Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins need a little "Lunatic Fringe" (Read 34 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's right people.  Fire up some Red Rider, "Lunatic Fringe", and see if that doesn't get you ready for the week.  This week is a high mileage week for me, and I'm looking forward to it.  Chi Town HM is less than 3 weeks away.  I've booked the hotel.  The only issue I see is that the extended forecast is calling for rain and 23 mph gusts of wind, but we all know that extended forecasts can be wildly off.  The days surrounding the race look good.  So, they just need to be off by a day or two.  Either way, I'm gonna PR the hell out of that race.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I hope the weather holds out for you, awood. But yeah, you're right, forecasts that far out aren't too dependable so try not to worry. Unfortunately we can't control the weather, so go out there and kick ass no matter what!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD for me!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Hey -- just a quick fly-by to check in.  I had jury duty on Friday, and came back to work this morning to dozens of e-mails.  Apparently some poop hit the fan while I was out...trying to figure out how bad it really was and what I need to do.  Sometimes a "crisis" on Friday isn't so bad by Monday.

SRD for me today.  Got all of my runs in last week -- still chugging along.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

good morning!!!

awood---can't wait to hear about your HM, and I think you are right, you will PR the heck out or the race!!

morning, everyone! Have a great day, friend and I are running at 9, and it feels like 11 degrees outside right now......which is NOT my favorite...please wish me the strength to make it. I am not as hard core as some of you that can run in sub zero temps! LOL.....maybe someday!

My goal today is 2 miles, since it's been awhile since I've been out there.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Monday!   On Saturday, i did my 15th race of the year, The Diploma Dash 5K.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/c7e91714dfcf4691ab510b0487f73157#focus

Sunday I did a long run - almost 6 miles, my longest run/walk in quite a while; not so long for lots of folks here, but pretty long for me, so that's progresss.   I did my run in the nice and peaceful Medina River Natural Area.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/479612b9740f4bad8861d884a180957f/resume#focus

After I got home, I was quite thirsty...I think I got a tad dehydrated on that open cement in all that sunshine!  I ended up drinking quite a lot of water the rest of the day.   I guess my cat must've had quite a workout too, she was drinking lots of water herself...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

Back on nightshift so heading to bed. I plan on getting 3 or 4 in today. Wife and started a gorilla workout that we downloaded on the iPad  it has 4 levels and I started on level 2. It's nothing crazy just a few body weight workouts that you do every day for 30 days then move to the next level. I also started a program that works you up to 25 pull ups over the course of 4 levels, 7 days a level taking every other day off.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the high mileage week, Awood!

Happy SRD, Kristin!  Read your report...wow,an hour and a half on a subway one way, that must be a fun ride!  Roll eyes  Especially post-race.

Good luck with getting all the 'poop' cleaned up, Margo!

Good luck with the run, Tori, and you are hard-core, 11 degrees is pretty flippin' cold!  Heck, I get cold under 50 degrees, lol.

Best wishes for your miles, today, Jimmy, and good luck with the planned workouts.  That pullup thing sounds like something I need, lol, I can do about a half-pullup right now.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

awood- thanks for getting us rolling this am. I usually start to obsess about the weather before races. I have no Idea why I do, but its crazy. If the wind is blowing 23 MPH, make sure you have a cape so that you can fly along with it when the wind is behind you.

kristen- enjoy the rest

Phillie- way to get your runs in.

Tori- take those 2 miles slow and have fun.

Scotty- what do you have planned for this weekend? if you have a cheap race, I may go do it. We start spring break friday and we might be headed to that area.

jimmy- enjoy the gorilla workouts. kick its ass.

Rest day here- busy weekend down here. Saturday I knocked out just over 14 miles before I got to stand on my feet for several hours at a high school track meet. the sun wasnt bad, but the wind was horrible. Sunday AM, I did 10 with a 5 min positive split on the 2nd half. I was pretty pumped about that. We practiced some T-ball and I mowed an empty lot where my wife is going to coach my son's t-ball team. His team has 3 coaches, all teachers. I dont know if the kids will learn hos to play, but they will learn how to act Smile

HAve a great day friends

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have an SRD and a vet visit after work.  Off to court.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Pewpewpew

SRD today and Im  happy to have it my legs are a little tight after yesterdays six miles.

Scotty- six is a lot for me too

T-Rod- funny you should mention a cape...I just bought Awood a flash tshirt it only seemed right since he is getting so darn fast.

Zelanie

Morning!  My 14 went well yesterday!  I'm so happy I tried the HM course because it turned out to be pretty flat and easy.  There is a long steady climb from miles 6-8.  Very gradual, not terrible at all.  But it just seemed to be never ending, and I had thought there was a steep part just up ahead at mile 9.  But instead of that, you get to mile 8, get a nice gradual downhill, and then the "steep" part is actually almost flat!  During the race I don't know if I would have wanted to push it up the gradual slope if I was thinking there was a tough part still coming.  Now I know what's ahead, I think I will be able to power through.

Awood- You are going to rock the socks off that HM!

P3- Congrats on your run yesterday!

kristin- Enjoy the well-earned RD!

Margo- Good luck sorting out the "crisis!"

Tori- Hope that you have a great run!

Scotty- Cute kitty!

Jimmy- Good luck with the new workouts!

T-rod- Sounds like you had a great weekend!  You and Mitch both got back to back double digits!

D- Hope the vet is just for checkups this time!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I had an awesome time in Orlando, starting with the first day we got there!  Our room wasn't ready yet, so we did 36 holes of adventure putt-putt in 86 degrees, and it was awesome!!  The first time I'd been truly warm in months!  And we spent the week walking all over creation, going up steps and hills and such, and my knee only bothered me a little, so I am all kinds of psyched.  It's been such a relief to not be in constant pain.  I did catch a cold around Wednesday, but even that didn't damp my good humor much, and we had a grand time.
                              Let's see, swimming today, and tonight our quartet auditions for one of the directors, to clear us to compete!

Awood -- yeah, I wouldn't be planning on the weather just yet.  Have an awesome week!!

kristin -- enjoy your SRD!!

Phillie -- hope the crisis evaporates!!  I have a ton of catch-up work to do as well.

Tori -- let's see, it's 10 now, how did it go?

Scotty -- awesome kitty pic!!

jblack -- good night!!

T-rod -- enjoy your RD, sounds like you've earned it!!

Docket -- have a good SRD, hope the vet visit goes well!!

Pew3 -- have a good SRD!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your 14!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Fun at the Lego store!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.