Beginners and Beyond

3 races, 4 days, one RR (and a Baboon in an orange vest) (Read 131 times)

Hip Redux

None of these races are worthy of a full write up necessarily, but I figure between the three of them, I might have something to interesting say for a RR.  :P

Race 1:  Crosscountry race - ~2.5 miles with 300 feet of climbing.  26:32 final time, putting me in the final 1/3rd of finishers (lots of strong trail runners run this, who have no hesitation in bombing down steep trails!).  It's two loops - the first loop stays in the farm grounds, mostly grass (and mud), the second loop ducks into the woods for some trails.   The final climb killed me last week and killed me this week again.  I have to take a walk/run approach - my goal will be to run this whole thing by the end of the summer!   It's not un-similar to hills around my house, but the added difficulty of the terrain and late afternoon heat eats up any strength I have on hills, apparently.

Race profile:

Splits (that climb in mile 2, ugh):

10:21/13:25/10:56

Race 2: Second attempt at a mile.   Unlike the last attempt in the spring on a pancake flat route, this course was a little lumpy and the weather really sucked.  7:28 final time - only three seconds off, but such a big difference in terms of execution.   I left enough for a final kick and while it felt difficult, I wasn't OMG WTF dying for the first three quarters.   The last quarter hurt, but hey, it should.   

400m splits:

1:57 7:48/mi  (slight uphill)
    1:52 7:28/mi 
    1:54 7:36/mi (slight uphill)
    1:46 7:04/mi  (downhill)

Race 3:  5k   This race is one I do every year, and every year I say I'm not going to do it again because it's always so hot and humid.   And yet, I did it again this year and the weather was crappy.  Roll eyes

This was my warm up (I'm in orange).  I was not in the mood to race, at this point.  I was hot and grumpy. lol  So yeah, no warm up.

The race started and I immediately was behind people going way slower than I wanted to be going.  I didn't think I lined up too far to the back, but I must have.   Constant weaving and at one point, I had to go up on the grass shoulder to get by a group running 5-wide and speed walking.

I finally get by and get some room, and I am in a groove and feeling good.  I passed a ton of people, which is not my usual MO, and I passed by the two ladies I had started with... wow, who is this person cruising along?  Huh, that's me.    I hit the mile 2 marker and clock and realize that I am at PR pace and feeling OK.   Whoa.

Mile 1: 8:45

Mile 2:  8:33

And then mile 3.   Oh, mile 3, how I hated you.   A big boulevard, with no shade, along with the only significant climb.  It was HOT.  Then... as I tried to keep my pace up, I got a side-stitch.   The wheels, as they say, fell off.... and were melting into the pavement.

Mile 3:  9:20

I willed myself to the end, and as I'm moving my sad-self to the finish with whatever kick I had left, some lady decided to elbow me out of her way in the chute.  Like, c'mon.   As you can see in the picture, there was PLENTY OF ROOM to pass me.   No need to friggin whack me.   Annoyed.

0.1: 8:41

Time: 27:47.  Fastest 5k this year!   Top ~15% of finishers, too. Give me a flat 5k with good weather and rested legs, and I think my PR is toast.  Big grin

Oh and if you made it this far, here is your orange-vested Baboon (which I know is the only reason why you opened this, jjs).  Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Is that (finally) your face?  You look strong in that second picture.  And great job.

Ahem, that is hilly for this Florida runner, LOL.

Thanks for including Phil's pic!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Oh, and my Garmin was still on the auto-lap at 400m from the mile, so the damn thing was buzzing at me the whole race with my quarter mile pacing.  Roll eyes

Will run for scenery.

Hey Baboon, awesome threads !  Thanks for getting whassername to post it !  Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats on 3 strong races! You're a racing machine! Love the pics....and you have a true talent for keeping your face out of pics.

Love Baboon in the vest!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

You are setting up to have a great fall racing season.  You are keeping these race times in perspective, while imposing new stress on your body.  The resulting adaptation will repay you under favorable conditions.

I did not think so in the other pic, but Phil does look like his uncle in this one!

Hip Redux

D, Kristin, LRB - Thanks!

jjs - told ya. Roll eyes

You are setting up to have a great fall racing season.  You are keeping these race times in perspective, while imposing new stress on your body.  The resulting adaptation will repay you under favorable conditions.

As you know, I've been holding off on anything but easy runs except for racing.... and I'm now realizing why that was the right plan for me (thank you Nobby!)  to get through this season.    My right leg has felt 'off' since the mile race - hard to explain, but sort of that feeling that your leg is about to fall asleep/pins and needles, but not yet totally asleep?   Walking back to the start of the mile was weird because I couldn't quite feel my foot.    The bike ride that afternoon helped, actually, and I felt good enough in the 5k, but it's still not 100%.

No back pain, so that's a real positive.   But I'll probably not go through a 3 races in 4 day schedule again anytime soon. lol

LRB

But no back pain, so that's a real positive.   But I'll probably not go through a 3 races in 4 day schedule again anytime soon. lol

You were in shape enough to handle it so that's good.  Now, it's back to running easy and you should be fine.

Nice racing! Quite a variety of challenging conditions, you have no fear. But why should a bear be afraid of anything? An orange-vested Baboon on the other hand...I think a remember a National Geographic special about that one, quite a few natural predators (orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists).

And thanks for the pics, I am getting very close to having enough for a composite sketch.

Dave

LRB - too friggin'   funny.

I did not think so in the other pic, but Phil does look like his uncle in this one!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Your last slow mile in your 5K is still faster than my fastest mile, lol.   Congrats on your 3 events, way to go!   Yeah, looked like there was plenty of room there at the end, that was pretty rude of someone to whack you.

Posted by Damaris:  Is that (finally) your face?   Gee, I didn't even notice her face, I was looking at those Great Legs of hers. Big grin

Walking back to the start of the mile was weird because I couldn't quite feel my foot.   That sounds like maybe you had a touch of sciatica. It may originate from your back, but it can 'present" from the back and/or anywhere down your leg, all the way down to your toes.  I've had it a few times over the years, since my back problem flared up in 2003. It's a weird feeling, like your foot has kind of 'gone to sleep' after sitting on it in a weird position for a while. .  Sometimes it can take a few days to a week or so to 'calm down", sometimes faster than that.  I generally find that if I ice my back where the sciatic nerve originates in the back, this tends to help.  Also the exercises my doc gave me to do for it when it occurs help also.    Glad you had no back pain, that's a good thing!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Oh yeah, Scotty, I'm sure it was something like that - when I first herniated the L4/L5 my leg was on FIRE!  And then moved into this sort of numb, pins and needles thing.   This was sort of that, but a little different.     It's ok - just part of what I have to deal with... but my body was definitely starting to say "Uh, ok dummy, enough."  :P

Good racing, Oski.

I think Phil should have worn his mouseketeer ears with the orange vest Big grin

Hip Redux

Thanks Dave & Jay!

Nice racing! Quite a variety of challenging conditions, you have no fear. But why should a bear be afraid of anything? An orange-vested Baboon on the other hand...I think a remember a National Geographic special about that one, quite a few natural predators (orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists).

And thanks for the pics, I am getting very close to having enough for a composite sketch.

In your composite sketch, can you make me look like Julia Roberts?  K, Thx.  Big grin

Jess runs for bacon

I would have flipped out at that girl. Not cool. I tend to road race rage though when people do stupid stuff.

Congrats on some pretty solid performances Smile