Beginners and Beyond

Slushy Weekend Penguins (Read 24 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Here in the NYC we are a slush filled mess.  Several inches of snow fell over night which it is now raining on.  Needless to say, today isn't a running day for me.  I'm going to do some stationary biking and yoga and just try to stretch my body out a bit before my half tomorrow.

Tonight I'm heading to NJ for a college friend's 30th birthday party.  I'm hoping to be home by 1am so I can get at least a little bit of sleep tonight before the half tomorrow.  I think I'll probably have one drink at the party before switching to seltzer because I don't feel like dealing with all of the "why aren't you drinking" questions.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Sapf, good luck tomorrow. I hope the conditions aren't too bad for your race.

Headed out for 8 this morning on tired legs. I have been pushing to try to get my mileage up to above 40mpw, but I'm afraid I might have reached my level of competence for now. I have been in the mid 30s and just don't think I can do more right now. Disappointing since I have a marathon in 7 weeks. Sad

tracilynn

Good luck tomorrow sapf!  Good idea about switching over to seltzer.

Brill- take a little break this week and maybe you'll make  the 40s next week.

I coughed alllll night last night. I'm so over this crud. Ugh. URD for me. We were supposed to get 1/2" of snow (a big deal here in AL) and we didn't.   BOOOO

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Super humid and windy today, which is making me cough 24/7.  Tonight, we are getting a cold front so my coughing should get better as the 70s dewpoints go down.  5 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

URD. IT band seems fine but there is now a ton of snow on the ground and I don't want the extra effort of slogging through snow to make it flare up again. Just foam and lacrosse ball rolling all weekend, will try again on Monday.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck with the HM tomorrow.  Don't stay out too late.

Have a nice 8, Brill.

Feel better, Traci. I think that is going around our team.

Enjoy the cold front, D.

Good idea to rest, Lauren.

5 on the streets for us.  Didn't need the hat, or the gloves, or the arm sleeves, or the long socks, or the long tights.  Snow is on the way for tonight.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Brilliant: If you have any questions, post them here. There is a lot of experience in this group, Penguins or not. You will be fine.

4 super easy this morning and now it's time to shop. 15 on tap for tomorrow. I'm trying to convince DD1 to ride her bike along and sherpa for me.

PADRunner

Hope everyone sick gets to feeling better! STAY AWAY FROM ME!

Good luckin your HM tomorrow sapf.

6 for me this afternoon. I waited for it to warmup a little and had a clear blue sky to run in.

Zelanie

All of a sudden I feel great.  I've felt great all week, actually.  A couple of weeks ago, I could barely drag myself through my runs.  I was tired, sore, and stuff hurt.  Now I just feel fantastic.  My easy pace has just dropped back down to pre-marathon training levels at the same (or less) effort, and my resting pulse, which has been mysteriously elevated for the last several months, has also just dropped back down to what it was.  Will it last?  Who knows, but I'll take it as long as it does!

Saph- Good luck at the HM, and I hope you have good footing for it!

Brilliant- I'm sorry that you're still feeling that way at this point  in your training cycle.  Looking at your log, I do have to say that you're at about the same place in your building as I was a few weeks back when I felt my tiredest.  I had a couple higher weeks, a cutback, three high weeks, another cutback, and I just felt tired.  And my feet hurt.  And my legs were sore.  And running wasn't any fun.  And then I turned a corner somehow.  I hope something similar happens for you.  If not, it's still probably better to get to the starting line healthy.

Traci- Boo!  Hope that you get better and get some snow!  We haven't had any this year either, but we had enough last year to last for several years.

D- Hope you have a good run this evening!

Lauren- Hope that the rest does the ignorant band some good.

Jerry- That's too bad that you didn't like Birdman.  Iñárritu is one of my favorite directors.  We haven't seen many of the Oscar nominees, and honestly a lot of them sound really dumb from their descriptions.  Which ones would you recommend?

Jack- Tell DD it's the least she can do after you drove her around for so many years.

PAD- Sounds like a really nice run!

GinnyinPA

sapf - Good luck tomorrow on your race.

Brilliant - can you run a few miles on your rest days?  When I was doing the holiday streak, it was easy to run 40 mpw.

Damaris - I hope your lungs do get better with the cooler weather.

Traci - I hope you get over your cough soon.  It has been a while. Maybe you'll get snow in this next batch of storms?

Lauren - I'm glad the IT is doing better.  Enjoy the restful weekend.

Jerry - I'm glad you had such a nice day.  Good luck with the snow tomorrow.

Jack - enjoy your long run tomorrow.

PAD - nice run.

AFM:  we made it home, through a lot of rain and only a little falling snow. First thing, we had to shovel a couple of inches of snow/ice off the driveway so we could get the truck up the hill.  I had intended to run a few miles on the TM, but after sitting in the car for 8 hours, then shoveling snow and unloading the camper as much as we could before dark, I was done.  It's time to get serious about training for my half in March and full in April, but it's going to be hard doing it in January cold after the lovely weather we had in Florida.

One question:  when the schedule says to do 6 at marathon pace, do you do a one or two mile warm-up first, like you do for a tempo run, or do you just jump into the run at race pace so you have practice at it?

Zelanie

On Hansons, the MP runs always said to do an additional warmup and cooldown for a total of 3 extra miles.

Evening Penguins.

Checking in before tucking in for the night. I've a lower mileage week with a scheduled taper. Feels a little odd. I thought I might sneak in a little, short run in today, but it just didn't happen. Got turned around going to pick up my race packet for tomorrow, grocery shopping, for a lasagna dinner with a houseful of kids and grandkids.

sapf - hope you are having fun tonight. You are brave to be out late before your HM tomorrow. Good luck and anxious to hear how it goes.

Brilliant - I've been enjoying your HM training journey. You'll do great.

Traci - seems like this has been a tough winter on you. I hope you bounce back quickly.

Lauren - sounds like a good plan to not stress your IT band.

Jerry - glad you are enjoying the nice weather before the snow strikes. We are in a very mild strek right now in eastern Kanasa. Actually been very odd with only one minor snow fall so far this winter. Sorta wish we'd get some since we really need the moisture, and I just love it.

Hiya to DR, Jack, Ginny, and PAD!

Zel - enjoy the ride!

Tomorrow morning is my first 10K. The race venue is in another cave location in KC. Nice to know weather won't be an issue, although it will be mid 40's tomorrow. I really have no idea how it will turn out. Lately, I've managed a couple 5 milers around 55:00. I think my A goal is to finish in 66. Guess whatever happens I pull a PR out of the deal. Sweet.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Good luck, Kathleen!

GinnyinPA

Good luck Kathleen.  I like 10ks.  It's a nice distance - not as intense as a 5k, but you don't have to worry about falling apart the last few miles as you might in the longer races.