Beginners and Beyond

Early Morning Tuesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

From yesterday:

Ginny, she must have escaped as my husband left the door open to put the suitcase in the car.  We did not notice and left (she was in our bed 2 minutes prior so we assumed she was still there).  Race was fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Hi folks!  Day 2 of my early mornings this week.  I am hoping to make it back in time to join the group track workout.  There's a group that's training for the local HM, but I don't know what they're running.  I think my friend who is marathon training on Hanson's will be there.  I think she has 600s tonight.  So I may run with her, or the group, or on my own.  Loved the new shoes last night.  Really loved them.  But I am going to take my Kinvaras to the track.  Ginny, they're neutrals, but I did see a graphic of their support, and they're almost into the "stability" range.

SF- Nice streak!

D- Hope that Trixie is doing OK!

PADRunner

Morning, 4 on the tm this morning and group tonight.

tracilynn

Morning penguins!

I have 5x 1000s today. Headed to gym to treadmill it.  My headphones broke last week so it should be especially torturous. 

I did a bunch of squats yesterday and my Booteus Maximus is killing me!   Maybe the run will help.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Traci, go buy headphones!

Jill, from yesterday: yes, you should move to Southern California.  Big grin

Scotty, legs in the RR!

Damaris, I hope all kitties are OK and back to normal.

Zel, glad you liked the shoes!

PAD, a double, way to go!

We have out-of-town company from last night so I'm putting off my run until they leave late this morning.  Then I will run at least 4 (if I'm feeling stiff/sore which I think I might!) or 7 if I feel good.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I ordered a bionic knee brace, possibly from Transformers.  It came in yesterday (which I took off due to the SB aftermath), so I was able to strap it on and go out for a walk with DH and Dusty.  It slid annoyingly down, but felt SO much better than my braceless knee that I'm trying really hard to figure out a way for it to work.  I wore it  to work this morning without the underlying neoprene sleeve, and it didn't seem to slide down, but twisted a little sideways.  I'll try it again for a walk this afternoon.

Docket -- have a good 6 and weights!!

Zelanie -- I'm not fond of early mornings.  I think mornings should start around 10 AM.

PAD -- have a good double!!

traci -- hoping for a happy booty!!

Brilliant -- enjoy the company, and hope you're feeling good by runtime!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crappy weather in San Antonio today...rainy, windy, in the upper 30s right now, high of only 40-something today.  I feel pretty crappy too...I came to work, but I think I may leave early and go for a run and try to sweat some of this stuff out...and then maybe go home and go back to bed for a while.  Gail has some conference today and will be in Houston until tomorrow, so just me and the cats.

Did you get your cat back, Damaris?  Hope Trixie is doing well too.

Glad your new shoes are working for you, Zelanie!

Have fun with the group tonite, PAD.

Hope your workout went well, Traci.  Sorry about your broken headphones.  I have this Sans Disk player thing and I really like it, allows me to put my earbud in just one ear and leave the other - my good ear, lol - open so I can still hear around me.  I liked this thing so much I bought two more and have them in a drawer on reserve just in case something happens to my first one.  I think I actually got mine from Sears or someplace like that..they really don't cost that much at all and the one I have - my original one - has been working well now for me for about 7 years, which I think is pretty good for a cheap little music thingy.

Scotty, legs in the RR!   Thank you, Brilliant!   however, you only said legs...you shoulda said GREAT Legs, which you certainly have........Hubba!  I'd chase those ladies any day!  With yours and your DH's permission, of course ...and, of course, just all in good platonic fun.   That is a great photo of you, you might consider getting that one.  Hope your company does not keep you too long from your run.  If so...then just drag them out to go run with you! 

Glad your brace helps your knee feel better, HsM....at least those times you're able to keep it on.  Umm, just what is a 'bionic' brace?  Can you post a photo of your brace.  As you can see in photos of me in my race reports, I have to wear a brace all the time when I run.  The one I have is very efficient, but I'm curious to see yours.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, it's this one, the DonJoy reaction brace:

Linky

I mean, this thing means business!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, it's this one, the DonJoy reaction brace:

Linky

I mean, this thing means business!!

Wow...that kinda reminds me of something a gladiator would wear in those old-time movies about ancient Rome.  I think I better just keep mine...cuz I tend to fall down quite a bit, and that one you have doesn't seem like it would give much protection for a klutz like me, lol.  Hope it works well for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

8 miles with 10 strides.

Playing hookie today. Don't know why, just cuz. Sometimes I just need to stop, stay still, and sleep. 3 easy miles in once I dragged my lazy butt out of bed. I'm much better now.  Knee feels back to normal, too.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!

Zel - enjoy the group workout

DR - have fun with your 6 and weights.  Glad to hear that you got your little escape artist back.

PAD - nice job doubling

traci - I agree with your sentiments about the TM

Brill - enjoy the 4 or 7.  We'll see about the Southern Cali thing.  I should just convince a bunch of my family to move there together =D

HsM - maybe the brace isn't small enough?  I find that sports things are often made for men and therefore huge for normal sized women.  Maybe double sided tape would do the trick?

Scotty - feel better

Jack - if you can go 8 miles with only 10 strides you must be gigantic ;-)

Kathleen - hooky from what?  work?  don't feel guilty about using your sick days =D

AFM - about to head downstairs for 4.5 miles on the TM.  I registered for the NYCM yesterday so hopefully that helps spur me through (what seems to be) the next several weeks stuck on the TM.  I ordered the Hanson's book - it seems appealing because it caps at 16 miles and maybe seems like something I can manage?  Zel - you used Hanson's right?

In the next few months I'll work on building up my mileage a bit (hopefully to 40ish MPW) and losing some weight.  I am registered for a couple of HMs so that should help me figure out some sort of marathon goal.  Though I think finishing it and getting through training without further injury are my main goals.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Z - early start!  Have fun at the group workout this evening.  Are you still working with the track group at your school?

D - enjoy your weights and recovery miles tonight.  I hope Trixie is doing better.

PAD  - good luck with your double today.

Traci - no tv at the gym?  Maybe stop and get some headphones on the way?

Brilliant - hope you're recovered enough tonight to run the seven.

HopesMom - I hope you figure out the brace.  Sounds like it needs to be tighter, maybe.

Scotty - I hope you're not getting sick.  Good luck with the cold wet run.  Maybe just do weights at the gym, so you sweat but aren't frozen.

Jack - good job on the 8 this morning.

Kathleen - I'm glad your knee is feeling better.  My body does that too - random pains that come and go.  I don't take them too seriously unless they last a while, or stop me from running.  Enjoy your R&R today.

sapf - I'm glad you decided to do the marathon after all, since you did all the races to qualify for it.  One thing I've heard about Hansons is that even though the long runs aren't as long as some, the program is really challenging because you do so many quality workouts.  How good are you at sticking to a rigid schedule?  If your goal is simply to finish, maybe do Higdon Intermediate 1 or 2 or something similar.

AFM:  The schedule calls for four or five miles this afternoon.  It's sunny outside, but only 20 degrees, so I may stay inside.  If it warms up mid-afternoon, I'll go outside.