Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dry Comal Creek Winery SARR 5 Mile Whine Run (Read 16 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT REPORT

This was my Race #42 for me for 2015.  Held at Dry Comal Creek Winery, the San Antonio RoadRunners (SARR) put this event on every Labor Day, followed by a great after-party on the winery grounds.  After I finished, one of my fellow SARR members who was a volunteer with the event told me there were about 1,100 or so participants.  I had not run 5-mile distance for about 5 months - my longest run in a while had been 4-something - and I knew this course is VERY hilly, so I was a bit leery about if I could do it.  I figured I'd probably walk a bit more and finish in something like 1-hour 15-minutes or 1-hour 20-minutes or so; but I surprised myself and managed to finish in an hour and one minute chip time, 1 hour 2 minutes gun time.  I guess those weekly hill workouts I do really paid off today.    Wasn't even CLOSE to placing in my age group and  didn't think I would anyway; it's all good, I did 5 miles, my longest run in a while and I finished standing up on my own two feet, which is always a good thing at my age.    The guy that was first finisher did the course in something like 36 minutes.. or maybe that was the overall Masters...even so, .with all those hills......zowie!

LONG REPORT WITH PHOTOS

On Friday, when I went to get my packet for the event, this was what someone had written on my packet envelope, lol.  I guess all these races and photos I do, I'm getting a bit known in the local running community.

photo 001_zpsa6jsbzii.jpg

Nice tech-tee shirt that participants got

photo 002_zpsyv6sxkif.jpg

Before the Start

I had not done this event in a couple of years and could not remember how long it would take me to get to the winery from my house. 7:30 a.m. start time for this race.  So I got up at 5:30, fed the 'kids" (mine and Gail's 7 cats; Gail is my wife, for those who don't know) and then drove to the race site - it took me all of 30 minutes, lol.  Dang, I could have slept in another 30 minutes!    Oh well, nice to be early and I got a nice parking spot right across from the winery entrance, so would not have to walk far back to my car after the party, sweet.

The first folks I met were my fellow Team RWB (Red White Blue) member, the lovely Cecy, and my friend Curtis, who like me is retired Air Force, and I hadn't seen for a while.  They were volunteering this morning.  Had a nice chat with them and got a photo...and Cecy had an 'angel glow" from her reflective vest, lol.

photo 006_zpsqogv6efb.jpg

To get to the start area we had to walk a bit down from the winery, go over a field, cross a street and then go up to Vintage Oaks subdivision area where the management and residents kindly indulge we hundreds of runners by allowing us to use their property.  As you can see, even before the race started, we had to go up a hill to get to the start, lol.

photo 007_zps3fmw1fnt.jpg

photo 008_zpssrvq4aif.jpg

Wandered around taking some pre-start photos....

photo 009_zpssuqtm145.jpg

photo 010_zpskwhncskv.jpg

photo 011_zpsnrquf71q.jpg

photo 012_zpsg5jpn9uv.jpg

photo 013_zpslgluy70g.jpg

photo 014_zpshj5w9qqf.jpg

photo 015_zpszcqt6hcj.jpg

photo 016_zps3clxtkdm.jpg

photo 017_zpsehpc0kgi.jpg

photo 018_zpsck2ccdrk.jpg

photo 019_zps3c5s79xl.jpg

....and then we were off!

On the Course

Where is the flat part on this course?  Right at the start and finish line for about 50 yards or so from the timing mats.  After that, you are on hills the whole way, both going out from the start and coming back to the finish.   And these ain't no baby hills, folks!  Not quite San Francisco hills, but still....

And so the hills begin.....In these photos, I am looking behind me....

photo 020_zpsaxc2fe2u.jpg

photo 022_zpszp8uopyd.jpg

photo 024_zpsxy9rrlil.jpg

photo 025_zpslaa6gr2a.jpg

photo 027_zpstwkhf505.jpg

....and ahead of me......we are running right into the sun at this point...it was already 82 degrees at 7:30 start time

photo 021_zpsgsgezbnb.jpg

photo 023_zpsupze8sor.jpg

photo 026_zpskatj6ukx.jpg

Next set of hills...I'm at the top of a downhill looking where I'm going to end up..

photo 028_zpsg37fbgtz.jpg

On the uphill in the previous photo and now looking back where I just came from..

photo 029_zps96lwyy7r.jpg

photo 033_zpsef6j99bd.jpg

photo 034_zpsfr9denq8.jpg

More hill to climb ahead of me

photo 030_zpsfzuqlwwe.jpg

Photo break while I catch my breath...

photo 031_zpsf0bnmk5u.jpg

OK, let's finish this hill off...

photo 032_zpswpff8wet.jpg

Ahhh, downhill

photo 035_zpso8vaoqox.jpg

photo 036_zpsniimxihb.jpg

photo 037_zpsfj5intoc.jpg

photo 038_zpsiaebwuqd.jpg

photo 039_zpsgy38zgas.jpg

photo 040_zps9csns7d8.jpg

I think I can I think I can I think I can...

photo 041_zpsvvvdywfp.jpg

After getting to the top of that, we made a left turn and had a short out-and-back on this road....again running right into the sun for  a bit

photo 042_zpslg763sxy.jpg

photo 046_zpsq64berrk.jpg

photo 048_zpsgusg1ds1.jpg

Looking back where I'd just been

photo 043_zpsskb2tzel.jpg

photo 047_zpsxwlka4bo.jpg

photo 049_zps7y7xmcst.jpg

...and looking at the hill we just came up before doing the turn-around

photo 044_zpsyphwn3tp.jpg

photo 050_zpsg3lbmdry.jpg

We're finally on the road that will get us - eventually, in my case, lol - to the road that then take us to the finish road

photo 051_zps0wvxgg6t.jpg

photo 052_zpszk0crqlc.jpg

photo 053_zps5vdgddd9.jpg

photo 054_zpsk2drzafs.jpg

The last uphill.  We turn right at the top of this road and then it's downhill to the finish.

photo 055_zpsp9yqiyx7.jpg

photo 056_zpsasn9fq7x.jpg

After the Finish

Done!  Yeah, let the party begin!   Every participant got a souvenir wine glass and 2 free glasses of wine, of which there was an abundance, and lots of various types. Sangria seemed to be the most popular from what I saw around me. There was also iced-down bottles of water, canned sodas, all kinds of "appetizer foods" to go with the wine and grilled hot dogs.  And beer - more my kind of drink than wine; yes, I am a peasant.   This is one great after party, held on the winery grounds and the reward for doing all those hills!  I wandered around taking lots of photos of all the folks enjoying themselves - except maybe the winery staff, who were working hard to keep everyone's glasses filled, but they were great people and very pleasant about it all.

photo 057_zps0joatz42.jpg

The wine lines

photo 070_zpsnpktlvi5.jpg

Dry Comal Winery Creek folks serving it up

photo 071_zpswzapksnm.jpg

photo 072_zpskaakp9wn.jpg

photo 058_zpsojfywcvt.jpg

photo 059_zpseg3vbocp.jpg

photo 060_zpscggw6tdv.jpg

Those towels - one of which I got - were nice; iced down and handed to you after you crossed the finish; very refreshing.

photo 062_zpsxbodgz9h.jpg

photo 064_zpsiyj1bnfw.jpg

photo 065_zpsfmxmrf5e.jpg

photo 066_zpsndgi4a1q.jpg

photo 067_zpsfxxiv8rt.jpg

photo 068_zps1ehhmqyx.jpg

photo 069_zps3srpe4ym.jpg

photo 073_zpsjby9ugmd.jpg

photo 075_zpsyf5jxxnv.jpg

photo 076_zpsxu96fevx.jpg

photo 077_zps3myzr03n.jpg

photo 078_zpsgviam0fa.jpg

photo 079_zpslxssqdgt.jpg

photo 080_zpseqrg8i1r.jpg

photo 081_zpshkrq4ryq.jpg

photo 082_zpsykgwmjjk.jpg

photo 083_zpsyv98v7cm.jpg

photo 084_zpsfmg5hbqu.jpg

photo 085_zpskxdgs4hg.jpg

photo 086_zpsjfefvkwf.jpg

photo 087_zpsnalu6vgx.jpg

photo 088_zpsmav1qjvl.jpg

photo 089_zps1thyotqc.jpg

photo 090_zpsltdwtfzz.jpg

photo 091_zpsw9dq05ll.jpg

photo 092_zps1a3mpxvb.jpg

photo 093_zpscppms7ap.jpg

Team RWB

photo 094_zpsacdwtqca.jpg

photo 095_zpsrb7aipa6.jpg

photo 096_zpssnt4e9fb.jpg

photo 097_zpspf7uqekn.jpg

photo 098_zpssfh9ykpk.jpg

Race Director Kimberly and our MC Bob, both of whom did great jobs for us

photo 099_zpsispzon29.jpg

photo 100_zpsntowbmdd.jpg

photo 101_zpsm6uqzkgn.jpg

My friend, Bill on the right, and his son "Aiken Kalfs"....get it? 

photo 103_zpsequdqhn2.jpg

photo 104_zpsjuijcrze.jpg

photo 105_zps6bqtmq0n.jpg

photo 106_zpsbpxcjcv1.jpg

photo 107_zpswch3lpiw.jpg

photo 108_zpsazmf5e1j.jpg

photo 109_zps2fnzqmak.jpg

photo 110_zpsippvtvpt.jpg

photo 111_zpshjg1ckp9.jpg

photo 112_zpse4dg3wsj.jpg

Wait, wait...is it right?

photo 113_zpsotjfmxyj.jpg

OK, got it!

photo 114_zpssvl9rj4b.jpg

Air Force Past and Air Force Present...my USAF retired friend, Curtis, and my USAF active duty friend, John

photo 115_zpsyypsxslk.jpg

EPILOG

Two years since I last did this event and I really have to remind myself to keep it on my race calendar every year, because it is such a great event, hills notwithstanding.  Besides, all those hills give all the participants bragging rights, correct?   It was a real pleasure seeing lots of good running friends out there, some of whom I had not seen for a while, and this event locally has one of the best  - maybe even THE best - after-parties ever, and the 'event atmosphere' for this one is just tremendous, with lots of good cheer and folks encouraging each other along the way and joking around with each other to keep spirits up on all those hills, and so forth. The San Antonio RoadRunners and all the volunteers who help do a great job with this event.  If you are a local runner and have not done this one yet, it is well worth doing, put it on your calendar for the future. .  If you are visiting runner here at the time of this event, definitely check it out, you will not regret it.  Well, maybe your legs might after all those hills...but the wine afterwards does help with that.    Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, etc, who made this one happen for we participants; thanks to the local law enforcement for being out there keeping us safe; and big Kudos to the Dry Comal Creek Winery staff and Vintage Oaks homeowners and management  for letting all we runners and walkers 'invade" them every year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

Wow, Scotty, all dem hills!!  I always envision Texas as flat.  Hahahaha!

Looks like a great party, anyway.  No wonder they get a great turnout!

Docket_Rocket

Hills, ugh!  Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page