Beginners and Beyond

Fremescent Friday Penguins (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fremescent:  growling or muttering

Hey, it's Friday already somewhere, right?  So the thread starts very early today.   Watching the local news and at the university where I work some folks are already fremescent, as they are out late setting up for the FLOTUS visit tomorrow at the campus....security stations being put up, buildings being inspected, so forth.  I am glad my office is just  a little ways off campus.. I am going to avoid all that mess tomorrow like the plague.

Nice run/walk after work on Thursday evening. I was going to the park by the Zoo but heard on the radio there was an accident on the route down there and traffic was all snarled up, so went to another park instead.  Nice off-road trails both paved and natural, no traffic to deal with.  Weather was 74 degrees, low humidity and dewpoint so there were quite a few folks out in the park enjoying the day. And dogs too, as there is a dog park inside this park. Lots of folks walking, running, cycling, picnicking, grilling.   I ended up with 3.8 miles.  As I finished, there were some folks grilling sausages at one of the picnic table areas and I commented "That smells really good."   One of the grillers asked "You want a sausage?"    I'm not one to turn down free food, lol.   So I got a sausage and as I sat down to munch it, another guy said "We have some cold beer on ice too."  Hell yeah!  So a good run/walk and for my cool-down I scored from some friendly folks a delicious kiolbassa grilled sausage and a cold beer, nice way to finish up!

Today is a non-run day.  Will be going downtown after work to pick up my packet for my 5K event tomorrow morning. Hope my knee behaves. My right knee has been a little wonky lately but for some reason it does not bother me when I run, only afterwards.  I don't think it's a meniscus problem - I've had that before and know what that feels like - I think it's just my arthritis in there flaring up.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow, Scotty. I will never call you late for dinner.  Since you got us started I can say that I ran 8 miles at an 8:41 pace tonight (Thursday). Today (Friday) I might go out and do a little two miles to stay loose for my 20 mile run Saturday morning. It has been so hot here that even two miles may be difficult. We'll see. Have a good night, I mean, have a good day and a better weekend.

Bin Running

Scotty, thanks for starting us early..

Jack, 20M?! Is it a race?

5.5M done in the Morning.. Running has been patchy.. Difficult to maintain a mileage I like. Well, I will run whenever I can.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - It's good to avoid that mess.  I think some people got excited the first time the Prez came to town.  They quickly realized that there is nothing exciting about it.

Jack - Good morning.  I'll be thinking about your 20 mile run while I add more hickory to the smoker and grab a fresh beer.

Bin - Sometimes thats the best we can do.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jack, it that running pot plant?   Gotta love California!   Good luck with the 20M tomorrow.  With your weather, maybe you better start at midnight.

Good luck with your running, Bin, and getting it in when you can.

Beer and grilling sounds great, Awood.  I enjoyed that yesterday. 

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone--  although from the looks of it, Awood is probably the only one really here this morning since Scotty and Jack were posting last night?

I'm working from home today.  I love doing this occasionally -- I've been working for two hours and I'm still in my pajamas.  I'm not lazy, I'm just being efficient with my showering and conserving water.  If I don't get dressed until I go for a run later this morning, there will only be one shower today instead of my usual two.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

I think I'll do about 4-5 miles today, then take tomorrow as a RD.   I'm running a 10-mile race on Sunday, but I am not in good enough condition to race it.  I'll still run it, but approach it more like a LR with water stops and lots of people.  If I wasn't already registered, I wouldn't even push my LR to ten miles this weekend, I'd keep it in the 8-9 range.  It's only an extra mile.  I plan to take it easy, walk a bit if I need to, and not get mad if I finish DFL.  I know I can do the first two, I'm not so sure about the third.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5-6 recovery miles tonight.

Scotty, man, you woke up super early today.

Jack, hope you stay loose.  Is the weather for those 20 still Miami-esque.  Just channel your inner Docket, you can do it!

Bin, how has everything been?  Busy?

Awood, morning!

Phillie, enjoy your miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Phillie, I think you will do just fine.

Scotty, are they running with you?

Awood, the smoker and beer sounds like a relaxing day.

Jack, have fun on the 20.

I did a total of 12.2 yesterday, first 8.25 was 8:54 pace with a few miles in the low 8's. Then finished it off with some 10:30 paced miles with the NOBO class. I had my GS with me, so I ran round and round on a 1/3 mile track, maybe 21 laps. Hope I don't have to do that again real soon. Today will be an easy 3 and packet pickup for me and Bella's 8k on Saturday. My son got one of the videos done with me running, but I can't load it from work, so I will do it tonight. It looks neat!

hog4life

Hi Damaris, you snuck in.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Weekend  !!!

Scotty, nice going getting the sausage and beer on a run.  Enjoy your RD, hope the knee is better.

Jack, have a nice 2 and 20 tomorrow.

Bin, good to get the 5 in anyway.

Awood, hi ya !!!

Margo, enjoy the WAH day.  That sure helps to get a run in.

DR, sounds like you are not WAH.

I will try another 2 miles  later.  Knee is good.  I am NWAH.  Looking forward to watching the Blackhawks tonight on the new flat panel.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Mitch.  Hope you are done with the storms.  Good luck with the 8K tomorrow.  Woof !!!

Bin Running

Damaris, I'm good. Busy with life and children. Still running though.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Good Morning and Happy Weekend  !!!

Scotty, nice going getting the sausage and beer on a run.  Enjoy your RD, hope the knee is better.

Jack, have a nice 2 and 20 tomorrow.

Bin, good to get the 5 in anyway.

Awood, hi ya !!!

Margo, enjoy the WAH day.  That sure helps to get a run in.

DR, sounds like you are not WAH.

I will try another 2 miles  later.  Knee is good.  I am NWAH.  Looking forward to watching the Blackhawks tonight on the new flat panel.

I am only allowed to WAH one time a week and if the boss could take it away, he would.  No idea why he thinks we need to be here in person.  I actually do more from home than here with constant interruptions and donuts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning all. 4 miles this morning in the sunny blue sky  @ 50-55 degrees.

Has RA been slow recently or is it just me?