Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Suckin' In the Caffeinne! (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty, 6 done with 20 x 200/200 intervals.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Nov 19th!  Today is Drink A Carbonated Beverage With Caffeinne Day!

"And could I have a small diet soda please."

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Scotty - you are tired!  It is Thursday =P

I think tempo run for me today on the treadmill because it'll be raining most of the day.  The treadmill can set the tempo for me and then I just have to hang on ;-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - you are tired!  It is Thursday =P

I think tempo run for me today on the treadmill because it'll be raining most of the day.  The treadmill can set the tempo for me and then I just have to hang on ;-)

Yeah.....duuhhh...I went back and changed the title....

Very nice run/walk last night on the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Weather was sooooooo sweeet - 74 degrees, humidity in the 30% range, and very low dew-point too - I was feeling really good and instead of my planned easy 3 miles, ended up with 4.5 miles.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Scott.

Looks like and another indoor run for us this afternoon.  Distance is negotiable.  Snow tomorrow Sad

From the Internet.

Ahh I need all the caffeine today. So much to do!

Midweek medium-long run of 9 miles this morning. Started off a little stiff, felt really awesome from mile 5 to the end. The medium-long is always my favorite run!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I probably should be sucking down more caffeine, as I was entirely too groggy on my drive in to work today.  But aside from a noon faculty meeting, there's not too awful much going on at work, so I foresee a power nap in my future.  Yesterday's protein class was fine -- I don't think they were quite ready for the depth of information I threw at them, but oh well.  Quartet rehearsal was also good, chorus rehearsal tonight!!  Christmas gigs start right after Thanksgiving.

PAD -- good morning, woo-hoo for your 6 and intervals!!

Scotty -- I'm not much for sodas, but I could go for some coffee!!

sapf -- don't let the TM get ahead of you!!

Jerryb -- snow, already??  I left my jacket in the car today because it was just too warm!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your 9 miles!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning Scotty, 6 done with 20 x 200/200 intervals.

Animal!

GinnyinPA

PAD - that is a lot of intervals.  Good work.

Lauren - my favorite distance is 6-8 miles.  Not enough to get really tired, but enough that I feel like I've had a good run.

Morning Scotty.  Sounds like a nice run yesterday.

Jill - good luck with your tempo run.  Are your legs recovered enough for speedwork?   I thought the rule of thumb was no hard running for as many days as you did miles in a race (e.g. 26).

Jerry - enjoy your run.  Is it raining today?  How much snow are they expecting?

HM - enjoy your Christmas music rehearsal tonight. I hope you get a nap in too.

Hi Sly!

I have a short run on the schedule for later.  It rained a lot last night and this morning but seems to be quiet at the moment, so I may go outside.

Philliefan33

Rainy here today, but I still plan to get out for about three miles after I get back from grocery shopping. If it is too wet I'll take it to the TM.

Ginny (from yesterday):  the quilt for my mom is a wall hanging with no pattern name. It has stars on a background of earth tones, so I guess I'll call it "Stars in the Woods". Quilting is a nice hobby, and you can get started for a couple hundred dollars with a basic sewing machine and a few cutting tools. Of course like many hobbies, there are many things to spend money on later. Sort of like hiking or running. You can get started with a decent pair of shoes....but then there is clothing and backpacks and gps watches and race fees etc.  A lot of the women in my quilting group have top-of-the-line sewing machines that cost $15,000!  That's crazy. I have upgraded from my starter machine, but still spent less than 10% of that.

HsM:  I can't help but think that you and DD work in similar research fields. She is also working with/analyzing proteins.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill - good luck with your tempo run.  Are your legs recovered enough for speedwork?   I thought the rule of thumb was no hard running for as many days as you did miles in a race (e.g. 26).

I ran intervals on Tuesday and was fine.  I think because my hip started hurting at mile 10 of the marathon I didn't really exert myself cardio wise as much as I otherwise would have.  If I can't handle it I'm prepared to drop the speed session or cut it down a bit, but so far I'm feeling okay.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM:  I can't help but think that you and DD work in similar research fields. She is also working with/analyzing proteins.

Might be.  I do proteomics mass spec ... I'm the director of the Chemical and Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Core Facility here at VCU.  Sounds like a nice, lofty title, doesn't it? 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Ran 10 with 6 at MP on the TM this morning.  Pilates later.

And I just had a rib put back in place and I'm crying like a little girl.

BBL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, you and your running adventures.  BTW, my friend bough ScottyDogs or Does.  Apparently is a candy.  Thought of you.

PAD, nice 6.  Did you decide upon your treatment?

Jerry, snow?  We are still in the 90s!  Crazy!'

Lauren, nice 9.

Hope, hope you got a nap!

Ginny, enjoy the run later.

Margo, hope the run is non rainy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page