Beginners and Beyond

Wake up WednesDAILIES (Read 44 times)

Little Blue

Everyone must be out running already!

URD for me.  My first day working after three months off really kicked my ass.  And I have to go back today and tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.  Holy cow, I'm tired!

Little Blue

And a question for Those Who Know.:  is two weeks off from running enough to seriously lose fitness?  I ran 4 yesterday, but geez did I suck wind!  I felt like the first time I ever tried to run a whole mile without stopping.  My legs were OK, but my breathing was seriously bad.  I even had to walk 30 seconds or so up a hill that I usually don't even think about.

Hoping I've just regressed, and there isn't something else wrong.

delicate flower

Hello, and welcome to WEDNESDAY!  I got to the pool early this morning for some laps...a short workout as these things go.  I am going easy until my race this weekend.  I've got an hour of running to do later and it may be on the TM if this wind doesn't die down.  I mean, it's not just windy...trees are coming down and people are losing power.  

And a question for Those Who Know.:  is two weeks off from running enough to seriously lose fitness?  I ran 4 yesterday, but geez did I suck wind!  I felt like the first time I ever tried to run a whole mile without stopping.  My legs were OK, but my breathing was seriously bad.  I even had to walk 30 seconds or so up a hill that I usually don't even think about.

Just my opinion, but I think it's probably normal to feel some sluggishness.  I wouldn't say you've lost any fitness though.  You'll be back to your old self after a few runs.

<3

From the Internet.

Morning! Planning to run 4 at some point today.

Too much work yesterday and my shoes didn't show up until 4:00 so I didn't have time to run in them. Tried them on though.

LB - Two weeks off isn't enough to lose much fitness, but I'd still wager that it wouldn't be unusual for the first run back after two weeks off to feel hard. I'd only worry if you still feel like that after a few more runs.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Unless you were never a consistent runner I doubt you lost any fitness. Just chalk it up to a tough run.

Rest day for me. Yay.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

LRB

Good morning.

I ran 6 outside and to say they were slower than molasses would be an insult to molasses everywhere!

I am not sure what is gong on but my legs have been dead for about 10 days now with very little life. As a result I have nixed my midweek speed session this week as I did last week as well.

I am guessing it is the higher mileage (don't laugh , 50 miles per week is high for me!) coupled with extended speed intervals and duration (over prior years), and if that is the case then fine, the training is working. If not then I just suck and need a new hobby. lol

In any event there is no sense running myself into the ground, that is not why I run. So it will be easy miles the rest of the week and I will reassess this weekend.

I'll let you know.

My answer is yes & no. There will need to be a ramp-up period to get back into it, but it will be a relatively steep curve, nothing like when you first started running.

Trying to decide when to try another run. Just got my new 220 delivered yesterday, making me even more itchy to get out there. Managed to get the thing set up last night, without reading any instructions. At least I think I did.

Dave

happylily

Morning!

Count me in as another runner with a booboo. I've had a sharp pain on top of my big toe (right one) whenever I point my foot. Like when I stretch in bed. It feels like burning acid is being thrown on it and it's excruciating. As soon as I stop the stretching movement of the foot and return to a normal position, the pain goes away. Been like that for two weeks and never had that before. Anyone has had that before? Totally bizarre. I hope it's not arthritis... I will schedule an appointment with a doc if it's not gone in two weeks. I don't want it to get worse because the pain is pretty intense. Why must we be so fragile? It's infuriating...

I have a med-LR after work.

Have a great day, everyone! It's rather cold here today, but at least it's sunny. I may go play outside with the kids despite the cold. Need to toughen up those little buggers to prepare them for what lies ahead.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Totally normal! I have always felt sluggish after returning from 7-14 days of vacation with no running. LTH would say double the time you took off before you feel completely normal again. I think it's about right. Good luck!

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 5 miles tonight (thankfully!).  Another tough workout tomorrow, so that 5 come handy.

Blue, I think that's totally normal.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Totally normal! I have always felt sluggish after returning from 7-14 days of vacation with no running. LTH would say double the time you took off before you feel completely normal again. I think it's about right. Good luck!

whatever happened to LTH?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

whatever happened to LTH?

He's over on the RW forums, but he drops a post here every month or so.

<3

Little Blue

Thanks, everybody, for confirming that I'm not abnormal.  I'll use LtH's rule of thumb to see how I recover from recovery.

Lily, that sounds awful!  It sounds like something nerve related to me (but I know nothing).  It doesn't hurt when you run, like pushing off?  I guess the answer is, don't stretch in bed.   How about icing your foot, in case there's inflammation somewhere?

LRB

I have never had an issue returning from a layoff. Granted, running the same paces may seem a chore but you shouldn't struggle, unless of course you tried to run by pace and not effort. In that case you would just back off a little bit until you are running your old paces without trying to.

happylily

Thanks, everybody, for confirming that I'm not abnormal.  I'll use LtH's rule of thumb to see how I recover from recovery.

Lily, that sounds awful!  It sounds like something nerve related to me (but I know nothing).  It doesn't hurt when you run, like pushing off?  I guess the answer is, don't stretch in bed.   How about icing your foot, in case there's inflammation somewhere?

Oh, I know NOT to stretch now.  Didn't think of that, but you're right that it does sound nerve related, because it's only when I point the foot. I'll trying icing and maybe some anti-inflammation stuff. Thanks!