Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins are rooting for Jack and Cherie! (Read 42 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Cold cold cold here!

I guess we are in the igloo, though.  Go Jack!  Go Cherie!

Loved the photo yesterday.  Jack is tall!

obiebyke

Whoa, Z! In Oregon?! Stay warm.

Go Jack and Cherie, go! At least we know it's not -2 where they are.

RD for me today.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

LRB

Supp Pens!

Just dropping in to wish Cherie and Jack and any other racers here well!

tracilynn

Neg 2 burrrr!

enjoy your rest day Obie.

I wanted to run 4 today but gonna rest my right calf.  Still sore but much better than yesterday.

Jack n cherie should be done by now, right? Yay!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

I just decided to check tracking and Cherie is about halfway done.  I'm not 100% sure what Jack's name is IRL, but there's one guy from his hometown out there running who is hauling ass.  If it's him, he passed the 12.5 mile split with an average pace of 7:54. Shocked

GinnyinPA

That is probably Jack.  He is a fast runner.

Zelanie - I hope you weren't out in that cold.  Brrr.  Have you been going to the gym this week or braving the cold?

Obie - enjoy your rest day.

Tracilynn - what did that trainer do to you?  Good idea to rest if you're still hurting.

AFM:  27 degrees and snowing hard.  Only about 1/2 inch so far, but they are calling for 2-4 inches before the snow turns to sleet and ice this evening.  We walked Ben earlier and enjoyed the falling snow, but I'll do my run indoors.  It's a good day to put on the Christmas music and decorate the tree.

Zelanie

The guy who might be Jack just crossed the finish in 3:24:25.  Did Jack ever post his time goals here?

Oh- and that's a negative split on the second half, too. Smile

Zelanie

Cherie is past the 18.9 mile split, and her average pace is 25 seconds faster than at the 5.9 mile split!

Rock on, penguins!

LRB

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The guy who might be Jack just crossed the finish in 3:24:25.  Did Jack ever post his time goals here?

Oh- and that's a negative split on the second half, too. Smile

I think Jack was talking about 3:45, but I think we convinced him that was soft and he should look at 3:20-3:25.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

22 and snowing here, but got in a 10 mile LR.  Water bottle froze.  Just finished before it got slick.  35 mile week and haven't run inside yet.

Congrats Cherie and Jack  Big grin  !!!!

I think Jack was talking about 3:45, but I think we convinced him that was soft and he should look at 3:20-3:25.

Yep. I exchanged a few pm's with him over the past few months. He has had a really nice training cycle and I was telling him 3:30 was there for the taking.

Nice job Jack!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

YAY JACK AND CHERIE!!!!

Finished my half marathon! I had zero expectations for it.... I had an incredibly low mileage month, shin splints, and a stomach virus recently....considered DNS-ing several times this week. Finally decided to just do it and take it very easy. Had no tummy troubles, and my shin actually felt FINE the whole time. Everything felt fine actually....not one niggle of any pain, anywhere. And I didn't feel out of shape despite my horribly low mileage lately. It was a hilly course (Central Park) and rather chilly (30 "feels like" 24) but I haven't felt so good running in a long time. I think my deep tissue massage Friday night did my body wonders! So my 2nd half marathon is complete with a time of 2:32:13.... only 10.5 minutes slower than my PR/first half and I ran the whole thing easy. So all smiles here Smile. Oh, and I got to see bluerun, she was volunteering.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Goorun

Yep. I exchanged a few pm's with him over the past few months. He has had a really nice training cycle and I was telling him 3:30 was there for the taking.

Nice job Jack!

+1

I was also PMing with him and suggested 7:50 mpm pace till 20 mile point and slowly progress if everything feels good.

He ran it like a seasoned marathon runner.

Slow and steady never wins anything.