Beginners and Beyond

Hey Friday Penguins - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing! (Read 34 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguin World!

I have that song in my head and I haven't heard it in decades. It was in a Coca Cola commercial when I was a kid. Ahh, peace, love, and bell bottom pants!

Ran 4.15 easy miles yesterday. I am going to do my long run tonight instead of tomorrow morning. These past few days I have been feeling great physically and my training is going well. This is where it gets "scary". In the past when I have felt this way I wind up with some type of injury after a long run. So in a way I feel bad about feeling good.

But today I feel good about Friday!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  2 miles and weights tonight.  Off to try to medicate Trixie and then court.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gustav....

Yeah, I remember that commercial too...all those people on that grassy hill.  Congrats on your 4 miles yesterday, good luck with your miles today.  Hope you stay injury free!

Good luck in court, Damaris!

I went to Lackland Air Force Base yesterday.   Ended up with 3.5 miles done and going up and down a couple of the pedestrian highway overpasses for a bit of "hill' work.  Cloudy day, but nice, at 75 degrees.  Very humid.  Yet the rain still won't come and give us some drought relief.    Today is a rest day.   Picking up my packet today for my 8K tomorrow morning.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I'm sorry buddy, but you can't teach this guy to sing.  I've been ask to be quiet during, "Happy Birthday".  Don't let your good feeling / bad injury thing become a self-fulfilling prophecy buddy.  You're going to be fine.

Damaris - Glad the cat is doing better.  Lift some weights for me.

Scotty - Enjoy your rest day.  I'm debating whether or not to join you in resting.

AFM - Yesterday's run was shorter that I had planned.  I was going to run with P3, but she had to cut it short.  She's having some sort of tightness in the front lower part of her leg, just above the ankles.  She was having some of these issues before her 10K, but she rested and managed to not have any issues during the race.  Hopefully, we can get this figured out soon.  I went out, and finished my run and she followed me on a bike, but I only went 4.5 miles.  So, I'm debating whether I should run a few today, which would usually be a rest day for me or just take it as a little extra rest after a HM last weekend.  Who knows.  I have a lot that I'd like to get done today.  I might just take the day off.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Gustav, I remembered that commercial. Somehow I linked it to Christmas. Hope the good feeling will not bring anything else.

Damaris, enjoy 2M and court later.

Scotty, 8k is a little unusual. It is An auto PR?

Awood, hope P3 tighten is just nothing. Maybe shin splints?

Last run done before HM. 4M recovery done and went to dip in the pool with DS a bit.

To keep myself accountable to the colony. I am going to state my goal.

1. Sub 1:55

2. 1:50

3. Super secret goal. And there is a pace grp running at this pace but I have no idea what is their strategy.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - You can crush that goal if you don't forget your headband.  Rock the headband, and you'll do awesome!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Bin, good luck!  Just go out there and run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Bin, good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Scotty, I like the 8k distance. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was the distance of my very first race.

Awood, I sure hope it's not shin splints.

Gustav, take it easy, okay? No more set backs.

Damaris, good luck in court.

RD for me, sitting in the dr office(surgeon) for my 6 month post op checkup, Then home to sleep. I have ,another 12 shift tonight, then I will hurry home and try to make it to the race on time. There will be an FE with Jimmy, friends/family, and rivercityrunner(From Miles Game). Will probably spend the day there as we plan to go eat with Jimmy.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Mitch, awood, Damaris, Gus, Bin, and Scott.  Last LR coming up.   72F forecast for 4/7.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I brought my gear in for a swim today, but that will depend on whether I get all this work stuff pushed out to the right person on time, which is dependent on other folks getting stuff to me on time.  Life is never dull!!  Then I'm making a lime mousse cheesecake tonight, and my folks will be here late tonight to spend Easter with me and DH!  So it'll be a full weekend, but a really good one.

Gustav -- Our Sweet Adelines region did that song at music camp last year.  All I could think of was, "This is a Coke commercial, people!!"

Docket -- sounds like life is getting back to normal!

Scotty -- sorry it's gotten so humid there!  We're still not in springtime -- the Bradford pears are thinking about blooming, but haven't gotten there yet.

Awood -- enjoy, whatever you decide!!  Sounds like you need to give P3 a nice leg rub with some good massage oil ...

Bin -- good luck on your half!!  Love the ninja goal ...

hog -- hope your checkup goes well, and have fun this weekend!!

Jerryb -- have a good LR!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I saw a FB thing this morning:
                          Look out, the zombies are attacking!!  Look to your left, and the first thing you see is your weapon!

So what are you going to be killing zombies with?

As for me, I will be killing them with a notebook and a cleaner cloth for my eyeglasses.  I can tell there will be serious zombie carnage.

So what about you?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: Thanks a lot... now that song is stuck in my head, as well!

Docket: Good luck in court. Nail 'em!!

Scotty: Sounds like a nice run.  Have fun in the 8k. Since it is 3k longer than your usual, can we expect 60% more pictures? Wink

Awood: A few easy miles won't hurt.

Bin: Best of luck to you, mate. Will the headband be on full display? I hope you can get 1:50, if not your secret goal.

Hog: Try to get a few pictures of your race and FE with JBJ. Remember to avoid the fried pickles!

Jerry: That sounds like a perfect day for a long run. Enjoy.

HM: I will be on the lookout... enjoy the family time.

As for me, I like being on vacation! I am taking older DD to school and then going for an easy run of 45 minutes. After that I am going to REI to use my Christmas gift card and dividend check. Free stuff is nice!!  DD has another track meet tomorrow and she is running the 1600 and 3200. In between her events, which are the first and last of the meet, DW are going for an 11 mile run. I have truly come to loathe track meets... XC meets are great, track meets not so much.

Have a nice Good Friday.

GinnyinPA

Bin - good luck on your race.  I hope you nail your secret goal.

Scotty - Have fun at your 8k.  Have you raced that distance before?  Not much different from a 5M.

Damaris - hope court went well this a.m. and that Trixie's recovery continues.

Gustav - just what I needed, another earworm.  I had a song stuck in my head this week for two days.  Now i'll have another.  Enjoy your long run.  And no, you will not get injured.

Awood - I hope P3 is just suffering some light tendonitis, which will soon go away.  Rest for both of you.

Mitch - I hope the doctor tells you all is well.  Given how well you've been running, it's most likely, but still it's nice to hear.

Jack - enjoy your long run.  I don't envy you your many meets and races.  Sitting on the sidelines cheering isn't as much fun as actually doing them.  But you're a good papa to do it so much.

Jerry - enjoy your last long run.  Will 72 seem hot for your race, or are you used to that warmth?

Hopesmom - I hope you get a chance to swim today.  As much time as you're spending singing, doing something purely physical will probably feel good.  That cheesecake sounds scrumptious.

AFM - another gray day, but warmer than it has been, so I'll get out this afternoon and run some hills.  My race next week has two fairly big ones - one long, so likely easy, the other short so probably steep.  If I have time, I'll head down to Greencastle and drive the course this week.  Forecast for the 6th is rain, but I don't take forecasts that far in advance very seriously.  One site says rain, the other says the rain will happen Friday and Sunday.  We'll see.

tracilynn

"Ear worm" I've never heard that term but that's funny.

Bin, my phone just auto corrected you to "bun" haha good luck with your secret goal

I think they did release that song at Christmas with polar bears singing it.

Mitch, have fun down south enjoy the FE

Im running something tonight 1.1 mile plus whatever run/walk interval after that.

~~~~~~~

Traci