Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguin Alert : The Igloos Are Melting! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Ran 5 miles yesterday in 81 degree heat - that's 20 degrees warmer than anything i've run in since last year. Pace was good but the heat sucked the life out of me. I have 6 miles planned for today and it's supposed to be warmer yet.

Awood - bummer about the dog bite

Zelanie - hope the hip is feeling better

Damaris - how's your rib?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 recovery miles and weights.

Gustav, rib is good.  The chiro adjusted it and hurt like a mother but no more pain.  Welcome to my weather.  Well, we left 80F a long time ago, but take it with you please.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Penguins.  Going to health club after work and possibly a short run.  Still a little sore.

Covenant RR is up on BF.  Really set a low bar for everyones HM debuts.

hog4life

No run for me yesterday, mowed the lawn though. Today will be 5-7 after work. Going to read Jerry's RR.

Philliefan33

Good morning.  5 miles planned tonight.

Off to read Jerry's RR --

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - Your post made me laugh... more on that in a moment!

Damaris - do you ever figure out why the rib was out?

Jerry - the fact you set the bar is an accomplishment!  I was just remarking to an inspiring runner how a mile seemed impossible to me once upon a time.

Mitch - mowing the lawn?!  DUDE   I won't be doing that until May!  ha ha

PF3 - have a rockin' day!

AFM - I laugh at Gustav's post because my kids have a friggin SNOW DAY off from school!  It quit raining around 8-9pm last night.  I woke up around 3am to thunder outside.  Little did I know we were getting upwards of 3" of heavy-wet snow.  ROFL!!  Today is SRD.  Busy day.  I have to report into work early then leave for an out of town for a 2 day conference, 3 hours away.  Next two days are SRDs also, probably a very light 2 miler on Friday evening before my big race Saturday.

Everyone have an awesome day...

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, did 2.5 miles with my buddy last night. We did day 5 week 2 of C25K. He did really well. We started off the C25K at like 9:45m/m and he was so excited that he was running that fast. I told him to do it as long as he could but he was going to have to slow down eventually, our run yesterday was at like 11:15m/m. I was a little dissapointed about that but I just reassured him that its the endurane that is important at first and speed would just come with time/speed training/weight loss.

*Start Rant*

Had a huge argument with my brother-in-law (my wife's sister's husband) for accusing my wife of doing something she didn't do and then trying to tell us we take advantage of his wife? I mean really? We have bent over backwards to help her out over the years while she went through a divorce, school and no job. And the "great" thing is my wife's bday is Saturday and they are going to eat with us. It would all be fine if he would just simply appologize to my wife for being a complete douchebag about the entire situation. Apparently his ego is bigger than his brain, why is it so hard for men to appologize? If my wife and I argue, regardless who's fault it was I'm always the first to appologize in an argument, Its a simple "I'm sorry" its really not that hard and it usually fixes things a lot faster than waiting hours/days/weeks/months or longer (my bestfriend and I had a huge argument many years ago and went over a year without speaking before we finally got over it) for the situation to finally resolve itself...

*End Rant*

Also going to start doing some hill work because I know that I need it. Would this be to much hill to start out with, if we just ran up it once and then back down and slowly work our way to doing it multiple times?

Ok I've never had an issue getting pictures to post. I don't know whats going on. I can't use picasa anymore at work since they merged picassa with google+ because social media is blocked :/ I am now trying to use flickr but it will not post picture!!

Anyways the hill is .31 miles long and inclines from 728.77 ft to 879.29 ft

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Jbj... unfortunately ego's lead to some awful douchebaggery when it comes to family arguments.   I don't know the dynamic but I hope it passes, appropriate apologies made, and birthday dinner is a blast.

Dad on the run.

deleted

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  Today is my Friday, of sorts.  Tomorrow I drive down to Winston-Salem for the start of Sweet Adelines regional competition, woo-hoo!!  Our quartet competes on Friday, and then the choruses compete on Saturday!  My chorus is not competing this year, so I get to settle back and enjoy the harmonies on Saturday, which will be all kinds of fun.  Our quartet had an awesome rehearsal last night, so hopefully we put THAT performance on stage on Friday!  At any rate, our goals are to gain contest experience (for me, mostly, as I've never competed as part of a quartet) and to have a blast, so woo-hoo!!

Gustav -- I think acclimating to the heat this year is kind of a joke -- it's gone from 40 degrees last week to 90 this week!  Who can acclimate that fast??  

Docket -- have a good run and weights!!

Jerryb -- I'll have to go find your RR!!

hog -- DH has started muttering about mowing the lawn too.  I'll believe it when I see it!

Phillie -- enjoy your 5!!

N-Bug -- be safe in the snow!!

jblack -- sorry about the domestic issues!!  Hope BIL settles down and things work out!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.  What a busy rest of the week we have: track meets for both DDs today and tomorrow, meeting after work tomorrow, extra credit project with older DD on Friday, younger DD has a dance on Friday night, track meet all day Saturday where I am working the triple jump, and swim meet Saturday a d Sunday. Somewhere in all that I need to get in about 25-30 miles of running. I think I will be doing most of it at night starting tonight with seven. What a week!!

have a good day.

6.5 miles this am. 72 degrees 93% humidity, but at least the wind was blowing 20 mph. no wonder the igloos are melting.

i think i need some toe help. i bandged it too many times on the trail the other day I guess. I may be losing toe nail #3 soon Smile

losing toe nails makes me feel like a runner. a bad runner than bangs his toes on rocks and falls too much, but still a runner Smile

make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Morning!  Work today, then a couple hours of conferences, then I get to run!  Just two easy miles today.  Hope it goes well.

Gustav- I'm hoping you feel more adjusted to the heat for today's run!  It will happen!

D- Enjoy the recovery miles!  Glad the chiro adjustment did the trick.

Jerry- I thought you had an awesome debut.  I was just thinking last night about how cool it was that you and DW trained and ran the race together!  I know with the weather it was really tough for you guys to get your LRs in as well.  But now you know you can complete the distance, and you have an awesome base for next time, right?

Mitch- Enjoy the run later.  We still have to mow our lawn, boo.  The dogs are trying to eat it, but they can't keep up.

Margo- Hope you have a good run later!

Vance- Snow day?  That is crazy!  Hope the roads are in good condition Saturday, as well as the trails!

Jimmy- I looked up my C25K, and it looks like in Week 1 I was running  close to 10:00.  That very quickly went slowed to 12:00 pace!  But I was able to get through the program that way, and once I had done that, my pace started coming back down gradually.  Sorry about the situation with your BIL.

HsM- Enjoy the competition!

Jack- Sounds like the week will go by quickly!

T-rod- Sorry about the toenails.  Are you sure it's from banging it, or is there a chance your shoes might have something to do with it?  I got horrible blood blisters on my second toe with Asics, a little callousing with Mizunos, and nothing but joy and happiness from my Sauconys.  So it may be about finding the toe box that's cut just right for you.

Philliefan33

It's going to be a rough day on the hunger front.....10 am and I am already digging into my afternoon snack. Blush