Beginners and Beyond

Strengthening "stuff" (Read 477 times)

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I discovered yesterday that I am a weenie. I'm taking notes here too. Thanks for starting this thread, Heidi! I bet SRL is right and it might be good to have the other RA folks chime in. It's up to you, of course. Smile

noraW

Part-time Ninja

I tried these with a 35 lb kettlebell.  Damn near separated my shoulder...probably should have stayed with a 5 lb weight.  Those bastards are harder than they look.

Yes but the do wonders for your abs! Where's my abs pic....

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broom, we're flexible like that...

Mmmmm...beer

Another vote for good old fashioned pushups and pullups, that's pretty much all you need for upper body.  Add in running for lower body and you're set. Smile  When I do pushups, I keep my abs tight, so you're doing a plank at the same time.  You pretty much can't help but keep your abs tight when you're doing pullups.  If you can't do a full pullup, start with negatives (get yourself up to the bar on a chair and then let yourself down as slowly as possible, you're working the muscles in reverse), eventually you'll be able to do full pullups.  Same for pushups, start on your knees if you have to, and eventually you can work your way up to full pushups.  Then you can play with hand placement, wide grip, diamonds, etc. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Luke79

Okay...say I wanted to attempt to incorporate pushups, sit-ups, etc into my routine (biking and running).  What's the best approach?  Do some when I get home from the run?  Drop and gimme 20 in the middle of my run?  No hijack intended.

Canuck

If you have an iPhone, there's an app called "you are your own gym" that is great for body-weight exercises.  One of my favorites is one-legged squats down to a chair and then back up. Very challenging. 

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

LRB

Okay...say I wanted to attempt to incorporate pushups, sit-ups, etc into my routine (biking and running).  What's the best approach?  Do some when I get home from the run?  Drop and gimme 20 in the middle of my run?  No hijack intended.

I do pushups on chest day, either a couple of sets after my chest workout with weights, or ten to twelve sets of as many as I can do but always on it's own day.  Same with pull ups, those are done on back day.

No different than anything else, when you are trying to strengthen a weakness, you should probably devote a workout to it.  Which is why the winter is ideal for strength training, because you are usually not running seven days a week during this period.  So it doesn't "get in the way" of running.

kbrks

Luke

-- run, stretch, then do pushups.

in that order

Trail Monster

Squats, lunges, pistol squats, wall sits, sit ups, planks, back extensions/supermans, bicycles, push ups, pull ups, box jumps, burpees, knees to elbows or toes to bar, tricep dips/ring dips, calf raises, bridges/reverse plank, side planks, jump rope, handstands, etc.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Village people

Lots of good suggestions. I row. I feel it mostly in my abs, hamstrings and butt. It is light upperbody work. 

Mmmmm...beer

I do 'em before I run, and then also throughout the day.  I knocked out 150 pushups today at work while reloading systems in the classroom (sets of 25).  I'll do some in the kitchen while I'm waiting on something in the microwave, or during a commercial break if I'm watching tv.  That's the great thing about body weight exercises, you can do them anywhere, anytime. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hip Redux

Same for pushups, start on your knees if you have to, and eventually you can work your way up to full pushups.  Then you can play with hand placement, wide grip, diamonds, etc. 

Actually, I don't recommend the push up- knees thing - it takes the core right out of the equation and it's still usually too big of a jump from knees to full push up for most women - so then you're stuck either with an exercise that's too easy or too hard.

The way I found to be better is to start with a surface that is higher than the floor and move the height down as you get better/stronger - so do push ups against  the wall, then when that's easy against the table, then maybe on a step... and so on, until you can do a full push up on the floor.    You'll be able to increase the difficulty as you get stronger...rather than trying to start on the knees and only have the full push-up as your other option.  And the core stays engaged throughout the series of progressions.

Wow, I guess I had a lot to say about push ups.  lol

runmomto3boys

Great advice here, guys!!!  Thanks. 

Yep - I'll post on the main forum too.  Great idea, SRL!!!  I hope they are nice out there.

I don't even know what a Kettleball is.  I am such a weak stick. 

D2: I'm so random like you are: I just throw in random planks like that too throughout my day.

Banshee: You rule!  I have to look up 1/2 of what you posted to figure out what it is, but thanks for all the ideas!!!!

Zoecat: I have an iPhone - off to look up that app!  Thanks for the tip!!!

noraW

Part-time Ninja

Who needs a kettlebell.... http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Slaughter-turkish-get-up-med.jpg

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broom, we're flexible like that...

Trail Monster

Here you go:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TWvIu7s-vIM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTWvIu7s-vIM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=y-wV4Venusw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dy-wV4Venusw

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cc6UVRS7PW4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcc6UVRS7PW4

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UweKybOuivA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUweKybOuivA

http://vimeo.com/12962329

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yOPkM2pzznc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyOPkM2pzznc

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Nevrgivup

I plan on going to the gym two days a week or doing pilates for core strength once I'm up and running again. I have a pretty good routine of lunges, planks, hamstring curls, chest press, triceps dips. etc. Having a personal trainer was a good investment. Its tough to fit it all in though, and not have it effect your running. You have to watch out for when you do your leg work because your legs will be sore the next day and it would not do you any benefit if you're going to do a hard workout. Nice run on sentence. LOL. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.