Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguin Alert : The Igloos Are Melting! (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awood, saw your dog-bite photo from yesterday.  Sorry about the bite!  Hope you got info on the dog, that  its shots are all up to date, etc.  Rabies shots are no fun!

I've been bitten by one dog in my whole life....a damn chihuahua!   Which is not even a REAL dog, sheesh!  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

From all the coughing for the two weeks I was sick with severe asthma.  Hope it does not happen again.

Gustav - Your post made me laugh... more on that in a moment!

Damaris - do you ever figure out why the rib was out?

Jerry - the fact you set the bar is an accomplishment!  I was just remarking to an inspiring runner how a mile seemed impossible to me once upon a time.

Mitch - mowing the lawn?!  DUDE   I won't be doing that until May!  ha ha

PF3 - have a rockin' day!

AFM - I laugh at Gustav's post because my kids have a friggin SNOW DAY off from school!  It quit raining around 8-9pm last night.  I woke up around 3am to thunder outside.  Little did I know we were getting upwards of 3" of heavy-wet snow.  ROFL!!  Today is SRD.  Busy day.  I have to report into work early then leave for an out of town for a 2 day conference, 3 hours away.  Next two days are SRDs also, probably a very light 2 miler on Friday evening before my big race Saturday.

Everyone have an awesome day...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I'm sure you don't want to move to Miami.

PLEASE!!!!  Or, I may just move...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And don't talk to me about humidity.  Dewpoint specifically.  Thanks!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

If yall want to move south, then come on. I would like to move more north, I hate the summer heat. Just saying....

down here on the texas coast, we get what we call "winter Texans" I sometimes want to become a winter Canadian or something.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No personals because I'm at work...

but I skipped the gym last night for bar trivia with my girlfriends and WE WON!!! We tied for first with another team, had sudden death overtime tiebreaker round and tied again, then double sudden death and we won! Yay us!

I decided to skip spin class this morning and run instead since I didn't get to run yesterday and hate missing miles, especially for no good reason. 2.5 very slow miles...my legs felt like bricks (first run since my double race weekend so I am not surprised!) but it was already mid 60s at sunrise, so I wore capris and a TANK TOP and wasn't even cold...amazing! Love spring weather finally arriving!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

Supposed to be 82 here today but lately the forecast has been off and ends up being 5 degress warmer than they predict.  Bad storms here tomorrow.

Awood, saw the bite.  That sucks.  What did you do to provoke him? Evil J/k little dogs are the worst.  And when the owner says,  "dont worry, he wont bite...". Watch out!

Kristin, congrats on your bar trivia win!

Just ran 2 miles on trails in my neighborhood today.  Saw a groundhog and a snapping turtle.  Ran through a field Full of bumble bees Joking Kinda scary but survived.  Then ran walked another 1 mile.  Gorgeous day here in AL.

Take care PENS

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Gustav - that heat wave is why I'm staying indoors today.  Good luck on your 6.

Jerry - I'll read your RR as soon as I'm finished here.

Margo - hope your 5 go well.  Do you have a second snack at hand, since you already ate your afternoon snack?

Mitch - I saw my first lawn mower yesterday.  I'm hoping we can wait another month or so.  As dry as it has been, nothing is growing here.

Vance - hope it doesn't snow on you on Saturday.

Jimmy - 11:15 is actually a good time for a beginner.  Don't push him too much.  Sorry about the fuss with the BIL.  Hope it settles itself before the birthday dinner.

Jack - wow!  I hope you find time for yourself in all that family activity.  Do you have a treadmill?

Zelanie - hope your two miles is painless.

Tomas - I was also raised in the desert (Tucson) so humidity really gets to me.  Mid-eighties here today, but the temp is supposed to drop at the end of the week.  I've switched to Brooks, and find they are pinching my toes much more than my Asics did.  No toenail bruising ye though.

Scotty - your pace was probably slowed down by your visiting the drinking fountains too.  Unfortunately, that's not an option around here.  If I want water, I have to carry it.

Awood - how's the bite doing?

HopesMom - have fun this weekend.  I'm sure you'll do well.

Damaris - can't believe you still ran when you were coughing that badly.  You are strong.

Kristin - glad you enjoyed your run.  It's not spring here, it's summer, but hopefully we'll get spring again soon.

Tracilynn - I love seeing wildlife when I'm on the trail.  The one saving grace from my run yesterday was seeing deer and snapping turtles.

Cherie - I saw an Arizona Trail newsletter today that made me think of you:  they're having a 13 mile trail run on the 27th.   Will you be participating?

AFM:  Treadmill today.  We just turned on the A/C for the first time, and hopefully the basement will be cool.  At least, my allergies won't be an issue there.

Dad on the run.

From yesterday

Awood - sucks about the dog bite, I've only been bitten once when I was much younger by a ChowChow, he got me pretty good on the leg, had several puncture holes.

Ginny - That was my first time actually running in them... I know, I know I'm ashamed, it was stupid to do 2 1/2 miles my first time out in them but I really didn't think run/walk would be that rough on my feet/legs, boy was I wrong.

I make sure to let him set his own pace, I think at first he felt like he had to prove something considering we have been friends since 5th grade and have always been competitive so I let him do his thing until he realized he didn't have a choice but to slow down. I ask him several times each run if he needs to slow down some that it is ok, but he always "maybe in a minute" then we are done running and he kept the pace the whole time. I'm honestly pretty impressed considering his height / weight. 6'0 220lbs and he probably should be around 170ish for his height. He has lost 10lbs so far though which is awesome, plus when he does drop 20 more lbs or so he might just be giving me a run for my money, lol. At least that will give me a good reason to do speed work.

As for my BIL I don't think its going to get better, in fact my wife told her sister today (her sister was acting like a class A .... and pretty much told Ashley she didn't give a fuck about what happened lastnight and that Sean (her husband) wasn't apologizing) that she didn't think it was a good idea for them to come Saturday. I guess we will see what happens Sad I hate drama, sorry for venting here but I have to vent somewhere and you all are like family to me.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Someone on the Dailies gave out a tip on a really good shoe sale going on at Running Warehouse online  I got a pair of my beloved ASICS Nimbus - about the only shoe that really works for me.  And I got it for about $50 less than what they usually cost, nice.

I got this one below...because, as y'all know from my race reports, I wear a variety of matching colors (shirts, socks, headbands,etc) when I do my events and my running, lol.  Gail says I am going through some kind of midlife crisis.  I told her to count her blessings, matching colors running clothes in my old age is better than me (from her viewpoint anyway Big grin) getting a blonde and a motorcycle.

This ONE model will match ALL my stuff, lol,  my orange stuff, my red stuff, my blue stuff, my black stuff, my green stuff, my yellow stuff...yeah!    This tangle of color (colors) got this shoe model to be named Nimbus Brite Lite. Bright is right!  Think I'll be able to be seen from afar in this?  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yes! I like those, Scotty! I will have to check out that sale.

Docket_Rocket

jblack, vent away.  Hugs.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SheCan

AFternoon penguins!

N-bug-- danged, that weather so doesn't look good.  Hang in there.  Too bad you can't make a quick trip down south.

Ginny-  I had to look up the race you were talking about.  I WISH I were running it.  Unfortunately I already have a race that day.  I'm doing the only local trail race I know about around here.   It's too bad I can't do them both!

Jimmy-- I'm sorry about your family drama.  I'm going through a bit myself, and I know how stressful disagreements can be.  Many hugs.

Scotty- awesome shoe!

I did 14.5 today on the trail.  Was mostly good except on one leg of it where I had a headwind in my face, but at least I wasn't hot!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Those shoes are HAWT

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just had a surprise second run today....kind of. I have to stay at my fulltime job until late this evening for Parent Teacher conferences, but we have an hour break between when we are done with our work day at 3:30 and when we have to be back for the parents to come at 4:30. Because the school I work at is cheap, we have to clock out and clock back in and don't get paid for that hour so most people leave. A coworker asked me to go for a walk in the park with her for exercise, since she is missing her class at the gym tonight for Parent Teacher Conferences. I happen to have my old running shoes in the car so I said sure, seemed like a good use of time. She was asking me questions about running, and asked if I would try jogging with her. We did a half hour of power walking/slow (very slow) jogging. In kakhi pants and a nice top, lol. It was nice though and she really appreciates it and I gave her a copy of C25K and she is all into starting it. She was so excited she was able to jog because she never tried it before. It was fun. Now, off to see all the kiddos parents.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to