Beginners and Beyond

I need to Rant about Something.......... (Read 50 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so not all know but I've been running since 2010. Through struggles and injuries and pregnancy and post and blah blah blah. Granted, I am not a fast runner and never will be. I didn't run my first half marathon until a year and a half after starting and I ran my first full 4 years later, with many half marathons in between. In 2016 I ran two trail marathons.

I know I don't train specifically to get faster, and I do a lot of weight training which probably doesn't help at all. I'm okay with that, I love running AND I love weight lifting. I don't care if I will always be a mid-packer when it comes to long distances.

Now for my rant....

There's a guy I grew up with, he only played baseball and was always kind of chubby. Never really showed interest in running up until 2017, I noticed on his facebook he had started running. He lost quite a bit of weight (you can look him up - Jeff Stilwell), and he was training with a few of the fast runners in my area. Last year I started noticing many of his race times were just crazy sub 7 min/miles, I would say closer to 6 min/miles, even his half marathon. He was placing!!! Curious, I looked at some pics they had showing him, the guy looked like he was jogging 8-10 min/miles....... compared the elites who looked like they were sprinting or pushing it.

My jealousy immediately said "cheater", but I blew it off and told myself I was just being jealous of how amazing he is doing with less than 2 years of getting into running.

This last Saturday he ran the Carmel, IL marathon with a sub 3 hour finish............ 

In his post, he claimed he hadn't made his plans public due to fear of not doing it or finishing...... hell I didn't care if I finished or not when I trained for me first marathon, I told EVERYBODY.

I don't think he has strava or garmin or any of that, so I can't see his miles or routes... of course I've never dug that deep because I shouldn't really be letting it bother me damn it.

Am I just being jealous and mean, or are my feelings legit?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Looks like he ran the first half at a 6:25 pace and had a fun last 10k.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Looks like he ran the first half at a 6:25 pace and had a fun last 10k.

Yeah, I just find it hard to believe he ran a sub 3 hour marathon..... maybe it's my jealousy.  😖

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

While not common, that kind of performance is possible.  I was by far the slowest runner on my HS team which is one of the reasons I quit running after HS.  I picked up running 4 years later and much to my surprise in two months I was blowing away my best HS times by a lot.  Within a year I had run 1:13:03 for 12 miles (prorated that's about a 1:21 HM).  Just short of two years after I restarted I ran 2:59 at Boston in my first marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

Yeah, I just find it hard to believe he ran a sub 3 hour marathon..... maybe it's my jealousy.  😖

you should have that marathon investigation guy Derek look into this.

(just kidding, you really have no evidence to suspect he cheated)

KCRuns

If he's been running halfs close to 6 minute miles, then his marathon is consistent with his prior performances.  You don't know what's going on in his life or how much work he's putting into his running, so I don't think it's fair to compare your experience with his.  If he found something he enjoys and also happens to be good at it, I think that's something to encourage and celebrate.

delicate flower

Sounds like he is lucky enough to have some natural talent.  Meh, it doesn't take away from anything you've done.  There will always be faster people, no matter what.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is this guy in his late 20s? That helps A LOT.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

He's 31, like me. I'm trying not to be a hater, damn it. I can stalk someone he trains with on strava, since he doesn't share his runs. Seeing it will help me realize that he does in fact put the training in.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If he's been running halfs close to 6 minute miles, then his marathon is consistent with his prior performances.  You don't know what's going on in his life or how much work he's putting into his running, so I don't think it's fair to compare your experience with his.  If he found something he enjoys and also happens to be good at it, I think that's something to encourage and celebrate.

I do encourage it on his page, but this has been on my mind and I wanted to get off my chest 🤷‍♀️

PRs

Cyberic

I know a guy who is a 2:40 marathoner. Ok he's been running for longer than your friend, but by the BnB dailies standard, he does not train very much. But he IS a 2:40 marathoner.

Some people are more gifted than others.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know a guy who is a 2:40 marathoner. Ok he's been running for longer than your friend, but by the BnB dailies standard, he does not train very much. But he IS a 2:40 marathoner.

Some people are more gifted than others.

True

PRs

Runshortii

I wonder what his training is like? It is possible.. I know a couple of women who didn’t start running until after they had kids and are both really good, one of them is a 2:41 marathoner. Some people are just more gifted naturally

Village people

Sounds like he is lucky enough to have some natural talent.  Meh, it doesn't take away from anything you've done.  There will always be faster people, no matter what.

This. Look at what you have accomplished. You will go crazy comparing yourself to others.

Pics don’t always tell the tale. I watch my kid run and I would swear he is lolligagging. He isn’t.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True true.

I guess I'm just frustrated with my legs and this constant weird soreness, it's got me so pissed off and unsure of when it'll stop or what caused it.  And seeing him excel so quickly, I can't help but stare at my current sucky situation.

PRs