Beginners and Beyond

Tip & Ring TuesDAILIES (Read 46 times)

LRB

Tip and Ring is a term from the phone industry, which was primarily used to differentiate phone lines. In a residence for instance they would be the red (ring) & green (tip) wires or black (tip) & yellow ones (ring).

The actual origin had to do with the "plug" an operator used on the manual switchboard, with tip being the literal tip of the plug shaft and ring being on the sleeve of it.

Anyhoo, a million years ago (1989) I had a stint as "the telephone man", installing and repairing phone lines. I could only guess what my life would have been had I remained on that career path but alas, I made a hard left in 1990 and now some 25 years later my job is sending me on a 2 hour drive to Lansing at WTF? O' thirty in the morning to take a test FFS.

Hmm, maybe I should have made a right.

Cyberic

This heat is getting to me. Gonna run my intervals on the indoor track at lunch. I hate that track (square with somewhat rounded corners) and they don't have AC in that place, but at least it will be many degrees cooler than outside, and no noon sun hitting at me with a vengeance.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper body weights after work. I usually don't run on Mondays, but the weather people are calling for severe storms this afternoon, so the switch made sense. It poured overnight, now off to work with the hope that there is no flooding on my route.

delicate flower

Good morning, people!  Tonight is Triathlon Tuesday, but I'm going to skip it this week.  Between the triathlon two days ago and my 14 miler yesterday, my legs aren't ready to go at race effort again.  Not to mention I'd like to save my legs for this Sunday's duathlon.  The Tuesday races are fun though.  *sigh*

I'd blame the rain for skipping a morning run today, but really I was just too damn lazy to get out of bed.  I'll squeeze it in after work.  

<3

Little Blue

I'm going to try a few miles before the next thunderstorm.  It's a big-un, might derail work today.

I also took a severe hard turn, career-wise.  An accountant by training, I worked in the field for 18 years before a layoff.  While temping, I started helping our friends in the lawcare business when they needed extra hands.  That morphed into a perfect job for me.  Well except for the whole heat thing.  But I don't have to take tests.

happylily

Good morning, Mr Telephone Man! Enjoy the drive down memory lane!

I have 10 miles tonight incl. 4 at HM, it will be a hot one. I'll have to open the two garage doors up by about a foot or so and then everyone walking in the neighborhood will know that the nutcase is at it again. sigh...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am still coughing from yesterday, but I have Pilates and damn it, the 6 I missed last night.  The Everglades are still on fire so I am hoping my husband does not force me to run outside to run with him, LOL.

Wearing a dress for work for the first time since I fell.  We'll see how many disgusted looks I'll get for my knee.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Good morning, Mr Telephone Man! Enjoy the drive down memory lane!

I have 10 miles tonight incl. 4 at HM, it will be a hot one. I'll have to open the two garage doors up by about a foot or so and then everyone walking in the neighborhood will know that the nutcase is at it again. sigh...

I thought you had a fan?  My fan is one of those industrial ones that are the equivalent of a little hurricane.  You need one of those.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I thought you had a fan?  My fan is one of those industrial ones that are the equivalent of a little hurricane.  You need one of those.

I know the fans you're talking about. I don't know how those cost, but yeah, lily, you definitely need one of those.

Docket_Rocket

I know the fans you're talking about. I don't know how those cost, but yeah, lily, you definitely need one of those.

Mine didn't cost that much for what it does.  Maybe less than $50-75 at BJ's (Costco-like place).  Well worth the price.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Good morning, people.

Rick, thank you for starting today's thread. Safe travels.

Cyberic99, enjoy doing intervals.

HCK2.0, have a pleasant lifting session.

Phil, I hope that tonight's run refreshes your legs.

Little Blue, enjoy your run this afternoon.

Lily, have a terrific ten-miler.

Damaris, I hope that the coughing abates soon. I also hope that Pilates and running are comfortable and indoors.

I did 8.1 miles on the TM in 1:11:24. 8:49 pace. I'm glad that I did them indoors. After I showered, I felt cool and refreshed. Yeah, that, didn't last long. As soon as I stepped outside, I started sweating. Just a bit more humid and there would be fog.

happylily

I have a $10 one. It's very small. Like for a desk. I will definitely look into buying a more powerful one. It's become an emergency.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

I have a $10 one. It's very small. Like for a desk. I will definitely look into buying a more powerful one. It's become an emergency.

Maybe this one, affordable, and pushes hard http://www.costco.ca/Sunbeam-45.7-cm-(18-in.)-High-Velocity-Fan.product.100168864.html

From what I understand, there is no real "low" setting on that one. It pushes hard, or harder, or hardest.

Docket_Rocket

You definitely need one bigger than that!  Off you go.  You have homework!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Maybe this one, affordable, and pushes hard http://www.costco.ca/Sunbeam-45.7-cm-(18-in.)-High-Velocity-Fan.product.100168864.html

From what I understand, there is no real "low" setting on that one. It pushes hard, or harder, or hardest.

Mine is a bit sturdier than that one (on the outside) but I bet you it will do a good job.

Damaris

Fundraising Page