Beginners and Beyond

((ETA pics))Debut marathon- Rock N Roll New Orleans (Read 192 times)

paulski66

miscreant

That's a pretty sweet debut.

Don't be discouraged by the pace drop at the end of the race. It happens to most. You should see my splits from my first Chicago fiasco...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice job, Misty!  I'd say that was a very fine effort, one you should be proud of.  That was mighty neighborly of you to stop and check on the young lady having issues sacrificing your own time to make sure she was OK.  Bless your heart!  ;-)

Running for TJ because he can't.

MrNamtor

what a great job! You have achieved a hell of a lot in 13 months. Seriously you should be extremely proud. And that's what you look like after running 26.2? Fabulous.

LRB

I ran through the valley of death from miles 19 through 25 and just looked straight ahead.  Sometimes I would say hang in there, but mostly I was trying to keep from becoming one of them, so I just kept running.

Your half mile strategy at the end was very smart, i ran mile to mile which took forever.

It's very sobering when you realize just how far a quarter of one mile takes to run during those last miles.

All told you ran a great race and should be proud as I know you are!  Should you decide to run another, you will be better for it because you have gone through it once.  That doesn't make it any easier, or less miserable though ha-ha!

Congrats!

We hear a lot of not so good things about RnR, what was your opinion of the event as a whole?

delicate flower

Misty, great job and a big ol' CONGRATS on nailing that first marathon!  Just keep on running and you'll be amazed at what that'll do to those later mile paces.  Smile

<3

Misty

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!

LRB- this race was extremely well ran. Nice expo, started on time, not crowded during the race. Mile markers with a time clock every mile, tons of photographers; aid stations every mile with water and Powerade, several stations with GUs, candy, and cookies. Tons of crowd support throughout and a band every mile. Afterwards, the shuttles ran constantly and we didn't have to wait at all. It was a great race that I'd reccomend to anyone!

Misty

Bless your heart.

I ran through the valley of death from miles 19 through 25 and just looked straight ahead.  Sometimes I would say hang in there, but mostly I was trying to keep from becoming one of them, so I just kept running.

Your half mile strategy at the end was very smart, i ran mile to mile which took forever.

It's very sobering when you realize just how far a quarter of one mile takes to run during those last miles.

Man that sounds so familiar...my reason to keep running (using that term very loosely at the end) was just to get the damn thing over with!

And yeah, we are all so used to a mile being nothing in a training run, it's amazing how much they stretch out at that point. (I kept telling people how rude it was of the race organizers to make the miles longer at the end.)

And they tricked me by putting all the aid stations at half-mile points. I distinctly remember passing 21, then aid station (thinking it was another mile), then seeing a sign I fully expected to be 23. When I saw it said 22, I just screamed F***!!

Dave

happylily

You had a great year of running and a great training cycle. I hope you're proud of yourself! Congratulations on your first marathon! Hard to believe that that picture was taken right after the race... :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I distinctly remember passing 21, then aid station (thinking it was another mile), then seeing a sign I fully expected to be 23. When I saw it said 22, I just screamed F***!!

Charlevoix was my first, and I swear mile 23 took an hour to run to!  There was actually a moment where I thought that I somehow must have run past it without seeing it that mile lasted so long!

tinman11

Great job!  Your first 26.2 finish time was about the same as mine a few years ago.

That was a great report.  Your husband did a great job with support too.  Sounds like his surprise visit towards the finish really helped.

Congrats on your debut, Misty!!  You put in a lot of hard work - Pfitz 18/70 is tough.  I had a similar fade in both my marathons, so reading your RR made me relive my experiences with that.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I'm so happy for you! I know you went through a lot of crap a couple of months back, but you came back with a vengeance! I really admire your tenacity. You did fantastic! *hugs*

Luke79

I gotta say, I'm mad jelly that you got to see Kara, Shalane, Mo and all flying by.  I bet that was insane.

Congratulations on your first marathon. Nice job!

workinprogress11

Great job on your marathon and congratulations on your first year of running.  You've done really well!