Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 46 Summer Scorcher 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252046%2520Scorcher%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 46th race of 2019 was the Summer Scorcher 5K held on July 20 at Mission County Park in San Antonio, put on by Soler Sports.  Fairly small event with about 200 or so participants. Race start time of 7:45, with a kids race going on before the main start.  Mission County Park 1 is a nice facility with a couple of pavilions, restrooms, a kitchen and food preparation area, and other amenities.  It borders along the Mission Reach section of the San Antonio Riverwalk trails.

Start/finish area

photo IMG_0994_zps6ykmhoio.jpg

iaapweb for timing, results, etc

photo IMG_0996_zpshuugiqrp.jpg

photo IMG_1001_zpsgfgzwle2.jpg

I think this one chair had some type of sleep power, lol 

photo IMG_0997_zpsnxp4b7m7.jpg

photo IMG_1010_zpsallazbh8.jpg

Race Director Tony with friend

photo IMG_1002_zpsp3ilq1xm.jpg

Food preparers

photo IMG_1012_zps3vdtdvga.jpg

photo IMG_1013_zpsawn4y3bf.jpg

Race day volunteers

photo IMG_0998_zpsmhcelksn.jpg

photo IMG_0999_zpsj86d245d.jpg

photo IMG_1000_zpsr7yktqwj.jpg

Our sound guy

photo IMG_1016_zpsv7vlbxcb.jpg

Bike lead guy and friend

photo IMG_1017_zpspntweic3.jpg

Various

photo IMG_0995_zps9lwxrsoa.jpg

photo IMG_1003_zpsvilowfsw.jpg

photo IMG_1004_zpsxk9xvrx0.jpg

photo IMG_1006_zpsnlhnqtpb.jpg

photo IMG_1007_zpsggjo9vis.jpg

photo IMG_1009_zps5mgkygmt.jpg

photo IMG_1011_zpsaemzhqd6.jpg

photo IMG_1014_zpsxf7tenfq.jpg

photo IMG_1015_zpsm7dao48w.jpg

photo IMG_1018_zpswn9w6iov.jpg

photo IMG_1019_zpstbnctitz.jpg

photo IMG_1021_zpskxskpfoq.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Starting from the main area of the park, we went onto the Riverwalk trails, with some nice views of the river.  Down a long incline and then crossed a bridge to get to the other side of the Riverwalk. Normally we turn right after the bridge and going up a short hill, but this time we turned left at the top of the hill.  I was wondering why the course change, but then saw a sign notifying about Riverwalk repairs, so that was why. We proceeded to a turn-round point, and then back the way we had come out.  This was quite a hilly little course, with a long incline climb to the turn-round point and then back the way we had come, with our downhill at the start now being a long up incline to finish up.  I ended up with chip time of 33:36. My friend Woody was first in our age group, with 26-something. It was VERY darn humid out there on the course, with temps at just about 80 degrees already.

About a half mile.  We did not run up the stairs, thank goodness

photo IMG_1022_zpsnmodhjvj.jpg

photo IMG_1023_zpsylwzjnlf.jpg

photo IMG_1024_zpsvqqpuykw.jpg

photo IMG_1025_zpsavoffaw1.jpg

photo IMG_1026_zpsie0xsqih.jpg

photo IMG_1027_zpsl7hccv5f.jpg

photo IMG_1028_zpsnve2yj7p.jpg

photo IMG_1029_zpsymbbxv5q.jpg

Winner heading to the finish

photo IMG_1030_zpsecf5yoqp.jpg

photo IMG_1032_zps38z2ss86.jpg

photo IMG_1033_zpsvqoxbju7.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

This event is certainly named correctly, it was pretty darn warm.  I was sweat-soaked after my finish.  Got a bottle of water and a banana and then went and sat in my car for about 10 minutes with the a/c on, eating my banana and re-hydrating and just chilling my self for a bit.  Then back to the race area for some after photos.

Two tired old guys resting after the 5K

photo IMG_1047_zpse8povbhy.jpg

My friend Albert was happier when he got his age group medal

photo IMG_1053_zps2crhjill.jpg

Finisher medals for all finishers, these ladies displaying them

photo IMG_1051_zps9m6j0vjs.jpg

Various

photo IMG_1048_zpsvuwabi4a.jpg

photo IMG_1049_zpsienkm43z.jpg

photo IMG_1055_zpsctqeayhq.jpg

Thanks, food preparers and servers!

photo IMG_1056_zpsxxdub8bx.jpg

photo IMG_1057_zpsfmb6mfn8.jpg

First in my age group

photo IMG_1052_zpsmyvgqkal.jpg

photo IMG_1054_zpslpcesxvu.jpg

The finisher medal all finishers got

photo IMG_1059_zpsfmjfavat.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was a bit of a different route for the normal 5K courses used at this park.  A tad hillier than the other 2 courses that are routinely used for 5Ks at this location, and slightly less views of the river.   Even so, nicely laid-out course and a bit challenging – especially for slow old people like me, lol – on the hills.  I noted this in my mind, and plan to do some future training runs using this course.  Nice quality race shirts and nice post-race goodies that included Kiolbassa grilled sausage and Shiner beer.  There was also a post-race water balloon battle, lol, with water balloons exploding everywhere, all in fun and fun to watch too.  I enjoyed myself and would do this one again and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us, including Race Director Lisa, all the volunteers and food preparers, law enforcement folks out there, people who came to support their runners and walkers doing the course, and thanks to other people not doing the event but who were using the Riverwalk trails doing their own thing, thanks for your courtesy and patience to we particvipants out there; and, of course, to all the race sponsors, iaapweb for timing and results, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt