4.85m but Walker, Borges and USA’s Nick Mossberg were still to start vaulting.

However, none of the trio mastered the swirling, breezy conditions and, with the bar well over five metres, all three failed their opening heights to leave Rivera as the totally unexpected gold medallist – and the only man standing on the podium when the medals were distributed.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

It all depends on who shows up to the event! anything can happen.  (though it usually doesn't go that far off)

Docket_Rocket

His dream come true.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

The other guys probably though they could do 5+ meters with their eyes closed, when they should have started with 4.75, doh.

Mmmmm...beer

Good for him!  Any given Sunday/race day/championship. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!