Beginners and Beyond

Double RR - Hopefully you get some good info out of it... (Read 50 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Arbuckles to Ardmore Half Marathon - Last minute deal.  A whole lotta pain...

Quick Summary:

A last minute Half marathon, gives me a PR, screaming quads and a very familiar 'I don't like this anymore' feeling in the last 1/4 of the race.  I do get some valuable race experience from racing with one of my coaches and the nature of the course. The weather was to be 50-55 with a light wind at our backs the entire race, 500' downhill for the first 7 miles then 200' up at the last 4 miles.  Pretty good odds to have a great finish time, if my legs would hold out.

Goals:

1st ??

2nd keep up with Mike

Finish time:

1:27:03 - 0:59 PR

5th Overall / 3rd Masters / 1st 40-44

http://community.runnersworld.com/blog/2014-arbuckles-to-ardmore-half-marathon-last-minute

6 days later:

Irving Half Marathon - unexpected pacer and outcome

Quick Summary:

I had planned for this Half to be a redemption for my horrible execution of my goal Half 5 weeks prior. However, it was clear that coach had other ideas. I had my goal race and I was to train through this one. A half just 6 days earlier left me less than excited about this race and effort. An unexpected pacer kept me on task and another PR is in the books.

Goals:

1st Run a smart race

2nd 1:25-1:27

Finish time:

1:26:29 - 0:34 PR

5th Overall / 1st Masters / 1st 40-44

http://community.runnersworld.com/blog/2014-irving-half-marathon-unexpected-pacer

completely different experience...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I want to run like you when I grow up...wow

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I want to run like you when I grow up...wow

That makes two of us. Amazing runs, Sly.

Docket_Rocket

Wow!  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Damn your fast! and Damn your fast!

Wow, great job!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thanks . Speed is all relative though, I don't feel fast compared to my team.

(Btw: the 5k 2nd place finisher was Sammy Kiplagat, 40 yo - 14:42...   Damn ... That is freaking fast.)

LRB

Your splits in race two were excellent!  And that is some serious age group bling, I would love to have that beeyotch!

Great job on both races, Sly; lots of good strategic stuff in there.

The Irving setup sounds like an awful idea -- let the marathoners go, and then send the HMers out only 10 minutes later to shortly blast through heavy traffic?  Duuuur.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Great job on both races, Sly; lots of good strategic stuff in there.

The Irving setup sounds like an awful idea -- let the marathoners go, and then send the HMers out only 10 minutes later to shortly blast through heavy traffic?  Duuuur.

Thanks LRB & Jay,

I learned a lot from the experience.  As far as the set-up yeah, it wasn't the best idea, even for those of us in the lead HM there were fewer of us but dodging was a bit of a factor.

I can't imagine the congestion when the start of the mid-pack Half hit the end of the mid-pack Full.  It would have likely been around 6-7 miles which was the HM hairpin turn around (on the 10' wide path).

It is easy to think the mid-packers aren't racing since they are not in front.  But that simply isn't true and they deserve a clear and efficient race experience as much as the overall winner does.

We actually passed a woman doing the 5k around mile 12 (her mile 2 - keep in mind she started 20 min behind us on the start line) and had no less than 4 water bottles in her belt...  I have mixed emotions about her...