Beginners and Beyond

Magill on Mistakes (Part 1) (Read 451 times)

MrNamtor

Meh... too much dissecting of everything. Running shouldn't be like engineering for people like you and myself. I know dick about methods and I race like a dumb-ass and I still get a 73% age-graded score and cross the finish line with a huge grin on my face. Why? Because I know how to challenge my body without getting it hurt. That's all. That's all I need to know. Try beating that with all your methods...

I share some of the feelings you express here, and in general, reading your other posts I very often feel a true affinity for your viewpoint. You're also one of the role models I have found on the forum.

Like you I'm a natural athlete, very tuned in to my body, and I know when to push it and when not to push it. That's why i make progress and I don't get injured.(Well, except for 7-8 broken bones over the period of my life, but that's another story)

And like you, I am happy with where I'm at, not to mention THANKFUL for it. Really and truly, I thank my genetics and the good fortune bestowed upon me by God or whoever bestows things like that upon people if it is in fact bestowed.

BUT, does that mean I couldn't improve with methodology? Especially when that would often mean putting in the same effort but training differently?  I'm not going to be one of these people who takes out a calculator and measures everything whenever they run. But I'm open to things that might make me faster and stronger. You know, like why not?

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I don't necessarily think that adding speedwork and building mileage have to be mutually exclusive as a few folks may have alluded to. My speed workouts frequently add up to about 7 miles for the day--I do about a 2 mile warm up, same for cool down, the actual intervals equal out to around 5K, plus the jogging rest periods (hey, I'm still running and moving faster than a walk, so it counts toward the daily mileage). I do agree with the original post wholeheartedly. I'm not one to follow any certain plan and I'm sure many folks do pretty well even committing some of these mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're maximizing your potential. And that's fine! But if people are looking to improve and finding themselves stalled, I definitely agree these mistakes are often a culprit for someone's stagnation.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Love the Half

I don't necessarily think that adding speedwork and building mileage have to be mutually exclusive as a few folks may have alluded to. My speed workouts frequently add up to about 7 miles for the day--I do about a 2 mile warm up, same for cool down, the actual intervals equal out to around 5K, plus the jogging rest periods (hey, I'm still running and moving faster than a walk, so it counts toward the daily mileage). I do agree with the original post wholeheartedly. I'm not one to follow any certain plan and I'm sure many folks do pretty well even committing some of these mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're maximizing your potential. And that's fine! But if people are looking to improve and finding themselves stalled, I definitely agree these mistakes are often a culprit for someone's stagnation.

Magill generally isn't writing for rank beginners or those folks who are on that 18-24 month rapid improvement curve experienced when you first start running.  His audience is generally more experienced runners who are trying to maximize their performance.  Once you get beyond that rapid improvement stage, your training has to become more deliberate if you want to continue improving

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Magill generally isn't writing for rank beginners or those folks who are on that 18-24 month rapid improvement curve experienced when you first start running.  His audience is generally more experienced runners who are trying to maximize their performance.  Once you get beyond that rapid improvement stage, your training has to become more deliberate if you want to continue improving

That still doesn't make adding speedwork and building mileage mutually exclusive. It means a slightly modified approach to both, but it can still be done on a deliberate training program.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

That still doesn't make adding speedwork and building mileage mutually exclusive. It means a slightly modified approach to both, but it can still be done on a deliberate training program.

Agreed.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).