Beginners and Beyond

arm swing (probably dumb question...) (Read 53 times)

music_girl117

Hey everyone,

I'm in the thick of mile training, and during my 400m repeats today, I noticed that my arms were not swinging as fast as my legs were moving.  They *should* be swinging at the same rate as my steps, right?  I tried to correct it but it took a very deliberate effort; mile pace is fast!  I had to actually think "punch punch punch punch..." in my head with each step and swing my arms really hard to keep up.  Should I keep working on this or is it not worth worrying about?  Thanks.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Since no one else has answered this...

If it bothers you, pain, discomfort or anyway else then you might want to work with someone (coach) to help you change it.

If you're looking to improve your biomechanics then work with someone to help you change it.

If you could care less about either of these, eff it.  You seem to be doing fine just the way it is.

You people have issues 

happylily

Since no one else has answered this...

If it bothers you, pain, discomfort or anyway else then you might want to work with someone (coach) to help you change it.

If you're looking to improve your biomechanics then work with someone to help you change it.

If you could care less about either of these, eff it.  You seem to be doing fine just the way it is.

This ^. Except that it's if you could NOT care less about either of these.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Who needs arm swing, anyway....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

music_girl117

Thanks FSocks and happylily!  I am not experiencing any pain or anything so I guess I will just leave it alone.  I'm not even sure how/why I noticed it yesterday.  My arms do naturally swing exactly in balance with my steps at my easy pace, so they are apparently slowing down (or more likely not speeding up as much as my cadence) somewhere between there and mile pace, not sure exactly where.

Scottydawg that is awesome!!  Thanks for sharing. 

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

LRB

They *should* be swinging at the same rate as my steps, right?  

I actually had to think about this and while I think my arm swing matches my stride, I am not sure that it matters. The next time I am out I will look at that.

In the meantime, if it is taking much thought or effort to match them you may have your answer. In that there should not be much thought going on at all, unless of course you are thinking about your post run snack. 

Cyberic

My arms don't swing much. They're just two ackward things on each side that I prefer not thinking about, because when I do, I'm not sure what to do with them. Personnally I choose not to worry about it.