Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Cha-Cha Thursday (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!

I take back what I said about speed work yesterday. Though it seemed relatively easy at the time I am all sorts do sore today. That's probably a good thing Smile. Book of Mormon was absolutely hilarious last night. I highly recommend it. It is probably the best musical I've seen in several years. Today I'll do 4.5 easy on my new

best friend - the treadmill.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cha-Cha in and tell your story today.

AFM:  I did go do a run/walk after I got off work yesterday.  3.3 miles done in the Zoo Park, just a nice 'easy run in the park'  in 37:15 and I felt pretty good the whole way.   A bit of a breezy 50 degrees, with cloud cover, so not too bad.  Then I went home and took my doc's advice and slept...and slept and slept and slept.  Lots of sleep is exhausting!   I woke up in a kind of a fuzz this morning, but a nice hot shower got me feeling much better.   I feel just about back to my old self today.   Back to work today for a full day and then post-work - or maybe a rare lunch time run/walk around the university campus - a very easy few miles again.  Our weather is changing again...getting a bit warmer today - up to 60 degrees - tomorrow near 70...and this weekend near 80 for the high!  With plenty of sunshine all days, so that's nice.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning all!

I take back what I said about speed work yesterday. Though it seemed relatively easy at the time I am all sorts do sore today. That's probably a good thing Smile. Book of Mormon was absolutely hilarious last night. I highly recommend it. It is probably the best musical I've seen in several years. Today I'll do 4.5 easy on my new

best friend - the treadmill.

I'm not fond of musicals, but I'd like to see this one because I was actually raised Mormon - which I am pretty far from these days! Hope your soreness goes away quickly!   Good luck with your TM miles, sapf.

Traci, nice new avatar, that is a great photo of you!

HsM:  Sorry your brace keeps slipping, that stinks.  You might go to an athletic store (Academy Sports, Dick's Sporting Goods, something like that) and get some 'stickum'..this usually comes in tube form, like Body Glide, and is sweatproof and you can rub it on your leg, where the bottom of the brace 'connects' with your leg, and then press the brace against the stickum and see if that will hold it in place.  This has worked well for me in the past with a brace that slipped a bit.  Another option for you may be some sports tape, you can tape the bottom of the brace to your leg.   Hope you figure something out!  I would also contact your seller and tell them the problem and see if they might have a solution.  Good luck!

Quote from Kathleen145 on 2/4/2015 at 9:54 PM:

Bringing up the rear Penguin about ready to shut down.

Ran a 3 mile two run this morning before the light snow came. Supposed to be frigid tomorrow.

Love hearing about everyone's day to day adventurers. Keep up the good work my friends.

Well, Kathleen you look good in the rear!  Wait a minute...that came out wrong...    Congrats on your miles and glad you beat the snow.  Stay safe and warm in that upcoming frigid weather!

PADRunner

Morning, no cha-cha for me just 6 on the tm done.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles done (in hot and humid conditions).  Pilates and weights later.

Cha cha cha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins! 4 for me today to stay ahead of the pace bunny.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

I could not wake up this morning. It's too gray out and snowing (AGAIN) now, definitely staying in bed weather. I'm about an hour behind schedule as a result, various meetings for the next couple hours and then hopefully catching up on the stuff I had planned to do at work early AM and running at the gym in the afternoon if I can make the time/find the energy - wanted to try for 6 or 7 miles today but will probably have to settle for 3, if anything. I hate the cold and I hate the treadmill, but this way at least I'm starting to get some of my heat adaptation back before the weather warms up - they keep that place uncomfortably warm for anything more strenuous than a brisk walk.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Rehearsal last night was good, but I was in a fair bit of pain this morning with my knee.  Since I'd been fussing that the brace didn't stay put, I remembered that someone here (Zelanie?) had had good luck with taping for patella tracking.  So I looked up some videos, grabbed my box of KT tape, and stuck myself up.  Except my tape is old and not the most sticky in the world.  Anyway, we'll see if that helps through the course of the next day or two.  If so, maybe I'll buy some new tape!  At least it's not sliding down at the moment ...

sapf -- glad you had fun at the musical, and enjoy your TM run!!

scotty -- Glad you're feeling better, and enjoy the weather and easy runs!!  I see your brace advice, but it's going back.  $90 for something I have to rig is not on.

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6 done!!

Docket -- woo-hoo for your 6 done, too!!

Stone -- have a good 4, and drop that bunny in the dust!!

Lauren -- Yeah, I'm so ready for spring!!  Although we haven't had much snow here, and I do like a good snow day ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm glad you're feeling better.  Weird how exercise really can help sweat out the nasties.

sapf - I love musicals - or at least, I used to.  I haven't seen one since Chicago.  Sorry about the DOMS, but a few miles on the TM should help.

PAD - good job on the early miles.

Damaris - Sorry it's so hot already, but at least you got your miles done. That heat is why we only stayed in southern FL for two days.  Enjoy the pilates later.

StoneFence - good job keeping ahead of the pace bunny.  It's a relentless beast.

Lauren - you're an optimist.  Summer seems very far away at the moment.  Enjoy your TM run later.

HM - I agree about sending back the brace.  Good idea, but not for you.  I hope you find something that works better.

AFM:  the cold is back (high of 26 today) so I"ll be doing my four on the TM.  This is a roller coaster week regarding temps - 20s to 40s to 20s. For some reason, the warm days are supposed to be wet and the dry days are supposed to be cold.  Not fair.

on my way to badass

HsM and Ginny- Tghanks for the 'atta girl. Pace bunny is beaten off for one more day. I hated that run though. Not sure why. The streak may need to be broken for my mental healthSad I want to keep it going until Valentine's day when I will have my last birthday in my current age group.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Quick check in.

8 easy later.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Headed for the gym (which I finally joined 2 weeks ago).  They were doing a big push to get members to sign up for personal training sessions which I didn't plan to do - then I won a drawing for 5 free sessions!  So I'm having my first session this morning; finally going to start some core/upper body work.

obiebyke

sapf-- I'm jealous! I want to see that show.

D-- I must've missed it. How's kitty?

Guys, I ran today! Woohoo! Another ~1 mile test run. There wasn't much coughing, but my lungs are nowhere near 100% still. I just don't feel like I'm getting the oxygen I need. Hoping it's not pneumonia. I'll keep doing test runs and hope it clears up. Just glad to get out there.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I think I must be really sick and twisted. When I saw the 5 degree forecast last night, I thought, "Great! I can join the more miles than degrees club this year!". I woke up early to a full moon and bright stars. Ran 5.2 to break the mark. It was soooo beautiful this morning. No wind and just enough snow to cover the ground. My tracks were mingled with deer and rabbits on the golf course trail. By the time I finished, my eyelashes and face mask were frozen. It was awesome!! Wanted so bad to take a selfie, but the juice on my phone ran out. By the time I got to the charger, my face had melted.

Is there something wrong with me?

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K