Beginners and Beyond

((ETA pics))Debut marathon- Rock N Roll New Orleans (Read 192 times)

Misty

I had written a RR for a FB group I'm in and wasn't going to post it here since I don't really come on here super often! But I've had a few people ask so here it is:

Short version:

Finished in: 4:18:48

Overall: 1122/2610

Age group: 86/222

Background: I started running 13 months ago and in those 13 months I have ran almost 2200 miles, several 5Ks, 2 10ks, a 15K and 2 HMs. I followed Pfitzinger's 12/70 training program and had a rocky start due to illness and calf pain/shin splints. But things got better and I ended up having a pretty good training cycle. I peaked with 2 consecutive 70 mile weeks, ran a couple 17/18 mile LRs and 3 20+ mile LRs. But due to intermittent illness/calf/shin issues I didnt' go into this race with any grand illusions. I'd do the best I could, then plan to do better the next time.

The day of:

We got up at 5am and while I got dressed Michael went down to grab me a bagel from the continental breakfast the hotel offered, but then realized they don't start breakfast until 6:30. I'll be in my corral at 6:30!  Okay. I figure we'll be at the race way early so I'll grab something there; it's RnR, surely they'll have a bagel.

No. No they do not. But they did have bananas so I ate one of those at 5:45 and then we just hung out until I needed to be in my corral.

I used the portalet right before I needed to get in my corral and was relieved that I was able to go; I'd been having GI issues for every run all week and I was so worried about it!

So I get into corral 6 and and the race is due to start in 30 minutes; 10 minutes before the start I realize I need to go to the bathroom again, NOW. I get out and make it to the portalets to find lines at least 10 people deep. Well, better to miss my corral start and start with a slower one than to have to stop during the race.  But the line moved very quickly and I made it back into my corral just as they were finishing the national athem.  Then the first corral left and they started each corral in 1 minute increments.

Race time:

I had decided that I wasn't going to worry about weaving in and out, passing people those first couple of miles; it's just not worth the extra energy. I also knew I wanted to try to see how well I could run the tangents- more to keep my mind occupied than anything. I planned on taking a GU every 5 miles and take water at the next station after a GU.

Miles 1-5: 9:09, 9:21, 9:29, 9:39, 9:29

The first mile felt awesome and our corral was moving well; I had to restrain myself a lot to not go too fast. Then midway through mile 2 my stupid calves started their familiar tightness/burning. I was determined to run through it, even if it meant slowing WAY down. So that's what happened there.

Miles 6-10: 9:29, 9:14, 9:17, 9:19, 9:17

My calves suddenly loosened up in mile 6 and these miles felt fantasic. We had planned for Michael (dh) to be on the route at mile 9, then at the finish so I saw him here and he gave me a high five Smile.

Miles 11-15: 9:19, 9:17, 9:22, 9:33, 9:36

Still feeling good. The HM'ers split off from us mid way through mile 12 and I had a moment of "You could end this now, you know. Just follow the HMs and you'll be done!".

Miles 16-20: 9:45, 10:15, 10:42, 10:28, 10:20

This is where things start going bad. As we know, elevation charts lie. There was no little bump in mile 9 like the elevation chart said, it was flat as a pancake though mile 16. The race description boasts "No hills!" and technically they didn't lie; what they don't tell you is that you go over 4 overpasses from miles 16.5-19. Then you turn around at mile 19 at run back over them again. So from miles 16.5-21.5 you have 8 climbs. At this point I can't even gain time back on the downhills because they hurt worse due to the pounding on my quads.

Miles 21-26: 10:57, 11:15, 10:38, 10:56, 10:30, 10:19

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Part of those first 2 miles were hitting those overpasses again, but in mile 22 I came up on a girl (in her 20's I think) who was walking and crying. I stopped and asked if she was okay and she just broke down. I gave her hug and some encouraging words and asked if she wanted me to stay with her for a while. She said no, that she would be okay, and that I should go on.

I felt bad here. My breathing was absolutely fine, but my legs just wouldn't go. I wanted it to be over but the miles were going by so slowly. In my head I had it broken down into 1/2 miles..."okay, you're at 21, just make it to 21.5. Yay, you did it, now get to 22....etc".  There were people all around me walking, bent over, vomiting. Compared to them I was doing great.

I was tired but not injured, I tried moving faster but just couldn't hold it. I was discouraged, even though I knew that this was going to happen. Suddenly, at mile 24.5 I hear my name. Michael surprised me here! I saw him and burst into tears. He ran with me a little ways and told me he'd see me at the finish.  That little pick me up was just what I needed. I smiled the whole rest of the race.

.24: 8:12 pace.

You enter the chute right at the 26 mile mark so it's a looong chute with people along both sides. I just pushed hard and was smiling and felt like I was flying (although I'm sure it looked more like a gramace and a shuffle :P).

That's my race. It was disheartening seeing my overall pace drop as the race progressed; at one point I felt like I could come in under 4:10; then 4:15. But obviously I couldn't hold it together and managed a 4:18:48.

I'm choosing to be happy with it Smile

Here's a pic a few minutes after I finished:

Misty

Bless your heart.

way to go.

keep up the good work. get some rest, some recovery and enjoy being called a marathoner.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

The first marathon is such a learning tool, and it looks like you picked up a lot of great lessons along the way. From learning what to do about eating before the race to understanding what the later miles will feel like, all that stuff will make your next experience better. You've been running such a short time and you're already running great mileage. All those miles will keep accumulating in your body and you'll just keep getting faster. Congrats on finishing your first, and I'm so glad that you came across the line with a smile (or at least what felt like a smile) - that's how it should be.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Chairman

Hey, good to see you overcame all those shin issues and made it to the finish. It might not have been perfect, but it's true what they say. You always remember your first, and it's good if it can be a good memory.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Misty

Thanks T-Rod, SIAR, and Scrape!

I learned a TON this race and will definitely be set to do better next time. I'm just glad it was a positive experience vs a miserable one.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Rungry!

Great race report! 13 months into your running career and you've ran a marathon? You are my hero.

Jen

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on your first.  Sounds like you learned a lot with this one (first one I always call it the dress rehearsal).  Good luck on your next.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nevrgivup

Thanks for sharing your RR here Misty. You should be proud of it and be yelling from the roof tops that you just completed a marathon! I'm so proud of you!!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks for the RR.  As someone who is registered for a November marathon, I'm always interested in reading about someone's first experience with the distance.  I know there are a lot of possible outcomes, and they aren't all that predictable.  I love that you said, "I'm choosing to be happy with it".  So many race reports about first time marathons focus on what went wrong, and they forget, "OH YEAH, I JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST MARATHON".  I don't expect my first to go perfectly.  I'll be elated if it does, but imagine there will be some struggles along the way.  You overcame yours, and have a race under your belt that you can be proud of.  Congratulations!  Awesome job.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

runmomto3boys

Even though I read your report on FB, I read through the whole thing again here, Misty!!   I am just SO freaking happy that you finished the race as strongly as you did, with a GREAT time and having learned a ton - not to mention crossing the finish line with a big ole smile on your pretty face!

The fact that you had to battle all of that business, yet you managed to still hit your 70 mile peak x 2 (not to mention the mileage you put in on the other weeks) is seriously, incredible.  Most people would have bagged the race or just have put in the minimum required to get them to the line.  Not you.  You were an inspiration to me and lots of others.  For anyone who doesn't know, Misty is completely downplaying just how sick she was during training (particularly the second half) and how much that and the calf garbage interfered with her training. She really is a rock star!

How fabulous do you look post-race too?  You are one gorgeous, fast chick.  I'm so happy for you!!!  Thanks for putting together the report and congratulations on your first marathon!

aplodder

Susan

Nice race!  I'm VERY impressed that you used Pfitz 18/70 for your debut.  That's a tough training cycle.  Congrat's!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You did awesome!!! Sorry the last few miles were tough, but you stayed strong, put one foot in front of the other and made it through!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Supersono99

Sorry it didn't go the way you had hoped. You still did very well, but I understand your disappointment. Your photo is great, you look like it is a before picture not an after! congrats on finishing even if it didn't end the way you'd dreamed.

SheCan

What a great race!  I can't believe that you're one bit disappointed by anything in this race.   Wow@ starting to run only 13 months ago.  Your progress has been awesome!  How you stopped and encouraged that girl at mile 22 speaks volumes about you--- that really is a nice story.  Congratulations for such a great marathon debut!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Misty

Thanks everyone!!  I hope I didn't come across as overly disappointed- I'm not! I know I didn't finish in the time I "should" have based on other race times but all things considering, I'm thrilled! I learned a lot and I'm so glad to have my first under my belt so I'll know what to expect for the next one Smile

Heidi, you are the best! Seriously! :smooch:

Misty

Bless your heart.